No Fear, No Pain.
Kamen Rider 555 has that thing like "Kamen Rider Double" that says how it's meant to be for overseas viewers. It later got changed from the phi symbol with "'s" to "Faiz" because it's more difficult to express the character phi for most people.

That title card has "仮面ライダーダブル" and "Kamen Rider Double" as the intention, like (Phi)'s on it. That book seems to be exclusively made for Japanese speakers who use it as a cheap shortcut.

Hmmmm so you're saying I should just keep calling it W/Double like I always have?

Shyni
Uh, there's also the first 2 episodes which featured "W" as the "letter of the fortnight", and the letters generally refer to something Gaia Memory-related. Since there was no Dopant with W in front of its name, there's no way it wasn't "W for Double".

Back in Black
Hmmmm so you're saying I should just keep calling it W/Double like I always have?

No.

Uh, there's also the first 2 episodes which featured "W" as the "letter of the fortnight", and the letters generally refer to something Gaia Memory-related. Since there was no Dopant with W in front of its name, there's no way it wasn't "W for Double".

You can't use M twice. Each letter is meant to be used once. W made sense because it's a gimmick double letter and it resembles the Double Driver. It's not "OMG THE RIDER NAME!!!"

Shyni
It might not literally *be* his name, but as you said, that book was titled that way because people use W as a shorthand. That at the very least acknowledges the validity of using W that way.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's that the Double Driver looks like the letter W, not the other way around.

No Fear, No Pain.
Yeah his name is W. Just is. Sorry Shin.

And why can't you use M twice? We used S twice. And O. We even used M twice...

Did I misunderstand you or something?

Now, count up your crimes!
I was disappointed that Kiva's closest to a Fangire form was... that dragon bat... thing. And it's what lead to the silly Final Form Ride gimmicks in the next series. :redface2:

Back in Black
It might not literally *be* his name, but as you said, that book was titled that way because people use W as a shorthand. That at the very least acknowledges the validity of using W that way.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's that the Double Driver looks like the letter W, not the other way around.

It's a bad shorthand that comes from 仮面ライダW and the last syllable is suppressed.

Like I said, the intention still is meant to exist, but weaboos have indeed suppressed it.

http://www.kowaplace.com/toy/kamen_double_trigger_magnum_1.jpg/

kamen%20rider%20w%20double%20driver4.jpg

"가멘라이더 더블" "Gamenraideo deobeul" aka Kamen Rider Double. You could add the "yu" for "U" if that was the intention or you could add "bi" for "V", but there is no reason for it.

You can still see "Kamen Rider Double" on the title card graphic thing. :hmm: I wonder why.

And "OMG no such thing as reciprocity!"

Shyni
Cause and effect, yadda yadda. There' no way in hell Toei/Bandai designed the Rider and Driver without intentionally making it look like a letter of the Roman alphabet. The Double Driver was meant to look like the letter W. They didn't use W for the first 2 eps (just) because the letter looks like the Double Driver. They used it because the Double Driver was designed to look like the letter W, as that was the letter they wanted to have represent him. Come one, the alternative would have been CJLTHM. And that's even worse than actually typing out "Double".

Bottom line, it's an acceptable shorthand, and one that has been acknowledged to boot. Not too different from say, DC Comics fans using "Supes". And anyway, I don't really notice people referring to Dopants with their first letters like W for Weather. It'd get confusing for some letters (is T Taboo, Terror, or T-Rex?).

Last edited: