So not even Dinosaurs can save the ratings for Sentai...

Toei- Brightly colored dinosaurs that dance the samba won't bring in the ratings. What the hell does the audience WANT?!

We all know the dinosaur motif was supposed to be a safe bet after this disappointing go- busters.

Not even the two most popular themes (Magic and Dino's ) together can bring back marginal ratings from before Goseigers time

Could be the audience has more options than just sentai and kamen rider from 7:30 am to 8:30 am Sunday

Banned
A lot of you people have been doom and glooming for years about sentai ratings.. .And guess what.. Still have sentai.

Super Moderator
A lot of you people have been doom and glooming for years about sentai ratings.. .And guess what.. Still have sentai.

..and a lot of people have been helping themselves sleep at night with the idea that Sentai will never go away for any reason so their hobby is insured forever and ever.

Part of why CarRanger was what it was is because Toei basically thought it would be the last season so they let the creators do whatever they wanted. The show was a success so the ax didn't drop.

While it is not an absolute that the ax will fall on Sentai never think for a minute that it can't. If Toei/Bandai ever thinks it is within their financial best interest to cancel this series they will do it. Yes, the toys are important but if nobody is watching the tv show then no one is seeing the product in the first place.

Lurker
...and a lot of people have been helping themselves sleep at night with the idea that Sentai will never go away for any reason so their hobby is insured forever and ever.

Part of why CarRanger was what it was is because Toei basically thought it would be the last season so they let the creators do whatever they wanted. The show was a success so the ax didn't drop.

While it is not an absolute that the ax will fall on Sentai never think for a minute that it can't. If Toei/Bandai ever thinks it is within their financial best interest to cancel this series they will do it. Yes, the toys are important but if nobody is watching the tv show then no one is seeing the product in the first place.

And that is why everyone is worried about the ratings of sentai in general. Bandai is the one that's funding sentai on TV.

Sooner or later, they'll start going, "What's the point of wasting money airing this program on TV when no one's watching it? We may as well axe Super Sentai altogether & move onto something else."

And that is why everyone is worried about the ratings of sentai in general. Bandai is the one that's funding sentai on TV.

Sooner or later, they'll start going, "What's the point of wasting money airing this program on TV when no one's watching it? We may as well axe Super Sentai altogether & move onto something else."

But then you're getting ahead of yourself because we're not close to that point yet

"Young Justice" is a prime example

Toy sales were terrible. The toy line is cancelled.

With no toys and kid's having no clue when the show will air and in what order the product is left to wither away.

No additional revenue from toy merchandise = sunk ship

Same thing with "Green Lantern" It didn't even have a toy line to promote. Very bad sign

Back to Kyoryuger. If the toys do well then the franchise can limp on for another few years.

D

Dr Kain

Was Sentai 19 minutes? I can honestly say I've never noticed :sweat:

Yeah. Everything from Bioman through the 6th episode of MegaRanger was 19 minutes in length, usually 16-17 minutes once you take out the opening and ending themes. That is one of the reason those series seem to move extremely quickly, at least, for me.

Nice post!!
People in Japan are still more likely to go to a physical store and rent a DVD than to stream entertainment, and I haven't seen any evidence that DVRs ever really caught on.

I wanted to sort of update this. I was incidentally doing some reading today and it just happened to go into two very relevant topics: a) DVR has finally started taking off in Japan in the past couple of years and b) the way Japanese media services report ratings, the numbers currently do not account at all for viewers who are watching programs in time-shifted fashion via DVR.

So if your kids want to sleep in and then watch Super Hero Time over a late brunch, there's simply no way for the ratings to account for these viewers. Given that, if Kyoryuger's toy sales are high, then the low ratings may not actually be as serious a problem as we've been assuming. TV Asahi would certainly have the DVR issue in mind if it's starting to impact ratings.

Was there a reason for the spike in toy sales for the Rider shows?

As far as I can tell, it's just that the modular collect-a-thon gimmicks like Gaia Memories and Medals went over really, really well with children. The Rider Belt toys since Decade, particularly the OOO Driver, have also sold crazy-well. Kyoryuger's battery gimmick seems modeled on this sort of gimmick, and from the early charts, it looks like it's also going over pretty well with kids. It'll be a long time before we have real sales figures, though.

I don't think so...because they measure it in percentages. So even if less children are born in Japan, we're still taking the percentage of that age group.

Remarkably, the ratings figures we get aren't specific to the target audience, but instead are combined ratings. It's literally the percentage of the total population that tuned in for that show. It's worth pointing out that American ratings aren't measured this way-- they're based on percentage of total TV viewers at that time, I believe. I also want to say the American formula has been adjusted to take time-shifted viewers into account.