The new Tendou Souji

How was Sawada a yandere? He was more of a sociopath with bad taste in music. He had no real love interests (I dunno how much of his care for Mari was actually honest).

How is Kusaka yandere?

He was a male yandere because of his whole "I need to separate anything Mari might find that disturbs her from being my Waifu! Takumi, Kiba, Lucky Clover! They are enemies in my quest for love."

Yandere do not pretend. They are so bipolar they can go from innocent flower to serial killer in a snap and be honest in both forms.

[hide]
lbR7f.jpg
[/hide]

But in the end, that’s just my opinion. You guys are also entitled to your opinions and I guess it is up to the individual translator/editor to make the call.

Yep and, the second we'd lose that is the second this discussion falls on its head. (/corny dialogue)

TVN is if a fan subbing group full of weaboos decided to translate everything literally

Hey, not everyone in the group is like that. I mean, I'm one and I'm not. :laugh:

Rider Soul Ranger Spirit
OT to TN is like Windows to Mac.
Windows - OT -> It's square and reliable. You kinda get lost in the process sometimes, because it's not user friendly at times. But you can pretty much rely on what it says and does. It's cheap, everyone's first choice if you're not adapted to something else.
MAc - TN -> It's fancy, and it's showy, and it's all about looks. It does the same thing Windows does, you just have to 'pay' (wait) a whole lot more to it. But of course, if you like it, you'll be labeled a ***.

You people and your dicotomic and almost religious thoughts on everything...

On to the episode: HARUTO DA BEAST. That mo'fo Rider Kick with mo'fo DragonRize!

I liked pretty much everything. The cg wasn't that good, but you'd expect them to get kind of worse with time. I just don't mind it, it's not like we have a lot of other weekly shows with cg monsters to compare quality terms. I like that it was also a mythical creature, a cyclope, at that.

I was somewhat disappointed it wasn't really Shunpei's magic.

And 'Sui sui sui' with that surfist theme is kind of annoying.

But it was pretty great, and the action is so damn good in this. I was really surprised Hell Hound was just **** THIS ****, I'M BROADCASTING THE HORROR AND EMBARASSING YOU IN FRONT OF THE NATION.

Also, hmm, it was NateRiver complained about how he reached sides for other forms, right? Well, I have a guess, it might be pretty wrong, but I think the side he reaches depends on what form he's on. It depends on which part of the circle he is right now, and where he's going to from it.

Fangtaku
Again, I don't really like either group, but TVN is lesser of two evils for me (and, I'm sorry, when someone says something IN ENGLISH and the subs have a completely different (yet related) phrase, there's a problem). Which is why I was asking if anyone else is subbing it, so I don't have to put up with either group.

And fifteening is where harsher language is used in place of what was originally lighter language. The name came from early US anime companies who were trying to use the dialogue to bump up the rating to 15+ (or higher). As a recent professional example, think of what FUNimation did to Crayon Shin-chan or Hetalia Axis Powers. For me, fifteening is inexcusable, and I will not support any release, professional or not, that use it. Tokusatsu are for children, and some wordings I've found in OT's subs are definitely geared to older viewers, instead of the target demographic, and when I see translations of "sexy" for "kawaii" (cute), it bothers me.

(and, I'm sorry, when someone says something IN ENGLISH and the subs have a completely different (yet related) phrase, there's a problem).

Speaking of that, why is it that some subbers feel the need to translate "Mama" and "Papa" into, for example, Mommy and Daddy? What's the point? Mama and Papa are used in English. I used those words myself when I was little; I'm sure their meanings are obvious to anyone. I don't get the reasoning there.

The Meteor has landed
Speaking of that, why is it that some subbers feel the need to translate "Mama" and "Papa" into, for example, Mommy and Daddy? What's the point? Mama and Papa are used in English. I used those words myself when I was little; I'm sure their meanings are obvious to anyone. I don't get the reasoning there.

Are you talking about HorribleSubs' latest SAO episode? :sly:

But yeah, I don't know either. Maybe because no one uses that term anymore? I know that's unlikely but, I don't know.

The new Tendou Souji
And fifteening is where harsher language is used in place of what was originally lighter language. The name came from early US anime companies who were trying to use the dialogue to bump up the rating to 15+ (or higher). As a recent professional example, think of what FUNimation did to Crayon Shin-chan or Hetalia Axis Powers.

Or, like what they did to Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

Nice post!!
The new line might sound more fluid in English, but why won’t translating it as ‘Useless, useless, useless, useless!” work as well?

Is the character supposed to be insane? Translating it that way makes me imagine a psychopathic lunatic with who's having a serious mental break, and is about to stab someone to death.

I don't know anything about the show, that's just what reading your phrasing made me think. If that's an accurate impression, then your point is well-made. If it's not, then that translation has a problem.

Speaking of that, why is it that some subbers feel the need to translate "Mama" and "Papa" into, for example, Mommy and Daddy? What's the point?

It has to do with how the terms are used specifically in Japanese. Use of 'mama' and 'papa' is informal in Japanese, equivalent to the American 'mommy' and 'daddy'. A child referring to their parents in a formal way usually uses one of the native Japanese terms instead, with honorific modifiers adding extra shades of formality.

In both British and American English, 'mama' and 'papa' are considered more formal terms. In British English they still see regular use, but in American English they're largely considered old-fashioned and are not used by the average child anymore. Generally when subbers opt to make the change, they want to make it clear the child is being informal.

Or, like what they did to Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

I'm pretty sure I recall seeing an episode of Panty and Stocking prior to the FUNi dub where Panty screams **** in Engrish as loud as she can, while the animators had a giant **** balloon across the screen. So, I'm not sure why you'd object to a translation full of cussing for that show? The animators were clearly into the idea of English cursing.

Actually, the most objectionable thing I saw in those screencaps were all the lol Internet slang!!! references, which absolutely aren't present in the original script and really don't have any place in the show. Adding them in takes away most of the script's cool crudeness and makes the whole thing feel kind of pathetic and pandering.

The new Tendou Souji
So, I'm not sure why you'd object to a translation full of cussing for that show? The animators were clearly into the idea of English cursing.

Oh, I'm not objecting to the swearing in general; I just wish Funi didn't overdo it, like they did. Last I saw any of said dub, it really felt like not one line went by w/o a F or S-bomb being dropped and, I know I used Horriblesubs, but geez, it didn't seem like that when I watched it prior.

In relation, I heard they changed the Engrishy F-bomb lines (like, "You effer!" instead of.. well, you get the idea) from the zombie episode which just makes me think this since they seemed so into swearing.

Last edited:
Episode had been over for twenty minutes and we already have a glorious gif.

fmb-38478.gif

Damn.. I'd like to make this as my sig. That ok with you? ;)

As for the episode, well what's not to like? I love the fight choreography of this series so far. Haruto fights like a kung fu master with his flips and kicks. The water form is awesome, something I think he should have done last ep against the Hellhound. Rinko and Koyomi are gorgeous as usual. I like that Koyomi is slow to accept the new additions to the tight knit group. Maybe there's a potential competition between her and Rinko in the future for Haruto's attention.

I think it's pretty hilarious that Haruto just couldn't get a bite out of donut in this episode. I LOL when Shigeru stolen the last donut in the bag at the end. I found myself rewatching each episode because they are so good. Keep it up Toei you've got a fan in me.

Last edited: