Chief HJU News Editor
It's also the reason why Go-Busters got so much hype before it had even begun, because a lot of people were disappointed with Gokaiger by that stage and thought that Go-Busters might finally give them the "grown-up" show they were looking for.

There weren't any illusions that it would be a mature series, it was being presented as a throw back to much earlier Sentai teams being government agents and a fresh break away from Sentai-verse. It's been a bit different, but it's fairly mundane so far.

What makes anyone think it's going to be "dark?"

It's a magical themed series where the rider has a long black cloak, gothic music, the whole ritual origins and his villains are basically demons. It's a fair assessment to say it's got a 'darker' tone than the previous few years. Whether or not it'll stick with it is a different story(Kiva says hi).

I liked him when he wasn't a god
There weren't any illusions that it would be a mature series, it was being presented as a throw back to much earlier Sentai teams being government agents and a fresh break away from Sentai-verse. It's been a bit different, but it's fairly mundane so far.

There was all the usual talk about wanting a more "serious" show etc. etc. Which was also the appeal of it being a throwback to earlier series, since people consider them more grown-up and better written than the last few years' worth of Sentai

It's a magical themed series where the rider has a long black cloak, the whole ritual and his villains are basically demons. It's a fair assessment to say it's got a 'darker' tone.

And? That's still not much different than, say, early OOO, where the Greeed are basically demons and we saw even in the first trailer that they had killed people and burned their motorbikes!

I try not to fuss about this, but it just feels like a massive sense of entitlement to keep demanding that what is supposed to be a fun children's show cater to adult tastes. The same reason why "Bronies" get such a bad name

Heroes are forever
Not really, no. I've come across a few people who hate every KR series that's aired since Decade. Which to be quite honest is putting me off Wizard. It might turn out to be a good show, but it's already shockingly overhyped. It seems that everyone expects it to be like Kuuga and Agito, and, well, I don't think that's going to happen.
Every year. It's the same routine. The excitement of a new show inevitably makes it overhyped. People have their expectations, and sometimes when it doesn't happen the way they envisioned they end up hating the series. This is one of the reasons why recent series are getting a lot of hate, as years go by, it mellows down a bit.

Quite why people feel entitled to demand that a children's show be made to satisfy them is another matter I'm not getting into.
Because there are other ''children's shows'' that do it, I don't want to namedrop in fear of some fans attacking me. And Kamen Rider has actually done it before.
That's why I keep saying this series is for all audiences, not just children. There's something for everyone.

I just - really want to know why people are so desperate for Kamen Rider to be "dark." I honestly don't get it.
Probably because it's been like this before, and it hasn't been like that for a while, at least not by the standards most people have.

It's not supposed to be a serious, intriguing drama.
Oh, but it is. They have a toy catalog to follow but they do write great things to think about.

The new Tendou Souji
Kamen Rider Black was a Rider who was decked out all in well... black and he still had an episode with an evil pop star. I wouldn't take face value as a measure for anything.

Every year. It's the same routine. The excitement of a new show inevitably makes it overhyped. People have their expectations, and sometimes when it doesn't happen the way they envisioned they end up hating the series. This is one of the reasons why recent series are getting a lot of hate, as years go by, it mellows down a bit.

It's taken three years for Decade and people still hate it ...

Because there are other ''children's shows'' that do it, I don't want to namedrop in fear of some fans attacking me. And Kamen Rider has actually done it before.
That's why I keep saying this series is for all audiences, not just children. There's something for everyone.

That doesn't mean that Toei is obliged to write to please older fans.

Probably because it's been like this before, and it hasn't been like that for a while, at least not by the standards most people have.

Why does it need to be at all? It's perfectly do-able (is that even a word?) for a show to be great and not be "dark" or serious.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon of people who think "dark" as a term is seriously abused/misused in context of Kamen Rider

Oh, but it is. They have a toy catalog to follow but they do write great things to think about.

Such as what?

On a totally unrelated note, a tiny part of me still hopes we'll get to see the rings used as knuckledusters, not just for magic. There is no point in wearing a great ****-off ring on each finger if you never punch anyone with them :(

Kamen Rider Black was a Rider who was decked out all in well... black and he still had an episode with an evil pop star. I wouldn't take face value as a measure for anything.

If we have to have an evil pop star in this series, please don't let Inoue write that arc ...

Chief HJU News Editor
And? That's still not much different than, say, early OOO, where the Greeed are basically demons and we saw even in the first trailer that they had killed people and burned their motorbikes!

They weren't really demons though, more anicent monsters returning back after a thousand year slumber. The villains in this have connotations of being beings of pure evil, quite a big difference. There could be a goofy one, but we haven't seen it as yet.

I try not to fuss about this, but it just feels like a massive sense of entitlement to keep demanding that what is supposed to be a fun children's show cater to adult tastes.

I get this argument if we were talking a show like Pokemon or some other kids show, but it does work with Sentai and Rider, these shows have a strong history of more mature storytelling compared to western media. Characters being regularly killed off is something that was the norm up until a few years ago. Hell, Double managed to be both a show for kids and older fans because it managed to find a good balance between new and old Rider shows.

There's nothing wrong with wanting it, especially when the more tamer shows in the past few years pale in comparison in overall quality to ones that came before it.

I do really like OOO & Fourze by the way.

Aronbafon
It could also be because people want the seperation between Rider and Sentai to be broader once again.

And really, if you watch both Rider and Sentai you'd like one of them to be just a bit darker or something else that makes it stand out other than the usual (Giant Robots and a team vs. the Rider and his supporting cast)

They weren't really demons though, more anicent monsters returning back after a thousand year slumber. The villains in this have connotations of being beings of pure evil, quite a big difference. There could be a goofy one, but we haven't seen it as yet.

Just for lulz, I re-watched a couple of OOO trailers, and although they correctly gave the impression of a colourful show, they did make it look a whole lot more srs bsness than it actually was ...

I get this argument if we were talking a show like Pokemon or some other kids show, but it does work with Sentai and Rider, these shows have a strong history of more mature storytelling compared to western media. Characters being regularly killed off is something that was the norm up until a few years ago. Hell, Double managed to be both a show for kids and older fans because it managed to find a good balance between new and old Rider shows.

Shows get praised if they're considered to be bringing in new elements, on the grounds that franchises need to "evolve" if they are to survive. So why is it somehow not acceptable for them to develop away from the style of older series and in the direction of something aimed at a much younger audience?

There's nothing wrong with wanting it, especially when the more tamer shows in the past few years pale in comparison in overall quality to ones that came before it.

Isn't this sort of a circular argument? If you (generic you) think "darker" = better, of course you're going to feel that newer series have declined in quality

I should've seen this coming, touche. :laugh:

We can't pussyfoot around this any longer. We need to brace ourselves for the possibility of Inoue coming back to Rider. He could even write something for Wizard.

Yes, the Jetman episode of Gokaiger was good, but is it really enough to compensate for his recent body of work?

I think Double is perfect example of a show that could do both comedy and drama pretty well. It's probably one of the reasons it did so well on TV. It still managed to tell a well told Detective style story.

When people say they want a "Dark" show I think they mean a show like Blade. A show with high stakes and drama but could be lighthearted.