Banned
But we should respect her & the OP's wishes.

Sentai endings are about the Journey as well as the finale. To say "don't talk about so and so series" just defeats the purpose of the thread IMO. I mean if you are going to use that logic, then make a single thread for each sentai.

Would like to change his avatar
I dunno. You make the Jetman novels sound a lot like Gundam novels, some of which I've actually gotten to read in translation. Nobody takes those things seriously, because they're so loaded with mindless fanservice. The Gundam novels mostly exist to pander to superfans of the original show who want to see more sexual and/or violent versions of the original characters/events, or ideas discarded from production for various reasons.

If Inoue wrote the novels after the show, when Gai was firmly established as the most popular character, then I'd suspect he was just responding to that. Playing up things fans like, even to the point of absurdity, is the entire point of that type of spinoff novel. I seriously doubt the novels reflect some Platonic ideal of the Jetman story in Inoue's head before Suzuki and Amemiya "diluted" it.

Hopefully our debate in this thread will die down soon (as it seems to perturb other posters...although any Gai fans reading must now yield to me the title of Number One Gai Fan), but I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's accurate to characterize the Jetman novels as "fan service" since it's not known whether Inoue wrote them before or after the series, regardless of when they were actually published.

*explosion*
So will we ever actually get to see the Gokaigers go to the Zangyanck home planet?

So will we ever actually get to see the Gokaigers go to the Zangyanck home planet?

I kinda wonder if that was originally supposed to be a lead in for a post-series straight to DVD thing like Shinkenger and Goseiger got...

... And then they decided to do Super Hero War instead and... yeah.

Nice post!!
Again: if you make a thread about Sentai endings, people are going to argue about Jetman in it. I'm not going to mod anyone for talking about Jetman in this thread.

I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's accurate to characterize the Jetman novels as "fan service" since it's not known whether Inoue wrote them before or after the series, regardless of when they were actually published.

It's really, really unlikely that novels published after the series were written before the series was made. It's also really, really unlikely that more than, say, one chapter and a treatment describing the rest of the series was written before the publisher had secured the licensing agreement and finished out a commission contract.

Commercial writers generally don't write anything of substantial length before they've gotten their agent to find a publisher, to avoid wasting time on work they can't sell. Inoue was active in television writing for about ten years prior to Jetman, and probably would've been kept plenty busy churning out pitches and episode scripts.

Finally, the particulars of the Jetman novels sound way too much like typical fanservice novel material, down to the trilogy format and the content, for me to find it terribly likely they weren't written specifically to be that sort of product. If Inoue had written them in his spare time, then surely you'd be describing something less generic to me.

I kinda wonder if that was originally supposed to be a lead in for a post-series straight to DVD thing like Shinkenger and Goseiger got...

... And then they decided to do Super Hero War instead and... yeah.

I don't think we were ever really meant to see the Gokaigers fight the remaining Zangyack. The outcome of that battle isn't in doubt in any way, it's clearly just mopping up remains. The point of Gokaiger's ending is that the team goes from expecting a magic cure-all to solve their problems, to being willing to solve their problems through their own effort.

If we did get a Gokaiger Returns sort of thing, it probably would've just been character fanservice with maybe a couple of cameos. I'm not sure Super Hero Taisen would be the reason why we didn't, since that was a totally different production team. I wonder if Toei just decided that the format wasn't sustainable for shows that weren't Shinkenger.

Lurker
Again: if you make a thread about Sentai endings, people are going to argue about Jetman in it. I'm not going to mod anyone for talking about Jetman in this thread.

I don't think that that anyone expected to have his/her thread about favorite sentai endings turn into a debate about Gai, etc. So it went to hell as a result.

If we did get a Gokaiger Returns sort of thing, it probably would've just been character fanservice with maybe a couple of cameos. I'm not sure Super Hero Taisen would be the reason why we didn't, since that was a totally different production team. I wonder if Toei just decided that the format wasn't sustainable for shows that weren't Shinkenger.

I think that the reason why we didn't see something like "Gokaiger Returns" was because the "Goseiger Returns" movie wasn't exactly a "huge hit" in DVD sales, etc. like "Shinkenger Returns" was.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I think that the reason why we didn't see something like "Gokaiger Returns" was because the "Goseiger Returns" movie wasn't exactly a "huge hit" in DVD sales, etc. like "Shinkenger Returns" was.

That and the low ratings of Gokaiger/low DVD sales of the series itself. OOO didn't get a V-Cinema release either so I guess they decided it wasn't going to be sustainable while the ratings and DVD sales aren't high enough

Again, if you guys want to talk about Jetman, fine. I don't mind topic drifts. If I want the thread to go back on topic, then I wll talk about other Sentai endings.