Minato Ascending
I would have found it interesting if it had some dark secret to it. Like it's messiah's actual blood or something creepy like that.

I'm hoping some revelation about Enetron will come to light later on, especially since they've downplayed its importance with the revamped OP.

I care about the characters too myself, really dig Blue Buster. Jin and J are fun but they're not characters I really care about. Honestly Jin's a dick.

Well, Jin and J are basically cut from the same cloth, because Jin created J and that's why both are narcissistic. Personally, I do like all the Go-busters, although I wish they'd give Hiromu a different personality and not one who seems to be grumpy and easily offends people. Leave that kind of personality to a non-Red ranger imo, and let Red be more charismatic.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Part of me wonders if she needs to have a break, let those creative juices flow and build up a few ideas or a concept she feels passionate about without having to get it straight down on paper and into production, then come back. Unfortunately pesky reality and the need to pay the bills means that's not exactly possible.

People have been speculating about whether Toei will keep asking Kobayashi back after this show. I think they will, but perhaps not for a year or two; and a break from Sentai/Rider might be good for her. Anime series are usually shorter and not quite so intense as a whole year's live-action show

And that view is complete horseshit. The ikemen boom starts with Kuuga and Timeranger, shows Takebe didn't work on. When she did work on Rider, she was only an assistant producer until Kiva, and wouldn't have had any sort of final say over casting. All she really did with Kiva and OOO was imitate casting choices that had proven successful before.

The idea that Takebe originated pretty boy Rider casting comes from an awful puff piece that ran just before Go-Busters started, trying to make it seem like she was somehow responsible for Heisei Rider's success. So therefore, you should watch Go-Busters to see what she'd do with Sentai!! Except Go-Busters pretty much proves that Takebe can't innovate to save her life.

Given how old Ryuuji is? I seriously doubt it. Go-Busters just doesn't have an ikemen cast at all. I think Escape was added almost purely to get some sex appeal into the cast, though I think that move backfired.

I would say they were casting for acting or performing ability, except... the Go-Busters cast really isn't all that good? Or maybe they just don't have much to work with, I dunno.

I didn't say she is, i said she was being "seen", since as you said, they were trying to label her as the super ikemen producer, and not only in that one piece of news. Also all those OOO reports promoting her as pretty much a queen.

And yeah, since their acting skills are nothing to write home about, i don't think they were after "not pretty, but talented" people. The actor playing Ryuuji is older because the script needed it, and it's more believable if the actor actually looks like he's 28. Or did they change the plot just to match his age? That, i doubt.

One thing I find a bit annoying is that Enetron is basically a magical macguffin without much thought put it into it. Apparently it's ecological and yet it's not renewable it's mined? It's kept in tanks but you can get it by plugging into the wall? and if Enter wanted it without attracting attention why not plug something that slowly sucks Enetron equal to a fridge and just keep multiple of those going for a while? No one would notice a spike.

That bothers me too. It does sound like a cool idea at first, but i guess they didn't think long term when they came up with it. And Enetron as the center of all things kinda limits the story and action, unlike the different precious in Boukenger.
People used to say that Enter was great because " he is allowed some victories". Well, when his goal is just stealing Enetron then it's very, very easy to write in some victories. There's enough of it everywhere and he didn't really make good use of it.

Last edited:
always henshining'
The only people really tuning in for it in Japan now are Sentai die-hards, and I feel basically the same thing is happening over here in the West, too.
i heard the japanese sentai otaku didnt like this show. are they hate-watching ? :laugh:

I think Escape was added almost purely to get some sex appeal into the cast, though I think that move backfired.
why do you say that ?

Nice post!!
I'm interested to hear your view on this: Why do you think they picked him at his age?

My theory is that, going into this, Takebe's plan was to make a fan-pleasing show that answered a lot of typical fan complaints about Sentai. I believe this was the case since that was clearly how she approached production in OOO and Kiva, where many story elements reflect exactly what people said they wanted to see in Rider at the time.

One of the traditional fan complaints about modern Sentai is that Toei casts too young, and that as a result, people simply can't take the characters seriously as heroes. They too obviously look like models or idols, and lack any of the ruggedness you'd see in someone who was fighting a massive battle against an invading enemy.

I think Blue Buster was cast specifically to please that segment of the audience. While Hiromu and Yoko are the traditional age of modern Sentai protagonists, Blue Buster is pretty much an adult and clearly meant to be identifiable to older viewers. And even Hiromu, though he's in the typical age range, has much more of a rugged look to him than, say, the last three Reds.

In short: we complained, and Takebe made the horrible mistake of listening. Rider can coast by simply doing what fans say they want to see, because the goodwill toward that franchise is massive. If you do what Sentai fans say they want to see, you'll end up making a boring show because Sentai fans will literally say they just want to see stuff from old shows repeated mindlessly.

I think that for a rejuvenation like W they actually need someone that's an outsider to Toku.

Well, that's the thing. W really wasn't the result of newcomers to toku. Tsukada was an old hand at Sentai at the time, and just new to Rider. Hasegawa was a veteran, highly acclaimed Ultraman writer. Sanjo was probably the newest, but even he had written fill-in episodes before.

W I think was the result of Tsukada realizing that he was a newcomer to Rider, and that he had to form some opinion of the franchise to write about it honest. W is pretty much the result of Tsukada and his writers studying classic Rider and forming an opinion about it.

Where Go-Busters goes wrong, I think, is that it doesn't really have an opinion about Sentai. It's shaped like "first principles" shows like W and Kuuga because Takebe knows that works, but Takebe never really expresses strong creative opinions in her shows.

She usually leaves that up to the writers... and Kobayashi has simply worked in Sentai too long to make some sort of big statement about it in Go-Busters. Her big statement about Sentai already exists and is called Gingaman. Beyond that, Kobayashi clearly doesn't view her projects in pure genre terms.

Clearly the show is doing badly but I don't think it's just "oh kids don't like the military theme". Kids would have no reason to come to that idea with any biased view.

The "military theme" idea has mostly come up because of Gundam AGE. In doing market research to try and figure out why Gundam AGE wasn't the next Danball Senki or Inazuma Eleven, Bandai basically got a lot of statements from kids to the effect of, "I don't understand military stuff or space stuff so I don't want to watch a show about it." Basically I wonder if the factors that hurt AGE are ultimately hurting Go-Busters, too.

Especially when you consider what the exact same combo did with Kamen Rider just six months earlier.

So here's the thing. With OOO, as far as I can tell, Takebe just set out to make the show that Rider fans at the time said they wanted to see, adjusting the planned story and concept in accordance to feedback. So when fans made it clear they thought that Uva was boring as ****, for example, he disappeared until fans started going, "Oh man, where's Uva??"

OOO probably would've been pretty dreadful, except Kobayashi was there with her usual Big Character Ideas. And among those big character concepts was Ankh, and Ankh was a good enough character that he almost carried the show by himself. Eiji even acquits himself as a strong character concept by the show's end.

I imagine Toei thought a duo like this would do great things to make Sentai exciting again. Except... for whatever reason, Kobayashi has no truly great character ideas this time around. Enter's as close as we get, and he's the villain, so it's kind of problem that he's the most charismatic and memorable guy in the cast.

Without Kobayashi to give her substance, Takebe doesn't have anything to prop up the show. Attempts to modify the show in accordance to fan feedback simply made it worse in every way, since it went from a weird take on Sentai to one that was more generic and therefore even more boring. I think on some level Takebe doesn't know how not to be boring.

While I am one of the minority who enjoy Go-Busters, I do sometimes wonder if Kobayashi is just getting slightly burned out?

Kobayashi's writing schedule is fairly light, as a Japanese anime/toku writer's usually workload goes. I don't think she's burnt out, but I do wonder if she accepted the Go-Busters writing gig and then realized she had no ideas for it. Takebe isn't a producer like Tsukada or Utsunomiya who will give you ideas when you don't have your own.

One thing I find a bit annoying is that Enetron is basically a magical macguffin without much thought put it into it

Enetron really is a genuinely bad McGuffin. I expect it was designed thinking that it could work like the do-anything McGuffins that fans readily accept in Kamen Rider stories. Sentai is far more setting-driven, though, and fans in Sentai expect that stuff like mojikara and geki and mahou will be satisfactorily explained at some point.

People have been speculating about whether Toei will keep asking Kobayashi back after this show.

I can't see Toei turning on Kobayashi after this, and if they do it's as stupid and short-sighted a move as their alienation of Takatera. The person I'd really expect to see take the fall for Go-Busters's failure is Takebe. Toei hyped her to the moon and back before Go-Busters aired, not Kobayashi. I'd be fairly surprised if they used her again after this embarrassment.

And yeah, since their acting skills are nothing to write home about, i don't think they were after "not pretty, but talented" people. The actor playing Ryuuji is older because the script needed it, and it's more believable if the actor actually looks like he's 28. Or did they change the plot just to match his age? That, i doubt.

Actually, you'd be wrong there. Toei changes up the plots of its henshin hero shows all the time based on casting. Takatera did this on purpose, tailoring the characters of the cast to what he saw as the strengths of the actors playing them. Takebe has unquestionably done it. Eiji was completely rewritten as a charater to fit Shu Watanabe's strengths as a performer. (He was supposed to be basically another iteration of Takumi from Faiz.)

So for Ryuuji to be so old, it couldn't be something Kobayashi insisted on. The producer has the final say over that. If Takebe had wanted to reduce Ryuuji's act to say 24 or 25 and cast accordingly, she easily could have. She just didn't, and my guess at her motivation is outlined above. That said, we don't really know what she was thinking until she decides to tell us.

i heard the japanese sentai otaku didnt like this show. are they hate-watching ? :laugh:

They'd have to be! From the numbers, the only group that tunes in consistently to Go-Busters is M1 and a bit of M2-- that is, fanboys who grew up on Sentai and make a point of watching it every year. The Kids ratings are as usual erratic, but when they do tune in it's just not in large numbers.

why do you say that ?

I get the impression that Escape was not a popular character, and that a lot of the attempts to make her seem sexy to fans just made her seen annoying instead. My guess would be that her awkward stunts in the first episode put off the hard-nosed Sentai fanboys most likely to find a character like that super-sexy, but I haven't seen a lot of specific feedback on that yet.

One of the traditional fan complaints about modern Sentai is that Toei casts too young, and that as a result, people simply can't take the characters seriously as heroes. They too obviously look like models or idols, and lack any of the ruggedness you'd see in someone who was fighting a massive battle against an invading enemy.

I think Blue Buster was cast specifically to please that segment of the audience. While Hiromu and Yoko are the traditional age of modern Sentai protagonists, Blue Buster is pretty much an adult and clearly meant to be identifiable to older viewers.

I still think Ryoma Baba isn't very different from the usual mommy pleaser ikemen they get, despite being a bit older than usual. I mean, the guy was used to do this kind of scene:
w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=RuzYGCcIleY

And i think when we talk about certain actors not being attractive enough, we look at it from a western perspective, which is not always the same view. Someone like Hiroki Aiba/Shinken Blue would hardly be considered handsome by our standards, but he has a huge fangirl following in Japan.

Actually, you'd be wrong there. Toei changes up the plots of its henshin hero shows all the time based on casting. Takatera did this on purpose, tailoring the characters of the cast to what he saw as the strengths of the actors playing them. Takebe has unquestionably done it. Eiji was completely rewritten as a charater to fit Shu Watanabe's strengths as a performer. (He was supposed to be basically another iteration of Takumi from Faiz.)

So for Ryuuji to be so old, it couldn't be something Kobayashi insisted on. The producer has the final say over that. If Takebe had wanted to reduce Ryuuji's act to say 24 or 25 and cast accordingly, she easily could have. She just didn't, and my guess at her motivation is outlined above. That said, we don't really know what she was thinking until she decides to tell us.

I get that, but in Go-Busters' case, Ryuuji being an older brother is such a vital part of...well, prety much everything regarding his and the other characters: their interactions, backgrounds, etc that it would be kind of sad if the whole series was shaped this way just because Takebe insisted on using Ryoma Baba.

Nice post!!
I still think Ryoma Baba isn't very different from the usual mommy pleaser ikemen they get, despite being a bit older than usual. I mean, the guy was used to do this kind of scene:

The guy who played Kenzaki in Blade got a blowjob from another dude on-camera. I don't really see what your point is? I mean, do you think housewives watch this kind of thing?

Someone like Hiroki Aiba/Shinken Blue would hardly be considered handsome by our standards, but he has a huge fangirl following in Japan.

I'm trying to articulate the Japanese view as well as I understand it. I mean, Yudai Chiba has a rabid fangirl following in Japan, that's a clear case of ikemen casting even though I don't find him attractive. Ryoma Baba to my understanding has no significant following at all, gay kiss scene or not. It could exist and I just haven't seen any evidence of it yet, of course.

I get that, but in Go-Busters' case, Ryuuji being an older brother is such a vital part of...well, prety much everything regarding his and the other characters: their interactions, backgrounds, etc that it would be kind of sad if the whole series was shaped this way just because Takebe insisted on using Ryoma Baba.

I don't see how? This sort of thing happens all the time in tokusatsu writing, and it's usually to the show's benefit. Godai had 2000 skills because Odagiri was multitalented, Eiji was a kindly doofus because Takebe wanted to use Watanabe, etc.

I liked him when he wasn't a god

That movie was part of a popular BL film series which in turn was an adaptation of a popular BL manga. It's probably more intended for the usual yaoi fans rather than ordinary mothers who might be watching Sentai at home.

A lot of Baba's career history is made up of things that are usually done by younger idols just starting out: Tenimyu, BL, and now Sentai

You can still have a character of that type without making them too much older - like ShinkenPink being the "mature older sister" figure of the team or MagiBlue and Green being the substitute "parents."

Before the show started there was a leaked casting directive asking for girls 14-23 and guys 16-25 (I'd find it but would have to wade through a ton of rumour posts from last year) so it seems they didn't decide from the off that Blue Buster would be older. But then there were no character breakdowns on the sheet, just a general request for idol actors of a certain age; so at some point that must have changed for Baba to be seen for the role

I can't see Toei turning on Kobayashi after this, and if they do it's as stupid and short-sighted a move as their alienation of Takatera. The person I'd really expect to see take the fall for Go-Busters's failure is Takebe. Toei hyped her to the moon and back before Go-Busters aired, not Kobayashi. I'd be fairly surprised if they used her again after this embarrassment.

Even in Rider? But then she was also responsible for OOO, which started the ratings drop that led us to Fourze ...

shinkenchange!starninger!
i think its simple it's the lack of gimmicks, kids watch for something exciting like a new card/ key, whatever it is, it's what brought more viewers like the new keys in gokaiger when there wasnt any more keys, it tanked, kids got bored and turned it off,

with gobusters its the same, there's no new stuff its making it tank like lack of zords, they are expecting new zords every mouth but there isnt kids turn it off.

i think with bandai in gokaiger they should have released those latest key sets when they were still airing, it may have brought some more viewers, maybe not, but it was something new.

like after fourze episode 32 with the cosmic switch, the ratings tanks because there was no new switches accept for the movie.

Soooo...Enter wanting to bring his evil, artificial intelligence master into the real world, and the Gobusters wanting to rescue their parents and loved ones from Cyberspace isn't a clear goal?

it's not Enter he's talking about, but it's interesting that you word it that way, because you forgot Messiah is the ACTUAL main villain, not Enter. What is HIS goal? yeah, take of the world, but WHY?!?! he's never had any speech about how machines are better than humans, no origin story about how he came to be, nothing. Messiah just showed up as a virus and was is somehow evil. there's no clear goal of why he wants to take over, he just does and then rants and yells at Enter for failing. It's no wonder either, cause I'm sure Enter doesn't even know what Messiah actually wants to do