perhpas; but in my opinion, why not discuss as much Flashman's ending, with the heroes who are not allowed to have a happy ending because they can't stay on Earth and look for their families (or reunite with them, in one case)? That ending is much more powerful, very unique as well, and at least as much worthy of discussion as Gai's out of nowhere death

Jetman has the benefit of a fresh and (relatively speaking) heavily shilled sub job being recently completed. More people would have it on their minds and would be able to engage with it in general.

I think the closest Flashman has is a partial sub of key episodes but I wanna say the group that did them mostly distributed through MegaUpload and the like. When those went down a lot of people lost access to being able to see those episodes and thus form more solid opinions on them than they would with raws.

So in the end, not many people can really talk about Flashman both due to it not having really been directly in the fandom eye for a whole combined with the lack of availability of the source material

I think that's a huge misreading of that scene. For everyone being quick to go to the "It's just a kids show!" excuse, why does everyone read the scene that way, why would that be in a kids show? Gai's not being threatening in that scene, he's being over-the-top and melodramatic, and Kaori actually laughs at the way he's wording his little speech. It's awkward for her, but there's no danger, and the others probably knew that...it was just dickish of Gai to pick her up and haul her away like that, but Inoue probably thinks that was very macho and epic.

Gai's a thug, but he's not some evil thug from a shitty Takashi Miike movie. He's a good guy underneath, he has a heart, and he has some honor.
I think Jetman was before sentai was exclusively for kids. There was more stuff back then that was aimed to go straight over kids heads and reach the adults. I think the tone of the scene fits my interpretation, especially as the scenes before that makle it ambiguous whether Gai really wants Kaori or if she's just a prize in his dominance battle with Ryu, and the intensity and menace you could feel from Gai. Not to mention that Raita immediately says he hopes Gai isn't doing "anything weird" with her in an extremely worried tone of voice.
Jetman has the benefit of a fresh and (relatively speaking) heavily shilled sub job being recently completed. More people would have it on their minds and would be able to engage with it in general.

I think the closest Flashman has is a partial sub of key episodes but I wanna say the group that did them mostly distributed through MegaUpload and the like. When those went down a lot of people lost access to being able to see those episodes and thus form more solid opinions on them than they would with raws.

So in the end, not many people can really talk about Flashman both due to it not having really been directly in the fandom eye for a whole combined with the lack of availability of the source material
Agreed. Aside from the two weekly subbers, GUIS is probably the most high profile sub group at the moment. The fact that Jetman has always had such a big reputation, that GUIS delvered an episode daily, then revealed that it was almost the last project they ever did, all cranked up the interest. What was the last sentai to be fully subbed before that? Akibaranger? Or GaoSoul's Sun Vulcan sub? Well the former wasn't exactly a "standard" sentai ending, and the end of Sun Vulcan didn't get as much attention somehow. So it's just the most prominent in people's minds. I'm sure if this had been asked just after Gokaiger ended we'd all be rambling about various Gokaiger-related things.

Jetman's ending was discussed much before GUIS's subs; in fact, I think that most non Japanese fans have discovered Jetman thanks to the CsCentral subs.

Guys, topic drifting is okay you know. For those of you who are complaining that this is becoming the "The Reasons Why Gai Yuki Sucks Thread!". This is coming from the guy who made this thread.

I think Jetman was before sentai was exclusively for kids. There was more stuff back then that was aimed to go straight over kids heads and reach the adults. I think the tone of the scene fits my interpretation, especially as the scenes before that makle it ambiguous whether Gai really wants Kaori or if she's just a prize in his dominance battle with Ryu, and the intensity and menace you could feel from Gai. Not to mention that Raita immediately says he hopes Gai isn't doing "anything weird" with her in an extremely worried tone of voice.

To be honest, even during the era of sentai "exclusively for kids", there was still stuff that was aimed to reach adults; for example, some classical music allusions in Abaranger (and I'm not even talking about the Mikoto/Rijewel weirdness ), mythology allusions in Magiranger, movie parodies in Dekaranger ; and Jetman was a sentai series that was made in the midst of very kid friendly sentai (Fiveman and Zyuranger). And I'm sure a lot of other post -Timeranger series have elements that reach adults but go straight over kids.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
On the subject of why Jetman's ending is more heavily discussed than that of, say, Flashman - I think it's just gained that aura of "cool". It's got Gai Yuki, the supposed badass hero who drinks and smokes and womanizes. It's got all that romance and character drama stuff that a lot of people like. It has a reputation for being different than anything Sentai had done before it. Even before the recently completed stuff a lot of people were watching it raw and/or with CSCentral subs.

A lot of sentai series have done new stuff before Jetman; Changeman introduced sympathetic villains and a rich alien world ; Flashman introduced five heroes having a common tragic background; Liveman, with the heroes fighting former friends was bringing new stuff as well; Turboranger brought the first high school sentai team; and Fiveman the first sibling team; so Jetman isn't the first series bringing stuff not being done in sentai before.
Character drama: Flashman, Liveman, and in a way Changeman are filled with it; Romance? Here are Maskman and Turboranger (the Yamimaru/Kirika stuff).
Er; don't get me wrong; I'm a Jetman fan, as my user name shows :laugh:

I liked him when he wasn't a god
A lot of sentai series have done new stuff before Jetman; Changeman introduced sympathetic villains and a rich alien world ; Flashman introduced five heroes having a common tragic background; Liveman, with the heroes fighting former friends was bringing new stuff as well; Turboranger brought the first high school sentai team; and Fiveman the first sibling team; so Jetman isn't the first series bringing stuff not being done in sentai before.
Character drama: Flashman, Liveman, and in a way Changeman are filled with it; Romance? Here are Maskman and Turboranger (the Yamimaru/Kirika stuff).
Er; don't get me wrong; I'm a Jetman fan, as my user name shows :laugh:

It's not the first to introduce new stuff, no. It's just gained this reputation as a cool, innovative, important series (which in turn is why it frequently appears on "overrated" lists from people who don't think it was all it's cracked up to be)

Super Moderator
Well, really I think a superhero story shouldn't be just for adults or just for kids and good Sentai show can achieve this balance well. Even shows that may lean a little more one way or the other.