Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked him when he wasn't a god
Nai and Mea add nothing to Magiranger save for fanservice. They are just giggling, brainless idiots who were completely unnecessary since we already had a "stupid girl" character in Houka.

I'd say the worst villains in Sentai are the Warstar and Yuumajuu, much as I love Goseiger ...

Some kind of Beast mode
I'll never understand the dislike for the Warstar. Idk, maybe I need to re-watch the beginning of Goseiger.

I know the gang rarely stepped foot on earth, but Burajira always did work, when Dereputa came out to play drama heightened intensely, and when ugly moth guy finally set foot on Earth he gave the Goseiger's hell.

The beginning and end of their arc was good, it just dragged somewhat in the middle. Maybe I should rewatch too, after all it was only the first arc of the show ...

Gokaiger had the worst villains in Sentai history (Basco not counted there) and was still well liked from what I heard. Yeah, great villains help, but not a 'be all, end all'. That said Enter, Basco, Rio, Mele, and the Magirangers' villains (note how I don't specify which ones. Yeah, they all rock :castlerock:) were great villains and added to their series just as much as the Rangers.

I think villains are very important to any story and I don't think the fact all of the best Sentai seasons have had very strong villains is a coincidence. You can argue that Rio and Mele took up far too much of Gekiranger, but having three dimensional villains for the heroes to struggle against really helps. I don't think Goseiger would be as despised as it is amongst the community, if they'd introduced the more interesting bad guys a lot sooner than they did.

Gokaiger is a bit of an exception, since none of the characters really mattered in that show. It was fan service for the sake of fan service.

In Justice, We Trust!
Gokaiger had the worst villains in Sentai history (Basco not counted there) and was still well liked from what I heard.

The worst part about it comes from the fact that they kept over hyping the Zangyaku as this powerful evil force, and that we should be worried about what they do, yet all of that is taken away the moment you see them act like bumbling fools.

Anyways, I'm liking Beet and stag quite a bit. The dynamic between the two is giving me flashbacks to Yuuto and Deneb.

You can argue that Rio and Mele took up far too much of Gekiranger, but having three dimensional villains for the heroes to struggle against really helps.

That would not be a particularly accurate argument since they are the main villains and most interesting characters in that particular series.

That would not be a particularly accurate argument since they are the main villains and most interesting characters in that particular series.

There is nothing remotely interesting about them. Mele alternates between a shrieking, useless fangirl crawling in the dirt after "Rio-sama", and a little girl playing at being tough. Rio is a glorified emo-kid who'd be more at home in a branch of Hot Topic. Long is the most interesting character and, as much as I love him, that's a bad thing. Sentai is supposed to be about its heroes, not its villains.

I don't think that better villains would have made Goseiger a popular series, either. It would be treated as Gokaiger is being treated now - constantly bashed on because everyone thinks they could have written the show better.

I'll never understand the dislike for the Warstar. Idk, maybe I need to re-watch the beginning of Goseiger.

I know the gang rarely stepped foot on earth, but Burajira always did work, when Dereputa came out to play drama heightened intensely, and when ugly moth guy finally set foot on Earth he gave the Goseiger's hell.

The problem with Warstar was that while they had potential, they felt like wasted potential. For 10 or 11 of their 16 episodes, they virtually did nothing. Then Dereputa's defeat felt anti-climatic because it was so early. Mons Drake made Goseiger interesting for a while when he got more desperate. The real problem with the Goseiger villains is that the writers didn't handle the three series of villains real well, particularly transitions from one to another. Gaoranger and especially Magiranger handled this concept much better.

Now, about Go-Busters. Episodes 15 and 16 provided an interesting twist. Magiyellow's actor has improved from his role in Magiranger. I think he fits the character of Jin more than he fit the character of Tsubasa. Though I was hoping he would be an independent agent, not really on Vaglass or the Go-Busters side, that would have been interesting. Still, his introduction arc was pretty good.

Now, about Go-Busters. Episodes 15 and 16 provided an interesting twist. Magiyellow's actor has improved from his role in Magiranger. I think he fits the character of Jin more than he fit the character of Tsubasa. Though I was hoping he would be an independent agent, not really on Vaglass or the Go-Busters side, that would have been interesting. Still, his introduction arc was pretty good.

Well, bear in mind he's had 8 years for his acting to improve ...

Masato and J seem to be pretty much their own unit with their own agenda. They won't detract from that for the Busters' sake, but ultimately, they're on the Busters' side. I think that having them as a third party ally will be useful if anything kicks off between Kuroki and the main three, as hinted in earlier episodes.

There is nothing remotely interesting about them. Mele alternates between a shrieking, useless fangirl crawling in the dirt after "Rio-sama", and a little girl playing at being tough. Rio is a glorified emo-kid who'd be more at home in a branch of Hot Topic. Long is the most interesting character and, as much as I love him, that's a bad thing. Sentai is supposed to be about its heroes, not its villains.

I don't think that better villains would have made Goseiger a popular series, either. It would be treated as Gokaiger is being treated now - constantly bashed on because everyone thinks they could have written the show better.

You never bring up specific examples about Gekiranger. Just throwing out opinions and not backing them up doesn't make it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.