Heroes are forever
I call it Rider Makeover.
Let's look at the most distinctive one: Hongo Takeshi.

As the series started he looked like an ace student. Shorter hair than we're used to seeing him with and very formal clothes.
[HIDE]
ht.jpg

Hongo-Takeshi2.jpg
[/HIDE]

When he comes back during the 40's he's still using this outfit, although his hairstyle is now much longer and wilder.
When he comes back full-time he starts wearing different outfits, his signature ones seem to be these:

[HIDE]
Hongo-TakeshiHiroshi-Fujioka.jpg
[/HIDE]
Awesome. Like the Minami Kotaro case mentioned, he looks like a total badass when fighting, and when doing the Henshin. This is also formal enough that I can picture him giving a lecture about Chemistry.

[HIDE]
Kamen+Rider+1+(transfor).jpg
[/HIDE]
Personally, I found this one a bit weird. I do like it, though. It was a bit funny to see it get dirty.

My favorite, one that just screams Badass, and is the one I always picture him with (the Genealogy of Justice videogame agrees with me):
[HIDE]tumblr_lefp6mdA8e1qg2q28o1_500.jpg[/HIDE]
He wore these during the Gel-Shocker days the most, and well... what can I say? They fit him perfectly. If I ever cosplay as Hongo Takeshi, this is what I would wear.

The greatest thing about all his outfits is that they are clothes a biker would wear. This holds true for many other Riders from the 70's... and the 80's too actually.

Kotaro's look was pretty much "normal" back then.
Fingerless gloves were popular with quite a variety of 80s genres, and were used in not only most tokusatsu shows, but also other shows that were geared towards the japanese youth.
His jacket was also a typical "members only jacket" which were popular pretty much everywhere back then.

I think one of the most distinctive ones was Shigeru (Stronger)
Back then, being a Rider was not exactly something to be happy about. So it was very cool to have Shigeru who took the "I'm a super hero, *****!" to the extreme with his style.
He looked like a badass hero, even when he was not transformed.
[HIDE]StrongerShigeru2.jpg[/HIDE]