It's so easy when you're evil
By the end of this thread, every season is going to be counted twice.

Just start with Gokaiger and work your way down.

But that's good, it helps me seeing which series pop up from several people :thumbs:

For those people wondering, I've now officially started watching Gingaman and Magiranger, alternating between the two now and then whenever the mood strikes me.

Gingaman's first few episodes are fairly solid, with good character development for both the heroes and the (awesome) villains sprinkled over some neat episode-plots. The fact that no mecha have shown up yet was surprising, but not a detriment I don't think.

Having only seen the first episode of Magiranger so far, I'm intrigued to see how it goes, though the first episode felt pretty rushed. Still, I loved the appearance of the villains, and the Magirangers seem to have good chemistry between each other. We'll see how it goes!

So, thanks to everyone who's suggested shows so far, your suggestions are very much appreciated.

Liveman, Jetman and Dairanger are must-sees.

For others that aren't yet fully subbed, I recommend virtually any show from Changeman to Gaoranger, except Zyuranger (not a terrible show, but there are better ones for a first-time viewer). Carranger is parodical like Akibaranger, so one could go with that. I'm not sure if Kakuranger is a great first show, given how weird it can get...

It's so easy when you're evil
[...] except Zyuranger (not a terrible show, but there are better ones for a first-time viewer) [...] I'm not sure if Kakuranger is a great first show, given how weird it can get...

Care to elaborate on this? I'm curious about why these shows and others (such as Dairanger, which you mentioned, and someone else said could be odd for people new to the franchise) are poor places to start for beginners.

Zyuranger, Dairanger and especially Kakuranger were what I would call "experimental" shows.
Before them, despite having diffrent power sources, most of the Sentai shows were mostly military or sci-fi themed and quite simple. Some were more dramatic than others (Jetman, Liveman etc.) but they had a pretty straightforward good vs bad thing going on.

With Zyuranger, things started to change, and it always seemed like the writers were trying to make social commentaries for children.
Zyuranger was mostly about children having personal problems with themselves or with their families, and the villains of the show were mostly targeting kids basically because they hated them.
So pretty much every episode was like this: "Kid of the week has a problem. Kid of the week gets involved with the villains latest scheme. Zyuranger comes to the rescue"

There was the Burai/Dragon Ranger arc, which added a little more to the show, but you have to sit through a lot of filler to get to that point.

The weirdness in Zyuranger often came with the villains schemes. Some of them were interesting, but others were extremely weird.
Examples of the villains plans in Zyuranger were:

Imprisoning children in trees that are to be cut down to make way for a golf course.
Cupid-baseballs that makes people fall in love with the first thing they see.
Vampire-ish flowers.

You get the idea :laugh:

Dairanger is a bit easier to swallow, but you have to be a bit stubborn and get yourself through the first few episodes.
Again, you have the weirdness of Zyuranger with a lot of below-the-belt humor added, and it is one of the shows were the writers said "action first, story later", which means that in the first episode you are presented with a bunch of random people you have no idea who are, and suddenly these people know how to transform into super heroes and fight. (After being chased by grunts on bicycles)
This can seem very strange to a person who has been used to Rider shows, were the main characters get a lot of focus in the first episodes.

But Dairanger IS a good show. No doubt about it.
Its just hard to get into if you are not used to the style.

Kakuranger took the full step into insanity by adding so much humor that it sometimes felt like a parody. You suddenly had cartoon or comic book effects during the fights and a narrator who would often break the fourth wall.
This got toned down a bit in the second half of the show, but again we are talking about the first impressions that these shows will give you.

The new Tendou Souji
Personally, I'd rather someone watch villains like Junior or Daimaoh anyday than the whole of Infershia but, that's just me.

So pretty much every episode was like this: "Kid of the week has a problem. Kid of the week gets involved with the villains latest scheme. Zyuranger comes to the rescue"

This is true.

with a lot of below-the-belt humor added,

:rimshot:

Lurker
With Zyuranger, things started to change, and it always seemed like the writers were trying to make social commentaries for children.
Zyuranger was mostly about children having personal problems with themselves or with their families, and the villains of the show were mostly targeting kids basically because they hated them.
So pretty much every episode was like this: "Kid of the week has a problem. Kid of the week gets involved with the villains latest scheme. Zyuranger comes to the rescue."

And that was one of the problems that I have with Zyuranger. Most of the episodes were focused on the "kid of the week syndrome," & most of the character development from the main heroes (save for about, Geki & Burai) suffered as a result.

Because my gateway to sentai was through power rangers, I started with Zyuranger first so I have that frame of reference. But I say in context to Akibaranger, I strongly recommend the featured referenced shows like Jetman and/or Dekaranger.

I live not too far from Akihabara so Akibaranger was a fun show to me.

always henshining'
For those people wondering, I've now officially started watching Gingaman and Magiranger, alternating between the two now and then whenever the mood strikes me.

i say Gingaman is a very good starting point
its a well done and traditional 90s series with a bit of a 80s feeling so youre kind of getting the best of both eras.

D

Dr Kain

I completely across with your Scissors, and that is exactly why I think those are three of the best Sentai series period. Sure, ZyuRanger is the weakest of the three, and would be closer to #10 of my top 10 favorite series, but Dai is by far my favorite and nothing has ever come close to topping it in my eyes. Kaku is my second favorite but it does take a bit of getting used to. The thing I love about its beginning is how opposite it is to Dai. With Dai, as you said, four of the characters are already rangers, so you only see red becoming a ranger for the first time. In Kaku, only Tsuruhime knew what was going on, so you got to see the rangers take their roles spread out over the first three episodes. However, Kaku also has a lot of originality into it to set it apart from its brothers.

Minato Ascending
I'm not too interested in watching Zyuranger, particularly with their "kid of the week" format, but I'd like to see Kakuranger. However, I still can't find a good sub for it, so in the meantime I'll just watch other sentai series.