So I've Decided To Watch Transformers. The Original. For The First Time...

So yeah, I'm obviously not a child of the 80s, so I grew up with Beast Wars, not the original Transformers, I know enough about the show to be dangerous, but I've never had the notion to go back and watch the old cartoons. I just didnt really care a whole lot.

I will say that I've ALWAYS been a big fan of the toys, regardless of what form they take, beasts or cars, but for some reason (maybe because I hate mecha anime, I dunno) I could just never get into any of the other cartoons, Beast Wars and Beast Machines excluded.

So now I've decided to start with the original and push through to Prime. I know thats a LOT of material to cover, but I think I'm gonna enjoy most of it...well some of it...oh god what am I getting myself into...

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted with my thoughts as I watch. This should be interesting.

How much of the 80's show are you watching? All the American stuff through the 4th "season" or through the Japanese stuff like Headmasters & Masterforce??

I havent decided if I'll watch the japanese stuff yet. Probably not right now, maybe later.

So I've started the first season, I'm about 5 or 6 episodes in and I gotta say I'm enjoying it. There are some weird inconsistencies and it feels like the writers and animators pull **** out of their asses at least once an episode, but honestly thats almost half the fun.

Its pretty well written for what it is though. I'm enjoying it.

Last edited:
like pretty much all 1980s cartoons, transformers was meant to sell toys. so story consistency didnt mean much to them.

Good luck watching that behemoth. I've seen a large number of episodes, mostly out of context or build up. But from what I've seen, G1 doesn't exactly age well. No offense to G1 fans.

I underwent a project. Took me all summer to do it, but I finally saw every episode of Star Trek TNG. I may go back and watch all of the Original Star Trek some day, but for now, I need a break.

Lurker
Good luck watching that behemoth. I've seen a large number of episodes, mostly out of context or build up. But from what I've seen, G1 doesn't exactly age well. No offense to G1 fans.

I'm gonna relish the day people start saying that about cartoons the 'net deem too sacred to criticise.

G1 is fine. It still entertains the dickens out of kids if you show 'em it, and that's what matters most. I'll gladly take it over the overrated Transformers Prime anyday of the week.

like pretty much all 1980s cartoons, transformers was meant to sell toys. so story consistency didnt mean much to them.

Story consistency was fairly tight on G1 when the writers kept their eye on the ball some of the time. Don't sell the show short, it was one of the first "thinking man's commercials"

Last edited:
Wel, I am not denying it told a quality story. The 1986 movie is one of my top favorite animated movies of all time. But the studio and Peter Cullen never thought much of an icon Prime was until he died in the movie and the complaints they got. To the studio, the movie was a tool of getting ride of the old toys (killing off Prime, Ironhide, Wheeljack, Smokescreen, etc) and putting in the new ones such as Hot Rod and Galvatron. But to me, the movie had a wonderful story, great action, and a killer soundtrack.

Some aspects of Transformers may be outdated, but is still fun.

So I just finished Season 1. Here are my Pros and Cons.

PROS

*The characters are incredibly fun and varied. I really enjoyed each one, and even the ones that dont show up all the time are good.

*The story is really good. Though i dont like how they add random character with no explanation (ill get to that more in a bit) but i do really love how the episodes bleed into the other. Its not at all episodic, the changes made are referenced episode to episode.

CONS

*The characters just come out of nowhere. Yeah Spike and Sparkplug are given a somewhat reason, but where did this Chip kid come from? Why is this doctor all of a sudden working for Megatron? It just raises too many questions.

*The errors. Just. So many errors. I can't even begin to count them. I have no problem with coloring issues (Though I find it hilarious when Starscream starts talking to himself) but the story errors are just really annoying. Like how Skyfire was originally friends with Starscream, but neither of them were Decepticons, then you find out later with the insecticons that robots are either Decepticons or Autobots and regardless if they hate each other, decepticons and, presumably Autobots, will always end up working together. That makes no sense for obvious reasons

Anyway, overall I really enjoyed it. It was a good bit of fun. Now bring on Season 2.

CRETINS! ALL OF THEM!
Meh, most of the 'characters' in G1 are basically funny voices -.-