D

Dr Kain

So I just finished Volume 50, which featured the end of Thriller Bark and the beginning of Sabaody and I have to say, Thriller Bark was freaking hilarious. Whether it was Luffy's first question to Brook, Brook's obsession with panties, to Franky building a bridge in like 2 seconds, and Usopp scaring the crap out of Perona, I could not stop laughing. Gekko Moriah was a pretty cool villain too and I liked how the entire arc felt like a homage to The Island of Dr Moreau. I think Alabasta is still my favorite arc in the series thus far (and Crocodile is still my favorite villain), but it was also nice to read a short story arc compared to the lengths of the last three arcs (Alabastra, Skypiea, and Water Seven). On the other hand, I really do like Water Seven since it really had a heavy focus on Robin and introduced Franky (both are my favorite characters), but the arc felt a little too long at times.

Anyway, I really need to slow down as I just ordered Volumes 55-58 off Amazon and I seem to be plowing through 1-2 volumes a day lately. I'll have to get 59-65 in like two weeks if I keep this speed going and then I'll be completely screwed since I'll be caught up on the series with 6 month waits in between volumes.

EDIT: Thought I would just post some updates.

First off, I finally finished rewatching the first three seasons of the anime Funimation released and watched the first set to Season Four. My god, the Foxy arc in anime form is even worse than I was expecting. It wasn't bad enough dragging the arc out, but they added 3 more freaking events to it and they were booooooooooooring. Not to mention they changed nearly all of the funny scenes from the manga. So far, the highlight was getting to hear Usopp and Luffy sound like they were out of a boxing movie when they were coming out for the Combat round. I cannot wait to be done with this freaking crap. I know they have to do filler, but why are they not doing more filler episodes on the stuff taking from the title page to each manga volume? They have yet to do Django's Dance Off, Eneru's arrival on the moon, Wapol getting a new empire, Hachi teaming up with Camy, and the freeing of the Baroque Works members from prison? Three of those are pretty important to the later arcs of the story, so why do they continue to just do filler arc that screws around with the main characters?

Secondly, as for the manga, I am now at the point where Luffy is fighting the Gorgon Sisters and my god, it has just been hysterical. The whole family jewels stuff is so funny. Sabaody was pretty good and very informative about Gol D. Roger and his crew and I cannot wait to learn more about Bartholomew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurker
So now we know which Yonkou Luffy and Law are going after first. I really thought they'd go after Big Mom since Luffy already has a beef with her.

Spoiler

I wonder what Law is trying to do by making Don Flamingo resign as Shibukai.

D

Dr Kain

At long last, after 4 months of reading, I have finally reached the New World chapters.

I just want to say that both Impel Down and the Paramount War were pretty awesome stories. The war itself felt like a great climax to the second act of the series (I consider act 1 to be everything through Rogue Town, act 2 to be from the Grand Line through Luffy's message, and act 3 to be the New World/2 years later stuff) and was done so well (despite it being hard to keep track of what was going on at times).

D

Dr Kain

Sad day, I am now caught up with everything Viz has released. :disappoin

Now what do I do for the next 12 months as I wait for all of Punk Hazard to come out?

Another Climax
Sad day, I am now caught up with everything Viz has released. :disappoin

Now what do I do for the next 12 months as I wait for all of Punk Hazard to come out?

Cheat and then buy it as it comes out for physical copies.

D

Dr Kain

Cheat and then buy it as it comes out for physical copies.

No thank you. This is One Piece we are talking about, not Toku. I'm way too scared of Viz, Shonen Jump, or Funimation coming at me, especially when I am friends with one of the heads of Funimation, so it just wouldn't be right. :laugh:

Plus, I don't like reading manga online, or any books for that matter. Give me a physical copy in my hands to read.

Another Climax
No thank you. This is One Piece we are talking about, not Toku. I'm way too scared of Viz, Shonen Jump, or Funimation coming at me, especially when I am friends with one of the heads of Funimation, so it just wouldn't be right. :laugh:

Plus, I don't like reading manga online, or any books for that matter. Give me a physical copy in my hands to read.

Understandable, but yeah no other way unless you can read Japanese.

I'm curious why you don't like digital? Because Shonen Jump Alpha is a good, legit way to read it regularly, and it kinda serves in the same way as shonen jump in Japan in being largely disposable, so that you still pick up the physical collections when they come out.

D

Dr Kain

I'm curious why you don't like digital? Because Shonen Jump Alpha is a good, legit way to read it regularly, and it kinda serves in the same way as shonen jump in Japan in being largely disposable, so that you still pick up the physical collections when they come out.

When I read books or comics I want to hold an actual book I can feel. There is just something about being able to hold this physical item and turning the pages I cannot get away from. I also don't want to look at a computer screen when I am reading as it sometimes hurts my eyes if I am doing it for too long. Plus, I have 66 volumes in physical format, and as such, I am not going to go digital. If it is something I were to start from scratch tomorrow, it might be a different story.

My girlfriend has a tablet with the Nook app, but I just cannot read more than half a page of a book on there because I just don't like reading off of it.