Lurker
Yes, I did watch the episode and, yes, he didn't show any outward sign of resentment. I just can't see any reason for anyone to object to Daigo being competent (from an in-story perspective ... or even from an audience perspective, but each to their own.) The whole thing seems paradoxical to me. If Daigo can't grow stronger because he's already strong enough, what's the problem?

How can he be "too perfect?" The hero is supposed to be perfect
The problem isn't that Daigo is already strong enough. The trials were supposed to use their weaknesses and overcoming to bring out the power they need going forward but since Daigo doesn't have any weaknesses there's no way for him to learn how to access the power boost everyone else got.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I guess it's a good moral lesson for kids but I still think it's lame, like it's validating the complaints of people who thought Daigo was "too perfect." For me, the hero is supposed to be perfect. I do like Tendou un-ironically though so ymmv ...

I guess it's a good moral lesson for kids but I still think it's lame, like it's validating the complaints of people who thought Daigo was "too perfect." For me, the hero is supposed to be perfect. I do like Tendou un-ironically though so ymmv ...

But if he can't get stronger he can't beat the Meteor guy and then he wouldn't stand a chance against the generals so you could see why he has to go. This is why I said J should of been the leader of this years Sentai. Unlike Daigo his perfection is already at max power.

But if he can't get stronger he can't beat the Meteor guy and then he wouldn't stand a chance against the generals so you could see why he has to go. This is why I said J should of been the leader of this years Sentai. Unlike Daigo his perfection is already at max power.

So you want J to pair up with another Gold and get his little metal heart broken again come February? Sick, Masta.

The complaints were kinda... right though. You just can't have a character without some kind of flaw, and that's the point of this arc. You can not like it, but when was the last time we had a "perfect" hero with zero problems? Daigo has really stood out from other reds like this, and I think that, rather than slap on some arbitrary weakness or give him DRAMATIC backstory out of nowhere, as is often what's done, this was a damn fine way to deal with what most would consider objectively a problem.

There's also the issue that there's nothing really to Daigo other than being awesome. Tendou had a lot going for him and was awesome for it. Daigo, on the other hand, is just a really shallowly written character this far.

On that note, I have to agree with that sentiment a little. A character like J or Tendou would have been fun to see as a red... Though then again, if they were anything like Captain Overhyped-- er, Marvelous, then maybe not.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Anyone else bothered by the fact that, for the second week in a row, they fight a 'solid' enemy that their normal weapon can't scratch...and no one thinks of using the Deinosgrander??

Though then again, if they were anything like Captain Overhyped-- er, Marvelous, then maybe not.

Oh, how witty :rolleyes2:

I've yet to see any any "overhyped" Red that beats Akashi, whose sole point of appeal seems to be "looks conventionally masculine" and "isn't a 'screaming' Red". If Daigo had reached that level, then I would agree there was a problem. But I view Sentai as fun escapism that's a basic good vs evil battle with toys to sell, not as a serious and well-crafted story

There is nothing shallow about how Daigo has been written :sly:
Sure there is. All there is to him is he's nice and good at everything.

I mean, I'm not saying the other characters are full of depth (Souji, outside of his focus episode, is probably the next most lacking character), and this IS Sentai. But I'm talking comparatively, and compared to, say, Amy, Utchy, Ian, or Nossan, Daigo's definitely just missing an oomph - maybe because all he IS is an oomph, and it starts looking like the writers are trying too hard after a while.

Don't misunderstand, I love the guy, but still.

I've yet to see any any "overhyped" Red that beats Akashi, whose sole point of appeal seems to be "looks conventionally masculine" and "isn't a 'screaming' Red". If Daigo had reached that level, then I would agree there was a problem. But I view Sentai as fun escapism that's a basic good vs evil battle with toys to sell, not as a serious and well-crafted story
So basically "it's okay that they don't try because I view it as something where they don't need to"?

I'm not saying it needs to be a serious, epic drama with running plotlines, but that's a pretty lackadaisical way to go about it too.

So basically "it's okay that they don't try because I view it as something where they don't need to"?

I'm not saying it needs to be a serious, epic drama with running plotlines, but that's a pretty lackadaisical way to go about it too.

For me, what's entertaining is action and spectacle. If that's lacking, I agree they're not trying. What is not entertaining to me is loads of character drama, "believable" flaws and "relatable" characters etc. If I wanted that, I'd read a book. I do enjoy heroes with an ongoing arc - Shotaro's a good example, since we're talking Riku Sanjo. But Shotaro was always pitched to the audience as this person who had screwed up deeply and yet you wanted so hard to see himsucceed. Daigo was pitched as perfect, so I want to see him be perfect.

I don't think there's a right or wrong to it besides opinion and what you take from the show? I could be wrong. I just can't see why wanting a perfect character is different from wanting a character with superpowers or anything else that is not attainable in the real world