Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss Episode 13: Outbreak of War
tumblr_m2lm2xylDk1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

Hey, could we get Mewtwo from the Pokemon movie in on this discussion? You know, something about "The circumstances of one's birth" not mattering? Because the King of Kimlasca desperately needs to hear it.

Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss Episode 14: Sealed Past
tumblr_m2o6ugoFCR1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

Wow. Look at that character growth. It's amazing.

Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss Episode 15
tumblr_m2r7l6GZaO1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

Let's talk about these emotional bombshells they drop.

First, we have the promise. The same promise that Natalia was hoping Luke would remember. The very thing that motivated Natalia to be the kind of person she is today. She knows now that Asch is the one who made that promise. And luke know he'll never have the pleasure of remembering it.

Second, we have the scene in the throneroom. It's Luke who gets it moving. "You claim she's not your daughter, but how do you reconcile that with seventeen years of memories? You will always share those memories." and ends with Natalia crying on her father's shoulder. I'm pretty sure that similar scenes happen every day when a child who learns they're adopted realizes that you didn't need to be born to someone in order for them to be called your parents.

And lastly, we have the scene at the treaty signing. The full truth comes out about Gai's past and the role Van played in it. I see Luke breaking down here because he can't reconcile it. If Van had been a hyper-resonance experiment, why did he do the same to Luke? So many deep secrets about his friends have come out in recent weeks that this last secret breaks him wide open.

And it's all done magnificently.

Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss Episode 16: Core Entry Operation
tumblr_m2smmpr7im1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

My eyes are starting to glaze over from the fononbabble. But I can still follow along.

Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss 17: Overture to Collapse
tumblr_m2u8hfV83w1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

It's got me. This series has got me wanting more. I'd probably be right in assuming, however, that none of the other Tales series have nearly this level of excellence.

Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss Episode 18: Absorption Gate
tumblr_m2vptsDZMo1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

The real fight is coming, This is a prelude.

Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss Episode 19: The Final Score

tumblr_m2wsel2dui1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

Fire off a 21 Fontech Cannon salute for Ion! The Fon Master went out like a hero.

Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss 20: Forest Gravestone
tumblr_m2xqlpaqJo1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

Ouch. I have been informed by a much bigger Tales fan that there's a gaiden manga that shows just how different the Ions were between Arietta and Anise.

Arietta watched over the original Ion, who was a self-centered prick. She stood there and took all his verbal and physical abuse because she loved him.

Anise has the replica Ion, who by comparison is much kinder, much more softspoken, and yet a bit of an airhead.

Arietta, according to Largo, would have killed herself if she knew that the Ion she guarded was dead. This is probably true.

Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss Episode 21 and 22: The Tall Tower and the One Who Vanishes.

tumblr_m2zoxvSJgd1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

So your answer for saving the whole world is an act of genocide? I'm sure the replicas died without pain, but that doesn't change the fact that you took ten thousand lives in an instant.

Resident Precureologist
Tales of the Abyss Episode 23: A Sorrowful Parting
tumblr_m308lq49NL1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

Ouch. Tear had to kill someone she once respected. Natalia had to kill her birth father, after just finding this out. Ouch.