Are western audiences so different from japan audiences regarding super sentais?

Plus, in American comics, almost nobody stays dead. Heaven and Hell in Marvel comics have revolving doors.

SLICE
In mainstream American comics anyways. And that's more a recent issue brought on since the 90s, to be fair.

You want to try to argue otherwise, I'll just point you towards Spider-Man.

Here's the big difference.

What's acceptable for little kids in Japan is different than what's acceptable for little kids in America. However that does not mean that Japan is inherently more mature, even when it has death and blood and ****. That stuff does not make for a general audience show, which Super Sentai is NOT.

Super Sentai is strictly little kids fair, especially nowadays. Just like Power Rangers.

The difference is in how the humor goes. Sentai goes for the more Anime-esque humor, such as Don making silly poses or there being cartoonish music while he does something silly, even in an otherwise straight/normal episode..

Power Rangers tends to have comedy relief characters, but they tend to stick to jokes and the like, and don't typically bring it to the battle field. (Ziggy being a notable exception, and it was more to demonstrate how unskilled he really was) There's no tonal clash typically.

As such, Power Rangers can have the odd moment that it's actually more serious than it's Sentai counter part, even if it's not as 'mature'.

This is how I view ZyuRanger VS MMPR.

ZyuRanger had it's mature moments, to be sure- deals with Satan, Green Ranger dying, all that...

But it also had just flat out comedy episodes or comedy moments. It had a lot of humor and a lot of tonal shifts, though not nearly as many as something like Gokaiger, and it had a comparably lighter over all tone, what with all of the endless children guest stars.

Power Rangers on the flip side had it's drama, though it wasn't as extreme, and it struck a balance between serious and comedy, leaving most of the latter strictly to Bulk and Skull. It never went to the extremes that ZyuRanger did, and it can come off as the more balanced of the two for that.

In the end, it's not that American auidences don't get Super Sentai, or can't. It's just not made for us. I can assure you that kids would like Sentai as much as Power Rangers, though there will always be debate over which is 'better', a useless term in this case.

I've always believed that Super Sentai could potentially work on American and Western television stations.
But as of now, I'm not going to expect it to happen. The ones who buy the rights to tokusatsu in America and other countries usually has NO intention of sharing that with us. They only want to promote their adaptions, like Power Rangers.

It could, but if the FCC were revoked of their oppressive power, we would be able to get alot of the shows here without much of many cuts to it.

When we look at the standards for TV in the Reagan era versus today, the regulations imposed by Liberal regimes like Carter, Clinton through Obama have only supported the degradation and censorship of media rather than allow the parents to make the call and switch the channel.

You can block channels today with passcodes and if you are any competent parent, you can also be a real parent and actually not play dumb as sin once in awhile. Parents have no excuse whatsoever in terms of raising their children. Even if you are a great parent and apply discipline regarding media, you have the issue of school.

The external forces at school, whether it may be cuss words , shows and whatnot from peers inevitably can offset much of the parents' censorship whereas if a kid knew its way around [like I and most likely others have] you can turn off the censoring forces at home and turn them back on.

Online , you just delete your history ,cache and cookies and then set it back up. I've done it many times.

Offline, like on TV, you just turn it off and then back on. Also, your friends could give you copies of said contraband through offline media such as flash drives and discs.

----

The issue we have in America today , like in many other parts of the world is that parents don't know how to say no and basically give x child the seed to overthrowing and undermining the controls if not making the child feel that their parents view them as dumb and not worth to be trusted.

If parents were so concerned about Television and the internet, why don't they give it up themselves and walk the walk and join some Amish commune?

Censorship is only a temporary measure that always blows back into the faces of its perpetrators, whether for the right reasons or not.

Great parenting is if they communicate with their children and include them ,don't talk down and dumb with them and for once discern fantasy from reality so we don't have Naruto posers dieing from the sand.

If their children can't discern the two , its time for them to be banned from the privilege, not a right, to watch television.

Back in Black
Plus, in American comics, almost nobody stays dead. Heaven and Hell in Marvel comics have revolving doors.

Well, it's just the writers tearing at each other over characters and stories. One makes a story and the other one thinks "you went too far and now I don't have characters" and that writer makes this Heaven and Hell thing happen. This usually just happens with the mainstream ones and that's why most people see that happening.

Fangtaku

*glances at the poster of "The Beloved Dead" from ElfQuest... which has had many additions since the poster was made*

Please don't make generalizations like that, that are far from the truth. Some super-hero comics, sure, but the American comic industry is much larger than just those books.

*glances at the poster of "The Beloved Dead" from ElfQuest... which has had many additions since the poster was made*

Please don't make generalizations like that, that are far from the truth. Some super-hero comics, sure, but the American comic industry is much larger than just those books.

I did love Peter Parker's death in the Ultimate version where the "controversial" change-up occurred with the blacktino Spiderman. The newer story and situation is fresher than the older one, and I hope Parker isn't brought back in any way in that line.

No Fear, No Pain.

Like Hellboy. No one ever remembers Hellboy. Hmmm that may have been a bad example now that I think about it...dead guys all over the place.

Even Sentai Isn't As Dark, ..... Anymore

**Shakes head**

What happened to just having fun adventures? :eyebrow:

So, wait, are some Toku, like Kamen Rider in which people get viciously murdered, aimed for adults? Or is it all kids programming? If so, Japanese kid's programming is pretty metal.

Super Moderator
So, wait, are some Toku, like Kamen Rider in which people get viciously murdered, aimed for adults? Or is it all kids programming? If so, Japanese kid's programming is pretty metal.

Kamen Rider, Ultraman, and Super Sentai are for kids but not in the Sesame Street sense of being for kids. It's kids and for a broader general audience that includes adults, people who grew up knowing about the show, and of course die-hard fans of various ages. Some of the big franchises will have entries that lean more adult than others. Like Ultraman Nexus or the Kamen Rider movies of the mid 90's or First and Next.

There are toku that are aimed exclusively at older audiences like Garo for instance.

Death by itself is not on off-limits concept for kids programming in Japan but usually for a kids show it's not handled in a gratuitous way.