The new Tendou Souji
Now that I think about it, all female Riders, 'cept Yuri and Megumi from Kiva, have been movie exclusive Riders (and, well, end up dead.....:redface2:).

[hide]Ryuki - Femme: Movie-only, dead
Faiz - Saya: TV Show, dead
Blade - L'arc: Movie-only, dead
Hbiki - Shuki: TV Show, dead
Kabuto - None
Den-O - None
Kiva 1986 - Yuri: TV Show, lives but, dies later due to unexplained circumstances
Kiva 2008 - Megumi: TV Show, lives
Decade - Natsumi: Movie-only, lives
W - None unless you count Akiko during the Dreams arc and, that's like counting that one female Agito.
OOO - None
Fourze - Nadeshiko: Movie-only, dead[/hide]

So, I wouldn't say "all of been movie-only" since a couple were involved in the TV show itself. Though, it seems only recently they've been making it through and, not becoming a statistic.

Aronbafon
It's still not quite the same. Magical girls are their own genre. There is little actual tokusatsu aimed at a female audience, and even less that doesn't involve magical girls (there was Fushigi Comedy, which I'm told was somewhat like Metal Heroes, but it's been off the air for decades.)

However PreCure is using the Tokusatsu formula that Sentai and Rider is using as well.

All three shows are build up from the same basics.

Heroes are forever
Nadeshiko was still alive, the SOLU lived on and flied off to space.

Of course, getting technical about it she's not even human, so go figure.

Minato Ascending
Nadeshiko was still alive, the SOLU lived on and flied off to space.

Of course, getting technical about it she's not even human, so go figure.

Well, in a way Nadeshiko was killed in MegaMax, but her spirit lives on in her jelly form. I'd love to have a female secondary rider who will not be killed, but it seems like Toei not only thinks they sell less toys than male riders, but they also must be eliminated to please the adolescent boys in their target demographic. At least they spare the pretty, non-rider girls. :redface2:

A Malaysian Deviant
Here's my thought:

Unless there's a female primary or secondary rider is featured in the future shows, Bandai won't release the female Rider toy as regular releases. Since Toei keeping the "riders in the TV shows must be male" requirement, the chance for having the female Rider as primary/secondary rider in the show is very small.

Also Bandai always releases female toku character toys as webshop exclusives, especially Kamen Rider.

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
Well, in a way Nadeshiko was killed in MegaMax, but her spirit lives on in her jelly form. I'd love to have a female secondary rider who will not be killed, but it seems like Toei not only thinks they sell less toys than male riders, but they also must be eliminated to please the adolescent boys in their target demographic. At least they spare the pretty, non-rider girls. :redface2:

I think it's a form of "stuffing into the fridge" whereby a character (usually female) is killed off or hurt in order to provide another character (usually male) with angst and/or motivation. Having a female Rider die adds a bit more drama, especially if she's a love interest for the hero; and it's a convenient way to write her out so that kids won't expect to see her return in the show. There was no need to do that for Kivala since she appeared in the last movie planned for Decade.

Aronbafon
Here's my thought:

Unless there's a female primary or secondary rider is featured in the future shows, Bandai won't release the female Rider toy as regular releases. Since Toei keeping the "riders in the TV shows must be male" requirement, the chance for having the female Rider as primary/secondary rider in the show is very small.

Also Bandai always releases female toku character toys as webshop exclusives, especially Kamen Rider.

Actually I think it's Bandai general say with the female primary/secondary.

Podcaster Arms!
i don't know about you guys and girls but i would have bought a Nadeshiko henshin belt ^_^

I think it's a form of "stuffing into the fridge" whereby a character (usually female) is killed off or hurt in order to provide another character (usually male) with angst and/or motivation. Having a female Rider die adds a bit more drama, especially if she's a love interest for the hero; and it's a convenient way to write her out so that kids won't expect to see her return in the show. There was no need to do that for Kivala since she appeared in the last movie planned for Decade.

Well, that's all only really applicable to Nadeshiko though - and another reason for her death was to create more parallels between Stronger and Gentaro.

For the earlier movie Riders, what people seem to conveniently forget is that, even though the stories were AUs completely separate from the narratives of each show basically every movie Rider ended up dead. The only pre-Decade ones who survived were the ones from Hibiki's movie, and they're technically dead during the present scenes, which also had no females, and later on New Den-O. Every single other pre-Decade movie Rider, most of them male, died in the end, even if they weren't villains.

*smooth jazz*
The OP's point makes complete sense if you think about it; after all, how many Batgirl/Supergirl toys do you see in the States? Fairly few. They just don't reach the primary demographic.