Ultra monsters vs sentai monsters (and other toku monsters)

Have to troll this:
sdil1v.jpg

No Fear, No Pain.
I'm a rider Kaijin fan myself. Fewer shows have given quite the level of development and humanity to it's kaijin as Kamen Rider has.

On that note the Ultra series Kaiju are also very nice as they often have various back grounds and are the epidemy (spelt that right?) of Sci-Fi based foes. Got to give something to a show that can have a ten thousand year old dinosaur monster one week, and a newly created super robot foe the next while still having canon and long story arcs.

Last edited:
The Extraordinary Fan(boy)
I have always found interesting how even though Kamen Rider and Super Sentai both used humanoid monster that display intellect, they both play in the oposite extremes of each other.

In KR the kaijins are true villains, they are smart evil bastards that want to kill/hurt/destroy other people, and some of them even have development of their own. Super sentai on the other hand has Kaijins whose portrayal is entirely campy, they might be intelligent but they don´t harm other because it brings them satisfaction, they do it because they are evil and that is their mission. I know that there are exceptions to these rules but this is how it has been in most of the series i have seen.

Older toku really had some interesting concepts for monsters, like in Robot Detective where every BAD robot has an unique ability that was always portrayed as an important part of the mystery behind the crimes. There were also the Destructoids from Kikaider, their designs were anything but subtle but i always find it interesting how whenever Kikaider trades punches with them you can hear a metallic clank, highlighting the fact that they are Androids.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
The thing about monsters is that fans, at least English-speaking ones, overwhelmingly prefer villains to heroes. You can make a show where the hero/es are unlikeable or treated as an optional afterthought, but introduce a strong villain cast and people will love it - that's why shows like Gekiranger are so popular. If the monsters have a half-decent design and get to beat the heroes several times, viewers will lap it up.

I can't express a preference for one franchise's monsters over the other. Ultramn might just have the leading edge for me but like most things it depends