Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked him when he wasn't a god
She could always make it that he is Yoko's brother AND her father.
It's one way to jack up the soap-opera dramatics, Incest!

Next thing we know Masato will be brewing his own moonshine and lynching Communists in the front garden ...

Was anything specifically said about him being her brother?

Banned
Next thing we know Masato will be brewing his own moonshine and lynching Communists in the front garden ...

Was anything specifically said about him being her brother?

All i now is that after a talk with him, she starts calling him "Nii-san" when she has just called him "Masato-san" before.

The Meteor has landed
I think in today's episode, there was a flashback with Yoko's mom saying something along the lines of "You must protect her for me" or something of the like to Masato.

All i now is that after a talk with him, she starts calling him "Nii-san" when she has just called him "Masato-san" before.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's her brother, just that she feels close enough to him to use it (as she does with Ryuuji.) I really think it much more likely he is her father, especially given that Yasuko "Soap Opera" Kobayashi is writing this.

I wonder why Yoko doesn't call Hiromu nii-san though?

Nice post!!
I think Hiromu would be too close to her own age for a "brother" honorific, if he's an unrelated male. If she used it with anyone, it would be Ryuuji, but she's familiar enough with him that I think she just refers to him by name. Also, Yoko is a bit rude and her quickness to use personal names is probably meant to reflect this.

As for the family relationships thing...

[HIDE]The episode does not state that Jin is Yoko's brother. Instead, it implies that Jin is her father, but doesn't come right out and say it 'cause of Sunday morning content standards. Yoko's use of nii-san is probably meant to be a bit ironic; if you're a girl Yoko's age, that is a polite way of referring to a man Jin's age who isn't related to you.[/HIDE]

Mad Skillz
If that turns out to be true, I think I would love this show so much more. That's actually a pretty cool twist, and one I've not thought they would pull.q

If that turns out to be true, I think I would love this show so much more. That's actually a pretty cool twist, and one I've not thought they would pull.q

How is it cool? It's stupid soap-opera theatrics. It's not something the show "needs" or that would add anything to either character.

[HIDE]It's as ridiculous as the Den-O set-up and makes Masato look like a sleazebag to boot. Hope he can pay Yoko 17 years' worth of child support ...[/HIDE]

Last edited:
Mad Skillz
Well it's an interesting twist, one I'm surprised I hadn't even thought of before. I guess it can look stupid depending on how it's played out, but I think it's got the potential to add a really cool layer to the story. You have to expect something dramatic and unexpected with a Kobayashi show, and I think it's the sort of thing that could really spice up the show a little later on during lull periods.

By "dramatic and unexpected" do you mean "ridiculous, contrived, melodramatic, and more appropriate to a corny soap opera than a children's action show?" Because the latter is what Kobayashi delivers.

This particular strand could very well turn out to be one of the stupidest things she's ever written - right up there with the Airi and Yuuto nonsense.

[HIDE]I would take Enter as Yoko's father over this; at least it might get her to learn some French ...[/HIDE]

Status
Not open for further replies.