Shyni
Thanks for all the replies on this folks. Can anyone link me up to either a site where I can view any of the suggested series / shows with subs or a site where I can buy subbed shows on DVD.

Thanks again chaps!
Richie

Subbed DVDs? The only Kamen Rider show that has subbed DVDs is V3. Most shows only have unofficial subtitles. (As in fansubs)

No Fear, No Pain.
If you want to be all legal about it then import the DVDs then down load the fan subs. Not that Toei cares about out of Japan folks like us getting free fansubs. Just means they get more toy sells. They do love their toy sells.

Back in Black
Subbed DVDs? The only Kamen Rider show that has subbed DVDs is V3. Most shows only have unofficial subtitles. (As in fansubs)

He said all, not just Kamen Rider.

Many people are here for sentai and a few people are here for Ultra and even less are here for kaiju in general.

Shyni
If you want to be all legal about it then import the DVDs then down load the fan subs. Not that Toei cares about out of Japan folks like us getting free fansubs. Just means they get more toy sells. They do love their toy sells.
Well, he was asking about subbed DVDs. I was just pointing out that those aren't known to uh, exist. Besides HK bootlegs with wacky subtitles.

He said all, not just Kamen Rider.

Many people are here for sentai and a few people are here for Ultra and even less are here for kaiju in general.
Well, the lack of subbed DVDs is true for all toku franchises, isn't it?

North West England Representative
What’s the problem with HK subs then? Are they out of time or just don’t make sense? I used to watch a few Samurai films and some of the films I got off a trader a while ago just didn’t make sense. I’ve also had anime with out of time subs and it made the stuff completely unwatchable.

After looking around youtube for ages I finally found some Sentai stuff that had decent subs and I really enjoyed it. I also found a Kamen Rider film with subs on there but I felt that I really needed to know a lot of the backstory from the series for it to make sense. I only watched the first 10 / 15 minutes of that one before giving up in a confused huff!

I’m pretty open minded about stuff that I can watch. As shingamyeonblack said, I’m looking for any / all shows from within this genre with English subs. I think I’d prefer streaming these days though over DVD after enjoying the ease at with which I’ve been able to watch the Spiderman serried that I’ve been talking about in the other thread.

What’s the problem with HK subs then? Are they out of time or just don’t make sense? I used to watch a few Samurai films and some of the films I got off a trader a while ago just didn’t make sense. I’ve also had anime with out of time subs and it made the stuff completely unwatchable.

After looking around youtube for ages I finally found some Sentai stuff that had decent subs and I really enjoyed it. I also found a Kamen Rider film with subs on there but I felt that I really needed to know a lot of the backstory from the series for it to make sense. I only watched the first 10 / 15 minutes of that one before giving up in a confused huff!

I’m pretty open minded about stuff that I can watch. As shingamyeonblack said, I’m looking for any / all shows from within this genre with English subs. I think I’d prefer streaming these days though over DVD after enjoying the ease at with which I’ve been able to watch the Spiderman serried that I’ve been talking about in the other thread.

They can get you through the story, but you'll get a lot of English that just doesn't make sense, including names that pop out of nowhere. There are a few examples in the LOL Toku threads, but you'll have to look a bit.

EDIT: Examples: http://forums.henshinjustice.net/showthread.php?t=77257

They're basically Japanese translated to Chinese, and then google translated to English.

Back in Black
HK subs usually are twice-translated and neither one is accurate, so the translations break away far from the actual meanings. This varies very much due to accuracy dependency.

There also are some timing issues due to scripts not being re-timed or roughly re-timed. The video gets encoded in a way that loses a few frames and the script does not fit well or the caption file is the base of the subtitle file and it gets moved to reach the dialogue without completely matching the original center. This is because captions usually make room in the sides so that people can read them without rushing, and the easiest way to re-time it is by finding the center.

Streaming tokusatsu shows is rare outside what Saban has. You may want to look up tokusatsu films because there are more of those licensed in the United States. I could recommend a few and you could look up those on whatever you use to stream video. You can start with Gojia aka Godzilla and Gamera. I actually prefer Gamera to Gojira, but most people disagree.

Edit: Don't mind the signature quote. You shouldn't get into that.

Shyni
Anyway, besides what everybody else have said, your best bet for watching the TV shows with subtitles would be downloading from fansub groups.