*explosion*
I'm sorry but you clearly don't know much about new formats and such. I suggest you use google or something else and really learn about what mkv and other formats are before you call them backwards or obscure. You do not have to download extra software. MKV is easy to playback.

The SD Mp4 of OT's is of better video quality than the HD of T-N. And honestly.. People that watch anything streamed like that don't care about what group did what.

Mkv is not a format readily compatible with most video players, including the default ones that come with most PC's and media players. You do have to download extra drivers and software, even O-T says so in their website:

HALP HOW DO I PLAY UR SUBS
If you downloaded one of our torrents:

Windows: Get CCCP
Linux: Get mplayer2
Mac: Get MPlayerX

If for whatever reason you'd prefer to watch your subs with a raw you previously downloaded, download the script you want, and check this playback guide for further reference.

There....there are streaming sites hosting these videos? Certainly not Youtube where half the subs are in some arabic language....

I had a hell of a time even finding KR when I first went searching for it a few years ago. 'Twas the main reason I never got into it before. There were very few torrents on 3rd party sites. As soon as I was linked to TVN's site at last I grabbed every torrent in sight.

Of course nowadays when I search the same sites I did before I come up with TVN and Overtime filling the whole list. The scope and popularity and availability of things on the internet change with time. And I don't think that the majority of people that watch fansubbed works do it via streaming sites. I certainly always go to torrents first and foremost, but I've been watching anime in a variety of formats for the better part of a decade so...maybe I'm not the majority.

If you Google the shows to watch them, the first things you are going to see are links to the episodes in streaming sites, such as Youtube, Facebook, DailyMotion, Veoh, etc. A Youtube upload of TV-N's 199 Hero Battle received over a million views before it was finally taken down; I doubt much direct torrents get that big a number in downloads.

Torrenting is an advanced technique that requires more know-how and effort than simply going to a website and pressing Play.

I'm sorry but you clearly don't know much about new formats and such. I suggest you use google or something else and really learn about what mkv and other formats are before you call them backwards or obscure. You do not have to download extra software. MKV is easy to playback.
Goes to archive folder of GUIS Kakuranger episodes.
Right clicks
Hovers over "Open With"
Clicks "Windows Media Player"
Watches Media Player open...and crash.

I don't know what setup you have, but er...no, sorry that's just wrong, at least as far as using the standard media player that comes with Windows is concerned. Or I could follow OverTime's instructions...which have me download Media Player Classic and add a codec. Or I could just use VLC, which I don't have to add codecs to, but is still downloading different software.

Personally I prefer the UI for standard Media Player, so when groups like GUIS give me the choice I download the MP4. 99% of the time I have no desire to do anything to a sub other than watch it, and even the remaining 1% is just "oh they made a silly spelling mistake, but I know what they mean anyway" so I have no particular need for the mkv version. That maaay change with Kyoryuger, because honestly that "voltosaur" thing is starting to get under my skin a little. But then again, getting hold of and learning the subbing software is a lot of work just for one word :sweat:

Image quality is another thing that has stopped me from replacing the TVN subs of older shows thus far. When I heard there was a new Goseiger sub coming out I went to check it out right there and then, but the millionfold version isn't as high a quality as TVN's HD version, so thus far I've held off on updating my archive. Similarly, I watched Gekiranger over the holidays and was alternating between the Geki-Senshi and TV-N versions because the former had the better translation, but the latter had a much clearer image (I'd compare it to the difference between HD and SD, and Geki is from before Sentai switched to high-def recording). I also have both TV-N and OT's versions of Super Hero Wars saved, because yes, the 720 version from OT suits me fine just now, but in five years I might have a bigger TV I want to watch toku on, and the 1080 version would be noticably different.

Last edited:
Image quality is another thing that has stopped me from replacing the TVN subs of older shows thus far. When I heard there was a new Goseiger sub coming out I went to check it out right there and then, but the millionfold version isn't as high a quality as TVN's HD version, so thus far I've held off on updating my archive.

Waitwaitwait. You're saying that lazily blown-up versions of their SD releases, which are TV rips to boot, are somehow higher quality than actual R2 DVD encodes?

I... I'm not harshing on you dude but that leaves me legitimately baffled to hear someone say.

Lurker

Image quality is another thing that has stopped me from replacing the TVN subs of older shows thus far. When I heard there was a new Goseiger sub coming out I went to check it out right there and then, but the millionfold version isn't as high a quality as TVN's HD version, so thus far I've held off on updating my archive. Similarly, I watched Gekiranger over the holidays and was alternating between the Geki-Senshi and TV-N versions because the former had the better translation, but the latter had a much clearer image (I'd compare it to the difference between HD and SD, and Geki is from before Sentai switched to high-def recording). I also have both TV-N and OT's versions of Super Hero Wars saved, because yes, the 720 version from OT suits me fine just now, but in five years I might have a bigger TV I want to watch toku on, and the 1080 version would be noticably different.

Are you blind? You prefer a awful re-encode of a 720p tv-rip just because it's "HD"? The MFC release is encoded at a smaller resolution because it's from a dvd source. A poor 720p tv-rip that's been awfully re-encoded won't magically look better than a proper DVD-rip just because it's a higher resolution.

I have no idea why you think tvn's geki looks better either. The tvn sub is a re-encode of what might even be the video H-S used. H-S' release of Geki has quite a few problems but it's not video quality (well, it's as good as you can get without buying the dvds).

O-T didn't do a 1080p of Super Hero Wars because it would just be a waste of space. They never do a 1080p encode when it basically looks the same as 720p when upscaled.

As for your problems with WMP, afaik those should all be fixed if you install CCCP. The codecs it installs can be used by WMP as well (I haven't used WMP in quite a while though so correct me if i'm wrong).

Banned
Mkv is not a format readily compatible with most video players, including the default ones that come with most PC's and media players. You do have to download extra drivers and software, even O-T says so in their website:

If you Google the shows to watch them, the first things you are going to see are links to the episodes in streaming sites, such as Youtube, Facebook, DailyMotion, Veoh, etc. A Youtube upload of TV-N's 199 Hero Battle received over a million views before it was finally taken down; I doubt much direct torrents get that big a number in downloads.

Torrenting is an advanced technique that requires more know-how and effort than simply going to a website and pressing Play.

Yes it is. It works with every video player I know of for windows. Hell VLC will play back all MKV with out the need for CCCP. If you think torrenting is an advanced Technique... Then I am very sorry for you.

Banned
Goes to archive folder of GUIS Kakuranger episodes.
Right clicks
Hovers over "Open With"
Clicks "Windows Media Player"
Watches Media Player open...and crash.

I don't know what setup you have, but er...no, sorry that's just wrong, at least as far as using the standard media player that comes with Windows is concerned. Or I could follow OverTime's instructions...which have me download Media Player Classic and add a codec. Or I could just use VLC, which I don't have to add codecs to, but is still downloading different software.

The first thing isn't the format nor the video player. It is probably because you installed some lame video pack like nimo or some such nonsense.

If you think the HD T-N video are of better video quality.. I would suggest you have your vision checked.

Lurker

TVN's playback guide is basically the same thing (the main difference being their mac/linux recommendations). In fact, several of tvn's movie releases are completely broken in WMP due to the way they added the dual audio.

Also, drivers != codecs.

*explosion*
Yes it is. It works with every video player I know of for windows. Hell VLC will play back all MKV with out the need for CCCP. If you think torrenting is an advanced Technique... Then I am very sorry for you.

Compared to every other way available to watch a show, yes torrenting is a very advanced technique. Maybe you have been doing this for years, in which case great for you, but you can't magically expect every one else to even consider it.

There is no reason for O-T to not make things easier to watch.

Aronbafon
On a site that displays how you make things work, with links to the things needed right next to. They can't make easier without making everything size 100 so it fills the main page.

Banned
Compared to every other way available to watch a show, yes torrenting is a very advanced technique. Maybe you have been doing this for years, in which case great for you, but you can't magically expect every one else to even consider it.

There is no reason for O-T to not make things easier to watch.

1. Download torrent program and install
2. Download Torrent
3. Use torrent in torrent program to get file
win

Yes... This is very advanced. I can see how this would make things so very hard to get stuff.

They sub, encode, and release. Damn you OT for making it super hard to get things this easy.