So not even Dinosaurs can save the ratings for Sentai...

Aronbafon
I think it's more plausible that they noticed the significent amount of toys bought by the collectors and not the kids.

So when you realize a huge chunk of your sales stem from adults they figured to attempt with a show aimed for them.

Lurker
I am still convinced that if Gokaiger hadn't relied on past heroes and suits, then the show would have had much lower ratings.

Something I find lacking is the "wow!" effect. They can change the characters all they want, but you sometimes feel that you are watching the same template, just with new colors.
I can understand that they want to stay in their comfort-zone, but is just not going to cut it.
It does not help that Toei relies on unimpressive and outdated CGI effects.

Gobusters actually DID get on the right track. The problem was that the setting was BORING.
Now, if you took the same kind of characters, same kind of actions scenes and put them into a more exciting environment such as space, then I think the ratings would have been higher.

Gokaiger was the 35th anniversary series. Something special had to be done for it. It was the "Ultraman Mebius" & "Kamen Rider Decade" of Sentai. Otherwise, it would've winded up as another Gaoranger/Boukenger.

Even without the suits of Goranger to Goseiger & without past heroes/past heroines, the show is still very good in it's own way, along with the Gokaiger cast that almost everyone likes.

Gokaiger's plot was shoved aside for Tributes so there's that to it.

Huh? Their main plot was to find the past 34 sentai teams & gain their acceptance in order to find the "Greatest Treasure on Earth" while dealing with Zangyack. How can you say that there wasn't a plot for it?

Man, first Go-Busters failed at being a dark series and now it seems like Kyoryuger is failing at being a light-hearted series. There is just no pleasing these Japanese kids, is there? Its like they have multiple personality disorder. You know, like how last year when Go-Busters aired, they were like, "Aw, but I wanted a silly Sentai", and now this year, their like, "Aw, but I wanted a serious Sentai". Make up your minds, will you?

The general impression I get of the trends amongst the (UK) kids in the schools I've worked for (no, I'm not a teacher before you ask) is that while you might get a small number who instantly watch something because it's the kind of thing they like, shows tend to become more widely popular due to word-of-mouth generating a buzz about it. Kids coming in every Monday morning excitedly explaining to their friends what happened in the last episode (complete with lots of bouncing up and down, arm-waving and wooshing noises). Kids going to play at their friends' houses and having a go with their cool new toy. It takes a lot of time to get any momentum going, but once it does it really becomes something of a craze. So even if Kyoryuger is going to be the great Sentai revival show, I can't see it doing it in three weeks. It's going to take a while yet. If the ratings are still finding new lows in the second quarter, then we can say it hasn't found a new audience.

Even so, I thought that the "Hibiki screwjob" had made it clear to everyone that the toy sales were priority number one? If that wasn't clear enough, the final clincher should surely be that the only official statement concerning Go-Busters' performance regarded its' toy sales. Regardless of what you think of Go-Busters as a show, is it really any wonder that the toy sales figures had dipped when it lacked a collectable gimmick and IMO clearly lacked a simple, sellable central theme (like pirates or dinosaurs) for its' product line (the suits have animal designs on the helmets. The mecha are animals that were more commonly advertised seen on-screen transformed into vehicles and humanoid robots. The weapons are transformed from binoculars and old-fashioned cameras). Yes, if Sentai started tumbling down the top ten boys toys charts, it would be a big worry (each position is worth millions of yen) and questions would start being asked (assuming they haven't been already after Rider overtook it). But if the toy sales are still strong, and that's clearly the primary metric they use to judge results, I'm not going to be concerned about the franchise just yet.

I don't think Akibaranger really tells us anything about the potential for aiming future Sentai at adults. It was only 13 episodes long, and even then they re-used a number of the monster suits, suggesting it was probably on a lower budget-per-episode than the official series are. It looks more to me like Toei putting a lower-level investment into aiming a product at the peripheral hardcore fanbase to tap it for more cash. That may well have succeeded (hence the second series) but it's very different to having mainstream appeal to other age groups. After all, the hardcore toku fans alone weren't enough to bring in good numbers for the highly retro (but apparently less appealing to kids) Gavan movie. Garo may bring in good money by it's own standards, but it's generating only a fraction of what Rider and Sentai shows are expected to bring in. Ultraman's reputation in Japan appears to be far less age-specific, but even it hasn't been able to reverse back from kid-focussed to a more general appeal. I have to wonder if Sentai, currently aimed at three-year-olds, would really have much more success?

I liked him when he wasn't a god
People are asking why Gokaiger and Go-Busters are getting so much hate in this thread. The current Sentai when I joined the fandom was Gekiranger, and since then I think people have become a lot more harshly critical of the shows. I didn't see half the negativity for Gekiranger, or any of the Sentai that were recent at the time, that I have seen for any one that's aired since - even Shinkenger gets plenty of criticism. No, I don't think Japanese viewers are bored with Sentai just yet. I think a lot of the English-speaking fandom is (of course, I'm not saying everyone) and assume the ratings problem must be because the target audience feels the same way.

Last edited:
Man, first Go-Busters failed at being a dark series and now it seems like Kyoryuger is failing at being a light-hearted series. There is just no pleasing these Japanese kids, is there? Its like they have multiple personality disorder. You know, like how last year when Go-Busters aired, they were like, "Aw, but I wanted a silly Sentai", and now this year, their like, "Aw, but I wanted a serious Sentai". Make up your minds, will you?

Well we don't know how kids felt so we can't say that.

No, I don't think Japanese viewers are bored with Sentai just yet. I think a lot of the English-speaking fandom is (of course, I'm not saying everyone) and assume the ratings problem must be because the target audience feels the same way.

I agree but I think it's because most of us don't live in Japan. So we can only infer from things were seeing from here. It could be just a general decline for the block.

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
I agree but I think it's because most of us don't live in Japan. So we can only infer from things were seeing from here. It could be just a general decline for the block.

That's true. I hope for a new time slot ...

While comparing Garo to Sentai I think it's also important to remember that Garo is a pet project of its creator and it took five years to get a second series, it is not like Sentai which runs without a break and which people are working on all year round

Gobusters actually DID get on the right track. The problem was that the setting was BORING.
Now, if you took the same kind of characters, same kind of actions scenes and put them into a more exciting environment such as space, then I think the ratings would have been higher.

Nah, that cast and those characters from Go-Busters would be still super boring anywhere you take them. The show was D.O.A.

Man, first Go-Busters failed at being a dark series and now it seems like Kyoryuger is failing at being a light-hearted series. There is just no pleasing these Japanese kids, is there?

Only three episodes of Kyoryuger aired, it's too soon to say that (not to mention these ratings are unconfirmed). But even if it is, it naturally should take some time until ratings recover from Go-Busters.
Although i'm not convinced all the changes and issues Go-Busters went through were due to ratings. Pretty sure it was mostly due to low sales, like Hibiki. Assuming Kyoryuger sells as it's looking like, it should have a smooth run.

I'm going to bring up a question I asked a few pages ago: Somewhere in the Go-Busters discussion a while back, some people were discounting the idea of "brand fatigue" based on the fact that Akibaranger got made, and that wouldn't have happened if audiences didn't want more Sentai. How true is that?

Akibaranger is different. It was made as a quick follow-up to the older fans positive response to Gokaiger in Japan, and i doubt those fans are tired from Sentai. Maybe nowadays kids aren't as interested in Sentai as in the past, but they're not Akibaranger's target audience.

Last edited:
I fail to see where you see a witch hunt happening. It's just discussion about a topic that can effect whether or not there are more Sentai shows. Obviously people are passionate and would like to see them continue. If there are folks who don't want to discuss or think about the ratings that's totally fine but then this is probably the wrong thread to be in.

That´s not what i meant. It looks like a witch hunt to me when people starts trying to find culprits and reasons that ignore the bigger picture. If it´s not a witch hunt, then i call it overreaction.

From what I understand, all Toei really cares about is the toy sales. So basically, as long as the toys are still selling, Super Sentai is not going anywhere, bad ratings or not. I say we should only worry about Sentai getting cancelled if the toy sales of Toei's current series does not reach their expectations.