Selling Custom Figures -- What are you thoughts?

I really want to buy some custom SIC bikes for my Kamen Rider collection but I've been doing a lot of readings and it's illegal to sell custom figures of any sort while it's ok to customize your own figure in your own house. So what's wrong with it? I can see where it becomes a problem if I make 1000 action figures and attract customers away from Bandai but is there a threat in selling 1? Let me know what your opinion is.

Also, give this article a read too. Such talented artisans jailed :disappoin

http://kotaku.com/5738494/do-not-sell-modified-figures-in-japan-they-will-lock-you-up

HJU's master of disguise
if I remember right, they guy was doing a **** ton of them. If you are just selling 1 here and there, you are fine.

People sell custom figures all the time

It's the Japanese interpretation of copyright. If you sell a custom figure, you're selling a figure of the franchise they have the copyright to, without getting a license. As far as their concerned, the fact that it's based on an official product doesn't change the copyright situation.

It's the Japanese interpretation of copyright. If you sell a custom figure, you're selling a figure of the franchise they have the copyright to, without getting a license. As far as their concerned, the fact that it's based on an official product doesn't change the copyright situation.

It just makes no sense, that's all. :( It saddens me a bit because there's so many talented artisans who I'd like to buy customized figures from. I wonder if there's any talented artisans in this forum! :169:

Back in Black
Just because something does not make sense to you, that doesn't mean that it doesn't make sense to others. It is a law after all.

Back in Black
Your response to Toku Prime who basically said the same thing got me confused.

Anyway, these people were making many figures at a time. One or two custom figures in private generally is overlooked.

I totally agree. Exactly why I'm asking for everyone's opinion haha

The Japanese form of copyright sort of undermines the premise of copyright, especially if the customs are not designed by the copyright holders.

How does a company own a design they did not make?

Not saying it is right or wrong, but the idea that custom-selling should be illegal ignores a facet where on places like DeviantArt, I could technically buy fan-art from there.

Why don't these companies reach an agreement with these infringers and get compensation for already sold custom figures alongside making money off them themselves?

No wonder why Japan is choking creatively when they sue rather than co-opt these people into the fold. America has a similar issue, but as I have seen in some cases, the fans actually go on to work on the projects.

No Fear, No Pain.
Some custom S.I.C. are freakin amazing, but it comes down to copyrights on certain parts if I am not mistaken. Reselling a figure is one thing. Useing raw materials to make something brand new is fine too, such as fan arts. But once you take pieces from a figure, yours or not, and use them to make something new, and then sell the figure for cash, the company get all upity because you are basically selling their figure design as your own useing parts designs they have copyrights for.

Basically you can sell you Edward Elric Revoltech as it is, make a painting or photo of it to sell, but the second you take the Revoltech joints and use them for a new figure that you intend to sell, then you're on their **** list.

Even if you produce your own S.I.C. components from scratch to make a figure, they still own the rights to that component design. It would be like Bandai releaseing figures that use exact replicas of the Figma joints (which they almost did with their Pretty Cure figures...but that is another rant for another day).

"Then what about all these custom Transformers I see around here?" If I am not mistaken Hasbro gave those guys permission to use their equipment for the creation of those toys. Therefore they are unoffical hasbro products, even if they don't get any money for it. Hasbro said "we don't give a ****!" so it is legal for them to produce and sell amazing customs.

If Bandai wasn't as protective as they are of their figure designs (which also comes form the fact that the figure sculpters are actual artists) then they would be less willing to go after these guys. The Japanese figure indusrty is about as competitive as their auto industry in my eyes.

Last edited: