Reboots are honestly a cop-out because the scriptwriters and Hollywood in general for that matter can't come up with any better material

And your comment is completely unoriginal. Your point?

It's not that they can't come up with anything new, it is that they won't. Especially when much of Hollywood has a racist and an unrealistic ethnocentric agenda of only a few samples of Americans , no wonder they are losing ideas.

Look at their adapts of anime and look at the staleness of the industry. It's outdated blood , in its decisions and in its prejudice has left far less opportunities for minorities to star or actually be heavily involved in the production process unless it is marginalized as a "black film" , "latino film" or an "Asian film". Hollywood's overly Far Left and thus far from the realities of today have drained the industry and its artists, especially when a large white elite of them spout beliefs that they don't follow themselves or stick to "safe", it harms the industry's integrity and its art form.

A reboot isn't inherently horrible, it is the direction and the staff behind it that makes it shitty or not. Any higher corporate meddling makes the initial films suffer, and if not suffer , lose in quality. Remember the American Godzilla, Dragonball and Airbender? All those films, prior to the higher ups screwing around were on the way to potentially being great hits.

The execs for Sony said that Jan Debont's film would have been "too expensive" , yet all of the mass advertising and waste of budget for the final version which tanked awesomely (Made barely its money back, including promotion) and got shitty ratings. A reboot is now being done and the first attempt came when I was a kindergartener. This reboot, if they are as serious as they want to be , can be a great film.

For Paramount and Airbender, it was the combination of meddling and not keeping the initial script which the creators of the TV Show gave a two thumbs up. If they gave it a thumbs, it must have been great, and in reading the novelization, there were beads of greatness in the changes , whatever materials we've seen from the trailers here and abroad alongside news of filming the series in parts of Asia. However, casting was meddled and it was cut severely until it became a braindead TV Pilot for a live action mini-series of Avatar. As a result, it pretty much fucked up budding actors' careers, killed M.Night's and set a reboot back fro some time, which now might be animated. It would be cool if aniamted , just leave it to the people who did HTTYDragon and Rango and make it a Dreamworks production, their first 2d animated film in a decade or so since The Prince of Egypt.

That'd make the headlines.

For Dragonball, it just went bleh , it's jumping to a very poorly done adaptation of the second Chi-Chi /Goku arc that leads to DBZ leaves the question? Why didn't they just adapt it from the beginning , have it compete with Airbender and stay somewhat close to the series as possible with changes to streamline the story? The story is good , but it needed buildup. A staff wielding martial artist that is from another world and turns to a monkey with a full moon, plus any adding the newer canon story of his origins? That'd be a totally perfect film , if done right, to compete with the Avatar reboots and with the wealth of material? Two trilogies worth, including Z.

Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, Hulk, Captain America, Fantastic Four and perhaps Superman have and will join the ranks of successful rebooted franchises because they are being handled seriously and with respect to their material.

The first attempt at Cap , the FF, and Nick Fury were poorly done 90's films that gave no heed to the material and were thus poorly done. Well, the Fantastic Four's reboot was great , Captain America is the ideal WWII period piece and Nick Fury in his appearance and the Avengers, well they improved him vastly. And it's all due to the evolution of effects that before, would make those films impossible to pursue without looking absolutely stupid or half-baked.

We need to get Hollywood and push it towards not only making decent reboots , but promoting newer films as massively as their safe hits that will innovate and change the status quo despite their risk, but will show to the audience that said studio has FAITH in their own products. When have we seen Hollywood put faith into newer innovative films as well as they do with franchises and reboots in the past ten years? Hardly.

Power Rangers had little faith from Disney and the quality declined while now, Saban has all the faith in the world for it and is getting it off its butt. Superhero films were though impossible until the right people got their heads together and made them work because the studios had FAITH in them and their products. We the audience know that these films can be done, but Hollywood, if it has no faith in their own products , why should we have faith in theirs ?

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
ratings look very promising at the moment...

100% from 15 reviews

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dredd_3d/

We'll have to wait and see how it does in America, because from the promos and the trailer, it looks like a remake of New Jack City

Dredd isn't very well known here and the people that do know about him only know him from the Stallone movie which I wouldn't necessarily say is the best way to be introduced to a post-apocalyptic black comedy

I'll definitely be seeing it the day of it's release though

DAIMON PAWNCH
oops, noticed I've been here before

Last edited:
Banned
the reviews are good but not sure if the Box Office Numbers $$$$ will reflect it...(Example: Scott Pilgrim)

the movie would need to make close to $200 million worldwide on a budget of $40 million for a sequel i think...

When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
the reviews are good but not sure if the Box Office Numbers $$$$ will reflect it...(Example: Scott Pilgrim)

the movie would need to make close to $200 million worldwide on a budget of $40 million for a sequel i think...

Yeah, I'm not holding out much hope for a sequel

If it does get one, it'll probably only get one in the UK only

Lurker
Just saw it. Very entertaining, and VERY much like the comics. Karl nails Dredd perfectly. Straight-forward no-nosense perp-smashing with an uncomplicated, easy-to-follow story told in a clever and adrenelane-pumping manner.

[hide]Mama really did herself in on this movie, had she not skinned and tossed her men off the top of the block, she wouldnt have attracted the Judge's attention, but she even admitted that her bust was an inevitiabiliy, so I chalk it up to her just willfully living on the edge.

Anderson held herself well togther...felt a little bad she basicly ends the movie NOT knowing she passed her assesment and storms off in a huff, but she displayed sound judgement the whole flick, only irritating Dredd a couple of times. The bit where she finds out she killed the husband of the mother who helped them reach the elevator was a striking moment with me, the first of two great plot twists that bowled me over

The twist with the "911" squad was unexpected...and I know the comic strip has a history of corrupt Judges, so I should have at least smelled it. I didnt. And it floored me. The Doctor who denied Dredd access to the medical wing got silenced just as he finally chose which side he was on. Sad and sudden, but a great twist in the tale.

The Slo-Mo effects were very good. I think Mama's own experiance with it should have been reserved only for her death scene as we already saw her use it in the bath. Dredd and Anderson's initial shoot-out using the technique was brutal stuff, very swift and deadly, and badass.

I just love how the bust is, for the most part, pretty one-sided, with Dredd and Anderson never being down for any particular count (save for Anderson's breif capture and Dredd getting shot by armour-peircing bullets) and the villains looking incredibly desperate and dangerous, some even victims of Mama themselves rather than out and out henchmen

Part of me actually wanted Dredd to gun down the two kids. but you probably can't afford to make him look TOO cruel a lawman[/hide]

That was just the opening weekend anyways. I bet it will make it up.

Hard to tell. I don't know about the rest of the world, but for the USA, DREDD had some bad timing about coming to the theaters. It premiered just as people were planning for and getting back into school and college (and work, in some cases). I think DREDD could have had a better opening if it had just premiered a little earlier in the Summer.