Tsurugi's main issue was that Yonemura and Inoue seemed to be almost writing against each other as far as that character goes. Inoue introduces him as a serious rival to Tendo, but as soon as Yonemura touches him he reduces his rivalry with Tendo to comic relief scenes in the background of an episode focusing on Kagami, and after a few episodes the rivalry isn't even mentioned.

Inoue returns, and he apparently was supposed to write about Kagami learning Tsurugi's secret and befriending him... he fits in scenes about that at the end of two episodes while most of the plot focuses on Kabuto in that infamous food competition.

Yonemura returns, and develops Kagami's and Tsurugi's friendship even more, with the whole Tendo rivalry thing basically completely thrown away and Tsurugi becoming a complete comic relief... but then Inoue gets to write Tsurugi's final episodes and suddenly we have Tsurugi wanting suicide via Tendo with Kagami doing nothing relevant in the story.

It really seemed like, as far as Tsurugi goes, Inoue and Yonemura completely disliked each others' ideas for the character.

Last edited:
Kamen Rider Dark Kabuto
Wow, I didn't know that. That's just...a huge pity really. His henshin pose and the way he says it made him one of my favorite Riders. The show needed a rival for Tendou IMO and Tsurugi did that perfectly. Not only that, but he has a SCORPION MOTIF! In a franchise inspired by bugs and insects, how the hell can you go wrong with a Scorpion Rider? Oh wait, just ask that moron Yonemura.

I feel even worse for Tsurugi now. Yonemura is an idiot.

Yonemura was the chief writer for Kabuto. Inoue was the one who defecated all over Kabuto with Daisuke and his inability to grasp the idea that Tendou was a parody of Inoue tropes.

Kamen Rider Dark Kabuto
I know Yonemura was the main writer but it baffles me as to why he made the decision to go that direction with Tsurugi.

I think the main issue there is that Yonemura wanted Tsurugi as a supporting character for Kagami, not Tendo, while Inoue wanted Tendo to be the focus of basically everyone.

Welcome
I don't know how we got to the subject of Kabuto, but I too wish that Tsurugi had more focus.One of the best Riders of all time.He had one of the best non main Rider suit and a nice back story.I didn't watch the first 21 eps of Kabuto though, so I don't really know how he was like pre-Gatack.

I think the main issue there is that Yonemura wanted Tsurugi as a supporting character for Kagami, not Tendo, while Inoue wanted Tendo to be the focus of basically everyone.

Inoue just didn't seem to understand what Kagami and Tendou's respective roles were in the story. It's like Yonemura didn't bother to explain it to him or Toshiki Inoue didn't care to listen.

I wonder if we'll get to see more Phantom generals. Maybe a cerberus one who'd sound like Kazuya from Tekken.

As for the Wiseman. Could he be a mage too and was a former apprentice to the White Wizard. Or is there more for us to know throughout the wait of the show.

Nice post!!
It's like Yonemura didn't bother to explain it to him or Toshiki Inoue didn't care to listen.

This situation has always sounded really strange. Inoue and Yonemura have worked on lots of stuff together, going back to Yonemura's beginnings on Rider (the infamous second half of Hibiki). You'd think they'd get along well? At the very least, I can't imagine they hold a grudge against each other.

I wonder if it's more that Inoue felt he had earned the right to turn in whatever he wanted by that point in his tenure on Rider, and Yonemura was willing to put up with it since Inoue is his senior as a writer. Kobayashi seems to have a similar attitude when she works with Inoue, where it feels like Inoue does whatever and Kobayashi is content to write around it.

All your FACES are belongs to ME!!!
Yay! Overtime has the latest episode up... Trying to catch up... ;)