I'm literally just outside of the starting part, into the first mission, and its just...RIDICULOUSLY hard, and really for no reason. I tried stealthy approach, I tried the bullrush approach, I tried the tactical approach, and nothing works. The character AI is just ****, the control scheme is ****, the graphics are nothing to write home about.

Why do people like this game? Mind you the stuff I'm experiencing is in the first HOUR of gameplay.

This game makes rogues a bad name, and I refuse to play a game that makes rogues a bad name. I'll try Dragon Age 2 instead.

Dude, I finished the game every time after the first try on the most difficult difficulty. With zero NPC deaths on one quest (the defense of Redcliffe) every time, and defeating a certain battle in a certain part of the story you're supposed to lose, every time.

I'm thinking you're not doing "tactical" right. Rogues are great for tactical. General principles for combat are:
1. Have your tank character engage (at the start could be a sword-and-shield warrior, or a certain pet, and depending on your playstyle, an arcane warrior) and get aggro. Make sure you always do this first. At the start you'll have to make sure everyone else stays behind until all the enemies' attention is on your tank, until your tank gets skills that draw aggro to him. This is the most important part.
2. Second, if you have anyone with any crowd control skills (stunning skills, knockdown skills, paralysis skills, sleep skills, etc.) use them on whomever isn't wailing on your tank. This the second most important part.
3. Put your other characters in a position where they're most effective. Secondary tanks like two-handers can engage stragglers or rush backrow attackers like mages and rangers.. Bow rogues/warriors stay behind and do their stuff. Damage-focused mages and healers stay behind, too. Some of them may have crowd-control skills, remember to have them use those BEFORE trying to deal any damage.
4. This was supposed to be in 3, but since you like rogues, I'll put it here separately. Rogues backstab. Literally backstab. As in you go towards the enemy's back then stab them. This is where they're most effective and most fun. Make sure you kill the enemy before they notice you, because rogues are squishy as hell until the late game (and when they notice you, you'll never be at their back for a backstab, severely stifling your rogue). Later on you'll get skills to disappear, but aggro partly depends on damage dealt, and rogues deal A LOT of damage. You may want to run back and hide behind your tank friends if your rogues gets more attention that he can handle. In the early stages, I tend to have rogues backstab once or twice then run around while the enemy chases him to get some heat off the tank.
5. Repeat all over again. I strongly suggest befriending the pause button. I usually have AI for all my characters off, because I like micromanaging them.

As you noticed, the key is crowd control. You want as much of the enemy unable to do what they're supposed to do for as much time as possible before trying to kill them. That's why you need to make sure your enemies are wailing on your damage sponge tank instead of everything else.

So how do you build your characters:
1. Tanks should focus on ways to attract the enemy to them, then ways to reduce the damage they take, then ways to crowd control (like knocking them down or stunning them).
2. Rogues are meant for one thing: To kill quickly. Make sure they can do that in one to two hits. Killing something in one hit is also crowd control. Bow rogues/warriors can also do the same thing, but a bit less efficiently, from afar. Everyone else in this list does crowd control, so the rogues generally get the share of the killing.
3. Mages generally should go for crowd control above everything else. There are good skills that do crowd control and do great damage. I'd put healing at secondary. Then go for certain spells that inconvenience certain types of enemies pretty well (Particularly noteworthy is that mana burn spell that one hit kills most mages, including bosses). Mages are the reason why I turn AI off. A lot of excellent AoE spells (cone of cold, for example) are much better with you casting them yourself.
4. Secondary tanks like two-handers should go for crowd control abilities first, then damage second.

Finally, individual battle strategies are up to you to figure out. If the enemies frontline is weak, you may find it best to smash their frontline first then going for the back. If they have glass cannons in the back that are problematic then you may want to rush them first while having your tank take punishment for a little while. This is the fun part, so I'll let you handle that. DA:O is a very tactical game that for most battles figuring out the strategy is the key to winning.

I hope this helps. DA:O is a great game, and it deserves a good look into it.

EDIT: Last note, if you can get combos for instant kills or great damage, go for it. Note that rogues auto-backstab when the enemy is paralyzed or stunned, so getting an enemy stunned then stabbing them to death with your rogue is a VERY good idea. You can also do shattering combos. Frozen or petrified enemies will shatter when hit with a critical hit. Have a mage freeze or petrify someone then either have a two-hander or bow-user do his critical strike or have the mage use the stone punch thing and the enemy will be insta-killed.

Last edited:
I am aware of how tactical games work.

I go to have my tank aggro the enemy, before my other guys can even get to him to help him attack, he dies.

Or lets say that I decide to have them all back up the main guy from behind and stay close by. Well that doesnt work because as soon as they all beat one guy they IMMEDIATELY find another guy to attack. When I try to press the hold key to make them stop, then they just fucking stand in place and get waylayed on by demons until I try to change over to them to control them and by that point they are dead. And yes, thats even with the pause feature. Which should not even have to be implemented if you're doing a proper Action/RPG.

The game tries to be both an action game and an RTS. And it completely FAILS at both genres.

And as for rogues? How in the HELL can you backstab someone from behind when you cant attack while moving, and you have to reselect your enemy when you move, except he moves and you miss him and end up targeting an empty space to move in. All while the fucking demon mage is blasting you with fireballs to oneshot your fucking main character.

I have had my full party wiped every single time I get into the woods, just because of the PISS POOR excuse for AI, dumb as bricks tactic system, and enemies with WAY too much health for a starting area.

And FYI, Dragon Age 2 is only SLIGHTLY better because they have the attack nearest enemy button, but what kind of Action RPG game doesnt have fucking CONTROLLER SUPPORT in this day and age? Absolute bullshit.

HJU's master of disguise
DA:O was a great game. DA:O2 was the **** game. I couldnt play it for long.

If I disagreed any harder I'd explode. The first was fantastic. The 2nd was such a change to the point where I didn't want to play it at all.

I am aware of how tactical games work.

I go to have my tank aggro the enemy, before my other guys can even get to him to help him attack, he dies.

Or lets say that I decide to have them all back up the main guy from behind and stay close by. Well that doesnt work because as soon as they all beat one guy they IMMEDIATELY find another guy to attack. When I try to press the hold key to make them stop, then they just fucking stand in place and get waylayed on by demons until I try to change over to them to control them and by that point they are dead. And yes, thats even with the pause feature. Which should not even have to be implemented if you're doing a proper Action/RPG.

The game tries to be both an action game and an RTS. And it completely FAILS at both genres.

And as for rogues? How in the HELL can you backstab someone from behind when you cant attack while moving, and you have to reselect your enemy when you move, except he moves and you miss him and end up targeting an empty space to move in. All while the fucking demon mage is blasting you with fireballs to oneshot your fucking main character.

I have had my full party wiped every single time I get into the woods, just because of the PISS POOR excuse for AI, dumb as bricks tactic system, and enemies with WAY too much health for a starting area.

And FYI, Dragon Age 2 is only SLIGHTLY better because they have the attack nearest enemy button, but what kind of Action RPG game doesnt have fucking CONTROLLER SUPPORT in this day and age? Absolute bullshit.

Like I said, I was able to do it just fine on hardest difficulty, and I'm not a hardcore gamer. So clearly it's not as impossible as you claim it to be.

Let's go your points 1 by 1:
1. If your tank cannot take the heat, then get it off him for awhile. Knock an enemy down and stun a different one, while backstabbing the third one with your rogue, then freeze a fourth one. That's four guys off your tank, making your tank more survivable. You said you're using the pause button. Clearly you're not. That is so easy with pause spamming. All you have to do is watch when enemies become disabled, remember who you just ordered to disable that person, then immediately order them to do something else. Once the enemies recover, you've slowly gained a numerical advantage so do the entire thing all over again. As the game goes on and your tank gets tougher, you'll find yourself essentially putting it on taunt auto-pilot. Heck in the endgame I can solo the game with a arcane warrior-blood mage. Or an agility rogue.
2. What the developers were clearly trying to do here was implement a version of the Baldur's Gate/NWN style combat, except with less focus on the rounds, and more on the real time. Not an action game or an RTS. A Western RPG (as opposed to a JRPG). They did it really well.
3. On rogues: What the hell is difficult with ordering a rogue to go to someone's back, watch when he gets there, pause, then order him to attack the guy whose back is on his face? Sounds pretty simple and straightforward to me.
4. You explained your difficulties well, but you're not really telling me how you're doing crowd control. Seems like you're just letting the computer do it all for you.
5. In order to maximize the game, do not trust the AI. At least not at the start. The AI gimps mages and rogues. Like I said, I turn the AI off for the highest difficulty. It just gives you a false sense of security. I only use the AI to keep my ranged characters at ranged and melee characters at melee.
6. Apparently, you're playing a console version. My experience is that consoles suck for games of this kind, and in DA:O, the PC version is vastly superior. So that may be half your problem. EDIT: IIRC, the console versions had gimped difficulty in order to make up for the inferior controls. Console difficulties are equivalent to the one step lower difficulty than the same difficulty in the PC version.

Last edited:
Banned
I'm literally just outside of the starting part, into the first mission, and its just...RIDICULOUSLY hard, and really for no reason. I tried stealthy approach, I tried the bullrush approach, I tried the tactical approach, and nothing works. The character AI is just ****, the control scheme is ****, the graphics are nothing to write home about.

Why do people like this game? Mind you the stuff I'm experiencing is in the first HOUR of gameplay.

This game makes rogues a bad name, and I refuse to play a game that makes rogues a bad name. I'll try Dragon Age 2 instead.

DAO is one of the easiest games ever made even on the highest difficulty setting.

Thing is the game doesn't suck just because YOU can't play it. Not liking the game play is one thing, but saying this or any game sucks just because you are unable to do anything is different.

The first hour of game play on any origin is simply learning how to play. I mean have you never played an rpg or a strat rpg before?

Banned
but what kind of Action RPG game doesnt have fucking .CONTROLLER SUPPORT in this day and age? Absolute bullshit.

If you are using or wanting to use a controller for the PC version of DAO then you are doing it 100% in every single way Wrong. If you want to use a controller get the Xbox 360 or PS3 version.

Banned
If I disagreed any harder I'd explode. The first was fantastic. The 2nd was such a change to the point where I didn't want to play it at all.

Agreed. DA2 was also a rushed POS. Same areas over and over. No real direction in story. Characters that were just awful. Etc etc.

If you are using or wanting to use a controller for the PC version of DAO then you are doing it 100% in every single way Wrong. If you want to use a controller get the Xbox 360 or PS3 version.

True. IIRC the console versions have a command ring type interface which the PC version does not have.

PC is best played with a mouse and keyboard.

And I agree that its a very easy game. I never thought I would ever read a complaint about someone having difficulty with DAO ever :).
EDIT: On the first woods you pretty much can get by with focus fire on normal difficulty.

Last edited: