Guess that depends. What are you supporting, the show or the group subtitling it?
Either way, I liked a lot of the other stuff you said!

Well that's just the thing. Glamador isn't supporting anything. He's just watching a piece of media. What he gets out of it, he gets.

No. It's a word they use in Japanese in Kamen Rider. If they had used TRANSFORM, CHANGE, or any other word you would be saying the same about that. Henshin is also not a phrase, It is a word as I said. Just because you have sentimental attachment to this word, does not make it something that shouldn't be translated.

Thats your opinion. To me, its something that doesn't need to be translated in subs. They don't need to translate everything. While TV-N may go too far when it comes to not translating things at times, completely subbing every little word isn't a better idea, atleast in my opinion. Sentai doesn't need to be translated as squadron, or anything else, and henshin doesn't need to be transform/change. It all comes down to personal preference. I just like henshin better. Also, I don't recall saying henshin was a phrase :shrug:

Thats your opinion. To me, its something that doesn't need to be translated in subs. They don't need to translate everything. While TV-N may go too far when it comes to not translating things at times, completely subbing every little word isn't a better idea, atleast in my opinion. Sentai doesn't need to be translated as squadron, or anything else, and henshin doesn't need to be transform/change. It all comes down to personal preference. I just like henshin better. Also, I don't recall saying henshin was a phrase :shrug:

This is basically the argument for not translating "Ore Sanjou!" Not the one I've used, but the one people seem to think is the reasoning of TVN.

I think they left Ore Sanjou untranslated not *just* because it "sounds/looks coolor" but because it is a catchphrase. Catchphrases, titles, and proper names are hardly ever translated because you are meant to associate them with a specific thing, person, or situation.

A few posts ago it was mentioned that Kami's name is not translated in foreign versions of DBZ despite "kami" literally meaning "god". Now, the underlying meaning of this is naturally lost if you don't know what kami means but at the same time referring to a character by the literal meaning of his name defeats the purpose of a name.

It is somewhat similar for catchphrases, though not as clear-cut. A catchphrase is meant to be associated as-is with the situation that accompanies it. If an available translation also fits with the cadence and style of it, then maybe you lose nothing by changing it.

For an example, Sailor Moon's little speech she says is translated/subtitled. But Rurouni Kenshin's amakakeru ryu no hirameki isn't, despite having a literal meaning (piercing wind of the dragon fang or something). It's a matter of weighing which is more important to convey to the audience. Is it the character's essential style and the iconic nature of the phrase? Or is it the meaning of what's being said?

I don't personally believe that almost any of the untranslated words in Den-O deserve to be left as-is. Ore Sanjou has a meaning, the understanding of which is NOT outweighed by its iconic nature. And this is evidenced by situations like "Ore Sanjou by bike!" which was referenced a few pages ago.

But henshin's meaning is basically superfluous. It's what a superhero says when he changes. You lose nothing by not knowing what it means because its only purpose is to be said when transforming. The subs of Kuuga that I watched had a scene where Godai says something like "What if when I change colors I say something cool...like, 'Chou Henshin!', yeah?" And that's all I needed to know. Godai wanted to sound cool. The syllables and the flow of the words are part of that and therefore outweigh the need to know its meaning.

But "Kamen" is another in the Den-O boat. It is silly not to translate it. It's not there to sound cool. "Rider" is there to sound cool. It's a word that the Japanese specifically chose to use instead of their own because it sounded cooler. Hell...we should translate 'Rider' into Japanese and add that to 'Masked' instead if we want to preserve the effect!

But now I'm thinking about that...it's a very Japanese thing to do, to have foreign words that are potentially unknown to the audience but sound cool...maybe all the translators should do that. Every time there's an English word used for effect in a Japanese program translate that into Japanese for the subtitles!

Banned

I would hate to see henshin translated, especially in Kamen rider. Its a phrase thats very connected to KR.

I guess I Just would rather enjoy the show and not need to know Japanese for a SUB.

I know very few japanese words, and except for sayonara, I learned them all from watching subs (Oniichan, henshin, etc). It really doesn't matter if you know that henshin means transform or not. Like Glamador said, its just something a Rider says when they transform. I would argue that its pretty easy to figure out what henshin means just by the context in which its used, and that no translation is required. Henshin is used so much in Kamen Rider (I'd bet than any Rider that says henshin probably says it in every episode of their series for the most part) that translating it is really unnessesary. Its used a lot, but unlike some other words that TVN doesn't translate its meaning isn't one that changes, or can mean different things, atleast in the context its used in Kamen Rider. If they say henshin, they are transforming into a KR. Its not a complex concept, and to me it just sounds cooler, and looks better in subs, when its left untranslated. Its not a word I think anyone would really be confused by, to the point that they need it translated.

Banned
I know very few japanese words, and except for sayonara, I learned them all from watching subs (Oniichan, henshin, etc). It really doesn't matter if you know that henshin means transform or not. Like Glamador said, its just something a Rider says when they transform. I would argue that its pretty easy to figure out what henshin means just by the context in which its used, and that no translation is required. Henshin is used so much in Kamen Rider (I'd bet than any Rider that says henshin probably says it in every episode of their series for the most part) that translating it is really unnessesary. Its used a lot, but unlike some other words that TVN doesn't translate its meaning isn't one that changes, or can mean different things, atleast in the context its used in Kamen Rider. If they say henshin, they are transforming into a KR. Its not a complex concept, and to me it just sounds cooler, and looks better in subs, when its left untranslated. Its not a word I think anyone would really be confused by, to the point that they need it translated.

I will just say that that is not what a translation is and leave it at that.

Chief HJU News Editor
I think people seem to have a hard time accepting that the cool new Japanese show about a cool guy that they love has this cool transformation belt that shouts out "Splashidy splashidy splash".

...but Japanese version just sounds waaaay cooler.

100% Tank Engine
Honestly, I have no problem with TV-Nihon subs. If you're not familiar with the Japanese language, it can be confusing (although if you watch enough Japanese shows, including some of TVN's subs, you'll find translation notes in them, which are helpful), but I've watched a bunch of shows with their subs and they're generally fine. There are some mistakes here and there, and a few of the shows don't have the best quality raws attached to them, but no one is perfect. I think people just enjoy hating for the sake of hating. That, and some people get SO attached to what they know that they can't accept any changes. I should know: I'm one of those people. Thankfully, I'm not quite that bad any more.

Actually, I have a problem with Over-Time OVER-translating, sometimes. I know, it's a translation: it should all be translated. But when we start translating "Sentai" to "Task Force", I draw the line. Also, translating the first part of a Sentai's name..... It's a name. I don't care if you can translate it. Just don't. Voltosaur is not a real word. Argh.

Banned
Honestly, I have no problem with TV-Nihon subs. If you're not familiar with the Japanese language, it can be confusing (although if you watch enough Japanese shows, including some of TVN's subs, you'll find translation notes in them, which are helpful), but I've watched a bunch of shows with their subs and they're generally fine. There are some mistakes here and there, and a few of the shows don't have the best quality raws attached to them, but no one is perfect. I think people just enjoy hating for the sake of hating. That, and some people get SO attached to what they know that they can't accept any changes. I should know: I'm one of those people. Thankfully, I'm not quite that bad any more.

Actually, I have a problem with Over-Time OVER-translating, sometimes. I know, it's a translation: it should all be translated. But when we start translating "Sentai" to "Task Force", I draw the line. Also, translating the first part of a Sentai's name..... It's a name. I don't care if you can translate it. Just don't. Voltosaur is not a real word. Argh.

Ok in your first statements you say how good T-N is with how they translate when many people here have given valid proof otherwise. I mean I have a very personal bias so don't count what I say, but the screen shots and other wise are proof against what you have said. The translation notes you say they use are not needed. I mean when you leave the japanese worse for lawyer untranslated and then put a note on top that says "that word means lawyer" that is just asinine.

So what you are really saying is that you prefer the weaboo style of subs. You don't want words translated, and you get upset when words that can be translated ARE translated. Task Force is a very valid translation for sentai. Again you prefer the weaboo style. That's cool.

What I hate is that they keep crap that is unnecessary. That thing that last 50 seconds after the opening is kept. It's that bit where they would show the mecha and have this Japanes woman talking. Hell, I've seen commercials that are kept.