First off, I'd like to thank Keith for allowing me to discuss our game here.

Hey everyone, my name is Ethan and I work for an indie games developer, Mechanist Games. We're working on our debut title, City of Steam, a free-to-play browser-based MMORPG.

If you've known of City of Steam and been keeping track of it since the game went public, be sure to sign up for our newsletter and dev journals for up-to-date game development.

To those that don't know what City of Steam is (no surprise, we're an indie developer, so getting widespread recognition is relatively harder for us). It's a browser-based MMORPG featuring a mix of industrial fantasy and steampunk elements, lightweight enough to play smoothly on even non-gaming computers and accessible straight from your browser. Even then, thanks to Unity 3D and a lot of in-house tools, we've managed to still make it look quite impressive,and all stored in but a few megabytes.

City of Steam evokes an industrial age fantasy set in a mechanical world during an industrial revolution where the boundaries between science and magic have begun to blur, where humanoid steamtoilers patrol the streets and levianthan airships float just above the rooftops. City of Steam is set on the World Machine, a vast and ancient system of interlocking gears powered by unfathomable energies. Current civilizations are built upon these, and the industrial aspects have always been part of the world's history and daily life; races such as humans and elves do exist, but they live alongside dwarves that are part-machine, robotic toilers that roam the land, and both magical and mechanical monstrosities that threaten their existence. Check out the World Machine page to take a better look at this animated world.

H9Hjxi4.jpg

For a better picture of the game, check our latest Closed Beta Trailer, a lot has changed and improved since then, but it can still give a good idea for what we plan to make of our game:

http://youtu.be/ynmn3DjIDqA

Edit:

Hello all, we've opened gates of Nexus again, Beta is now launched and ready to play. Visit the link below if you don't have an account yet and start your journey in just minutes!
http://cos.r2games.com/signup

Thanks to your continuous support of our game, City of Steam has finally been approved on Valve's Greenlight approval system. We are thankful for everyone who voted for us and who spread the word! If you want to know more, you can find the full announcement here: http://cos.r2games.com/news/view/?id=1731

Also, we wrote up a dev journal (though delayed!), along with a video, about the showcase of City of Steam at PAX East and GDC 2013. The video itself is here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhX8U14XarI"]PAX 2013 Recap - YouTube[/ame]

We may be small, but we're very receptive to player feedback too, and strive to openly discuss the development process. Feel free to drop me a line and I'll respond to any questions you may have!:)

Last edited:
The Great Me
Interesting. Very interesting. I'm spoilt for choice on the classes and races. I usually prefer high-speed close-combat type of characters who can use magic. Hmm will need to learn more about this game before I decide what kind of character I'm gonna create. Either way, will definitely be playing this game. I prefer playing anime-styled games but I have a thing for indie games myself or anything that looks badass. Plus, I also have a soft spot for MMORPGs. Now, Keith Justice, get your ass in here, NOW!

Interesting. Very interesting. I'm spoilt for choice on the classes and races. I usually prefer high-speed close-combat type of characters who can use magic. Hmm will need to learn more about this game before I decide what kind of character I'm gonna create. Either way, will definitely be playing this game. I prefer playing anime-styled games but I have a thing for indie games myself or anything that looks badass. Plus, I also have a soft spot for MMORPGs. Now, Keith Justice, get your ass in here, NOW!

Sweet, really great to get some feedback here, if interested (although not anime-styled, lol), feel free to drop by our community and join in on any of the discussions there. Also, help us test the game out this November, we'd really like to listen to players.

Check out a funny little video we made while stressed-out over getting City of Steam Beta ready. Feel free to leave us a comment, too! As always, keep an eye on our Dev Journals for latest development progress we've made, and share your thoughts. Beta should be rearing its head out sometime in November.

Hello everyone, we have plenty of great news share recently, so forgive me if this seems a bit spammy (but yeah...how else to spread the news on stuff like this..?)

First!Closed Beta Test will start on Nov. 16th (see more details via the announcement here), coupled with more content and contests;

Second! we just got a new Beta Teaser Trailer up, so please share the video with your friends and help spread the word out;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qTQJUVvuu8"]City of Steam - Beta Teaser Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Third! we now have brand new Beta Collaborator Packs, if you missed the Alpha packs, this is your chance to get a bunch of awesome extras for Beta!

Lastly, as we also have some goals to reach in Closed Beta, we do need your support to make them achievable. Check out the bonus content you could get in CBT on your Steam-o-Meter (it even includes developer humiliations; we may regret our enthusiasm later…).

Whew, ok, that was a lot of news, sorry for dropping so much on your guys at once… I’m glad to hear your comments on this though, so be sure to let me know what you think, or ask those questions I’m sure are crossing your mind!

Let’s take a new glance at the Steam-o-Meter after one week of its release. The great thing is that really awesome stuff like “Powered Gauntlets†and “Challenge Dungeons†have already been unlocked and pushed to be ready for Closed Beta… and now we’re getting so close to the first Dev Humiliation ever. So everyone, keep pushing up the points and unlocking more early content (wouldn't you like to see that cute Marshpuggle?)