Kamen Rider Cares More About Showing the Next Toy Than the Next Story Beat.

At least a quarter of each show is basically a toy demo. In the olden times it was simply toku stylistics, now the time wasted is just there so that they can show you how the toys work.

Altair
I've been feeling that too. The first few episodes I felt were fantastic and were running with the plot, but we now seem to have slowed to a crawl.

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
I would argue that, at least for the last few years, all KR series have followed this pattern.

I mean, usually the first 16-20 episodes don´t really do much in terms of plot, this is grace period were characters and concepts are introduced and all the main toys are showcased. It is only after the second rider has been introduced that the plot really picks up.

During OOO, things didn´t really got interesting until after Birth and Tajadoru were introduced, W´s only plot driven aspect was the introduction of Accel and the introduction of Meteor marked the real start of the Horoscopes Storyline.

My point is, beyond some character development and foreshadowing, the first 20 episodes of modern KR shows rarely portray heavy storytelling, which in turn makes the "toy commercial" aspect waaay more prominent.

As for Wizard, well, there has been very little in the way of plot since the show started, and while this does means that toys have been more prominent, this is not a Wizard problem as much as it is a sympthom of Toei´s outdated storytelling practices. Personally i have been OK with this, Wizard has been doing some interesting things (nothing extraordinary mind you), but the plot has definetily gotten progresively interesting the last few episodes, which is good, but expected.

As for Wizard, well, there has been very little in the way of plot since the show started, and while this does means that toys have been more prominent, this is not a Wizard problem as much as it is a sympthom of Toei´s outdated storytelling practices. Personally i have been OK with this, Wizard has been doing some interesting things (nothing extraordinary mind you), but the plot has definetily gotten progresively interesting the last few episodes, which is good, but expected.

I would argue against that. Especially in W and OOO's case. As for Wizard from the origin of the phantoms, Koyomi's back-story, Haruto's story, the stones being passes around, Sora,Phoenix's not redemption arc. There has been plently there.

Honestly the apparently more merchandised driven toku of recent years has never bothered me. Maybe it's just when I came into the fandom?

The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
As for Wizard from the origin of the phantoms, Koyomi's back-story, Haruto's story, the stones being passes around, Sora,Phoenix's not redemption arc. There has been plently there.

Yes, in the first 16 or so episodes we had plenty of backstory, but we had very few plot developments that actually moved the plot forward.

I mean, if a couple of months ago you had asked me where Wizard was going, i honestly would have said that i had no clue. But now, after Beast and Land Dragon´s debut i have a good idea of where this show is going.

Ah... that's a good way to put it. I'm getting tired of the toy demos and just... randomly finding a new toy that's just given.

This is why I love me some GARO... and now... more and more old school Super Sentai.

Yes, in the first 16 or so episodes we had plenty of backstory, but we had very few plot developments that actually moved the plot forward.

I mean, if a couple of months ago you had asked me where Wizard was going, i honestly would have said that i had no clue. But now, after Beast and Land Dragon´s debut i have a good idea of where this show is going.

Okay I see where you're coming from

Lurker
Actually, I am with Keith about it. I was really hyped about wizard at the start. Now I can't even be bothered to watch it every week. The feeling that each episode is not about story but about new toy is just so strong. No other KR show I watched was this blatant.
Oh and I understand, there is a story there. But it's just so overshadowed by the need to shoehorn new form in each two parter... And the story itself always feels like instead of figuring out how to defeat the phantom, save the gate and stuff, it all is just a buildup to said toy reveal.

For those who don't believe that's the case, try rewatching other shows. Like double. In those, you often forget that there are toys to promote because of how it presented. Heck, I had to reflect on the show to even realize that earlier episodes of double were supposed to be form showcases, because of how downplayed the reveal was. It was more about double mixing and matching abilities and for him it was a routine, thus it was downplayed and subtle. He just changed and did stuff.
Here it's so obviously a "Hurricane Dragon" or "Land Dragon" episodes, it hurts.
And there are barely any breaks between them.