Lurker
excuse me for not know, but what's chaiyo?

Aoi Kurenai's explanation wasn't exactly quite right... Eiji Tsuburaya died in 1970, years before Tsuburaya Pro had any dealings with Chaiyo. On SciFi Japan we ran a detailed history of the battle between TPC and Chaiyo. It only covers up to 2007 (the year the article was posted) but it explains how this whole mess got started and should answer any questions you might have...

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2007/07/01/legal-victories-for-tsuburaya-productions/

I'm hoping that if this does well, if Chaiyo is behind it, then it'll light a fire under Tsuburaya and they'll double their efforts to release a truly official version to the US.

As long as Chaiyo is in the picture, Tsuburaya is legally prevented from releasing the first six Ultra shows in the US.

Why would THEY have anything to do with it? The past times have all been with either Mill Creek or that other one, and I doubt that since the ruling they would screw around like that. IT would be suicide for them as well as Shout Factory to be infringing.

The Japanese courts ruled in Chaiyo's favor, so at this point they're legally able to offer the show and companies like Shout! can license it.

I find it PATHETIC that Tsuburaya has made ZERO attempts at localizing Ultraman for the US. It was extremely successful the last time aka Great, so why not recall the thunder especially when the Toku lightning is hot?

From the early 1980s until 1996, TPC made several attempts to do Ultraman productions in English markets, particularly the US. Most of the projects they developed never saw the light of day, and the few that did get made-- the animated movie ULTRAMAN: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS, the Aussie show ULTRAMAN: TOWARDS THE FUTURE and the US show ULTRAMAN: THE ULTIMATE HERO-- were not successful. After 15 years of getting nowhere, TPC turned their attention back to Japan where they found a lot of success starting with ULTRAMAN TIGA and THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF ULTRAMAN.

How the **** are they STILL releasing ANYTHING when they have lost the case in Japan?

Because they didn't lose. All the fan reports saying TPC completely defeated Chaiyo last year got the story wrong.

Why aren't Tsuburaya allowed to distribute their own stuff, exactly?

Because the Japanese court ruled that a 1976 contract granting Chaiyo permanent international rights to the first six Ultra series is valid.

Also, the wording makes it sound like they'd want to "overturn the court decision", whatever that is.

Tsuburaya says the Chaiyo contract is a forgery and have gone to court several times to get the rulings for Chaiyo overturned. You can see photos of the contract in the article I linked to above, and see how legit it is or isn't.

Will any of the money this would make actually go to Tsuburaya?

No.

Lurker
It can't be helped. Even though Chaiyo is responsible for this I'm going to buy it and so should everyone. Because I hold hope that Shout! Factory will be showing the sales results to Tsuburaya and if it sales well enough it will inspire Tsuburaya to start taking action against Chaiyo so we get series from them not Chaiyo.

Shyni
Uh, Tsuburaya have been taking action. They have been for years. They've had some victories, but it's just not over yet. See the article that kpa69 linked to. Even if this set didn't exist, Tsuburaya would still be taking legal action.
What, did you think that Tsuburaya wouldn't care that somebody is preventing them from marketing their own stuff unless the pirated set makes loads of money?

Last edited:
Lurker
No I did not think that. I just worded it badly then again I don't think you fully understood what I meant. I know Tsuburaya as been taking action what I meant was if this sells really well Tsuburaya will become inspired to kick Chaiyo to the curb even more.

Shyni
And how would people buying this encourage them even more? If lots of people buy this set, they'll be able to watch the show, and they wouldn't really need any legit Tsuburaya DVDs. Which means that Tsuburaya would feel less motivated to market their stuff in the US, seeing as people will already have DVDs. I imagine that not too many people will be able to tell that this is not a legit set, seeing as it's from a company like Shout. So, if a real set from Tsuburaya comes out, they'd likely go "eh, I can already watch this on my Shout Factory set". And even if they did know this was a bootleg, how many would actually spend money for another set? You can't expect most people to spend money just because they wanna support Tsuburaya. Maybe big Ultra fanboys would, but I'm guessing other people would have other financial priorities than that.

Last edited:
Lurker
Who said anything about a legit Ultra Seven set being release by Tsuburaya? I meant in the future they release something like Ultraman Jack or Ace. There would be no point for them release a Ultra Seven set.

Lurker
They both should and shouldn't buy this set. They should because if it sells well it will at least make it known there is a market for Tokusatsu in North America. They shouldn't because the it isn't from the creators.

Unfortunately I have to buy it because its Tokusatsu. Boycotting this set isn't going to help Tokusatsu at all in North America. We'll still be stuck with Power Rangers (Which to me is So Bad its Good.). I really do hate that Tsuburaya has nothing to do with the set but it can't be helped. Besides Tsuburaya can still put out the Heisei Series so it should hopefully even out eventually.

Shyni
The problem isn't that this set is not from Tsuburaya. The problem is that it's a bootleg set masquerading as legit. It only exists because of a big fraud. This set actively works against Tsuburaya's desire to market the show. Even if they can release the Heisei series, well, Tsuburaya deserve to be able to release all their shows.