But will they?
Nintendo seems to be keen on making systems that have immense potential, but then not giving the systems the hardware or software to back up that potential.
Exactly. Had the Wii been on par with the other consoles in the first place and had the MotionPlus as the initial controls, they could have had a phenomenon bigger than this. Why get a PS3/360 that just has you at the traditional controller when you can slice, shoot, punch ,kill ,sport play against each other in the game. Imagine how much more badass Grand Theft Auto IV would be if you could do all of that and drive with that.

Proof is, any developers which wanted to release their titles far earlier were encumbered by Nintendo's image and the lack of competent hardware all around ruined their chances at blowing people's minds.

All of the leaked specs and talks have pointed to the Wii U being as powerful as the 360/PS3, maybe a hair more. And honestly if they did make a system that is more powerful than the current ones AND has a touchscreen controller then it would cost $600 for sure which would likely be a huge mistake.

All of the other systems seem to pull that ****, why not become the muscled leader rather than the sleeping midget and make buying the system all the worthwhile. They need to attract more developers to their ranks and fresher talent in their own company .Why not get Sony where it hurts and make them rue the day they made the Playstation by creating a motion control bonanza partnered with Apple's media empire to provide the TV and videos while their onboard app/game store system be promoted as just not only old games, but social media and indie games and perhaps newer games released exclusively towards the system.

I'm hoping for their sake they go for the $400-430 mark so they get some more juice to their system, but if they did above... they'd destroy the others. Perhaps Apple should buy them and or do a partnership, think about it. Nintendo has a world renown gaming empire while Apple is known for their iPod and Macs and great service the world over. If integrated, sure it would cost a bit more, but damn, it would beat Sony's video system where you can't back up your media and Microsoft's. Now they need a dedicated online gaming service if they don't have one. They are a power couple.

The main reason why Nintendo couldn't make a razor blade model console with the Wii was because that they couldn't afford to at the time after what happened during the N64 & Gamecube days like Microsoft & Sony could afford to make a razor-blade model console with both PS3 & Xbox 360.

But now, thanks to the huge amount of money that they made off of Wii's & DS's along with games & accessories, they have more than enough money to make the Wii U tons more powerful than both PS3 & 360.
It was also arrogance and conceit which cost them their lead in the industry. Their stubbornness to not move forward has cost them dearly.

Wow... this... uhhh... very salty rant needs some addressing.

So, the Wii finally gets graphics and features it should have gotten in the first place?

Because graphics whoring is all that matters?

Something to keep in mind is that, when the Wii was first released, HD TVs were still prohibitively expensive for most families. Hell, one of the early unexpected problems the 360 and PS3 faced was that some of their games were unplayable on SD televisions due to the onscreen text being illegible.

Nintendo is becoming like the Catholic Church of gaming.

Heyheyhey! Mario never molested any children. None of that now.

A Wii U versus a 360/PS3? The functionality and volume of titles alone of quality would deter any responsible buyer form the Wii and its sequel.

Statements like this come off as "hardcore gamer" denial. If you keep your eyes shut, throw a hissy fit and keep shouting into the internet echo chamber, you can pretend that the Wii was somehow this phenomenal failure that almost ruined gaming forever.

There are AT LEAST as many good/decent games for the Wii as any other system (and all three have a fair amount of shovelware/crappy games too) so any real "responsible buyer" would take all of that into consideration.

Especially since all of the software developers who develop serious titles which would have contributed more to the Wii than just as a gimmick for Sports and minigames and perhaps the awkwardly controls which plagued gamers until the MotionPlus , which for the matter ,should have been in the initial controller in the first place.

I had to re-read this statement about three times to try and figure out what you were trying to say as you started on one train of thought and ended on another.

To the first part of your statement: I will grant you, one of the biggest problems that has persisted in some of the titles the Wii has gotten is the laziness of the "serious title" developers. Instead of realizing that the Wii is a different beast that has unique strengths to be played to, we got some bad ports with one or two waggle movements to remind people it was on the Wii. (Lookin' at you particularly EA.)

To the second part: As someone who's had a Wii since almost the beginning and who has played a variety of games of different quality levels, I think I'm in a pretty good position to say that the myth that Wiimote controls were somehow universally awkward until the Motion Plus came along is well and truly busted.

For a system that had promise, it only justifies the maxim that gaming without a traditional controller will fail, especially when the hardware is hardly up to par with the competitors.

Again, because graphics whoring is all that matters?

Also again, the Wii did not fail and to claim otherwise is foolish.

The "traditional controller" argument makes me wish I could locate this old article I saw once that talked about how one of the unsung benefits of the Wiimote and Nunchuck set-up was that it allowed for a gamer to sit in a more comfortable position than the hunched forward one traditional controllers required.

Perhaps they should make a spinoff company to allocate newer developers and ideas that does the edgy things such as how Disney had Miramax and Touchstone Pictures, like GameFreak.

Considering GameFreak is pretty much tied to the Pokemon franchise, I don't think they'd be a good choice for a theoretical "edgy studio" like that.

... Unless you want Pokemon MASTER: The Game. (And good lord, I've probably dated myself with that reference.)

Both Apple and Nintendo are far too protective of their closed systems to allow any other companies in so something like that wiill never happen.

Because graphics whoring is all that matters?
Graphics, playability, diversity in games, as well as controller usability.

Something to keep in mind is that, when the Wii was first released, HD TVs were still prohibitively expensive for most families. Hell, one of the early unexpected problems the 360 and PS3 faced was that some of their games were unplayable on SD televisions due to the onscreen text being illegible.

I'll hand you that, but it was still a huge oversight to not make the Wiis retroactively prepared for HD.

Heyheyhey! Mario never molested any children. None of that now.
You know what I mean. They are stagnant and take hardly any chances it seems.

Statements like this come off as "hardcore gamer" denial. If you keep your eyes shut, throw a hissy fit and keep shouting into the internet echo chamber, you can pretend that the Wii was somehow this phenomenal failure that almost ruined gaming forever.

And yet again you categorize me as a hardcore gamer, lol. I am not even close to a hardcore gamer, I'm looking at it through the eyes of a logical consumer. Where will you get more for your money? The Wii had an awesome premise, but as I've said , it was not open for developing to make it truly shine.

There are AT LEAST as many good/decent games for the Wii as any other system (and all three have a fair amount of shovelware/crappy games too) so any real "responsible buyer" would take all of that into consideration.

It depends on which systems you have more games of, but if just clean , then here it goes. If you're going for a cheap quick fix that is not explored in its potential , the Wii is good. But the other ones have that thrill of you know, having good games that don't throw in two motion gimmicks as a crutch as to why its on the Wii. I got Red Steel and was severely disappointed in its execution and stopped playing it right then and there.

I had to re-read this statement about three times to try and figure out what you were trying to say as you started on one train of thought and ended on another.

To the first part of your statement: I will grant you, one of the biggest problems that has persisted in some of the titles the Wii has gotten is the laziness of the "serious title" developers. Instead of realizing that the Wii is a different beast that has unique strengths to be played to, we got some bad ports with one or two waggle movements to remind people it was on the Wii. (Lookin' at you particularly EA.)

To the second part: As someone who's had a Wii since almost the beginning and who has played a variety of games of different quality levels, I think I'm in a pretty good position to say that the myth that Wiimote controls were somehow universally awkward until the Motion Plus came along is well and truly busted.

This is the same problem Nintendo systems have had since the Gamecube days. They're just this trash bin for all the spinoffs, deadbeats and of course the occasional gems, which are mostly from Nintendo itself. The terrible reputation evolved from their unwillingness to adopt a disc standard in the first place, otherwise they would have never lost Square Enix to Sony.

Again, because graphics whoring is all that matters?
It's all things concerning hardware, ie controllers.

Also again, the Wii did not fail and to claim otherwise is foolish.

Sorry to burst your bubble, in the long run, it did once the prices of the other consoles came down and adopted either their own shelved earlier motion controls (Sony) and the failure of adoption of Kinect. I'm more for controller-less gaming in the frame of fighting games ,fps and RPGs and of course the sport games.

It had to justify the lack of hardware in comparison to the competitors and thus so far , the sales for Nintendo have went down. You can also blame the 3DS for part of that becuase of 3D's perception as a ripoff gimmick, but that's an entirely spearate topic.

The "traditional controller" argument makes me wish I could locate this old article I saw once that talked about how one of the unsung benefits of the Wiimote and Nunchuck set-up was that it allowed for a gamer to sit in a more comfortable position than the hunched forward one traditional controllers required.

Hunched? It's the person's own fault if they slouch or hunch when using any controllers , even motion ones. It's more of the problem of posture that is the ail of society at this point than of the controller. It'd be like me blaming video games for unrelated deaths and violence like how rock and roll were blamed for attracting children to the devil. Besides for some controllers, they come wireless/bluetooth, making them as viable as any motion controller.

Perhaps you are getting at the point of less hand and arm joint pain for stagnant arm positions and button mashing? This is one thing I do like about the Wii over the traditional consoles. Then again, I also game on couches with my back relaxed on in a chair that provided support for my back so I coudl rest the bakc rather than hunch it . I believe its more of a personal preference really.

I do love the Zelda crossbow game for the Wii, which I regard as better than some console's traditional controls. Many hardcore games would benefit from the switch to motion if done all the way like Call Of Duty, GTA, Any skateboarding, surfing/snowboarding games. The uniqueness of the controls has not been exploited , which is what sucks.

Considering GameFreak is pretty much tied to the Pokemon franchise, I don't think they'd be a good choice for a theoretical "edgy studio" like that.

... Unless you want Pokemon MASTER: The Game. (And good lord, I've probably dated myself with that reference.)
[/QUOTE]

They need to then make a new company dedicated to such things.

DJEmpress, Motorola allowed iTunes onto their phones for a bit before the iPhone. With new leadership, maybe they'll let Ninnie connect to iTunes in a sweet deal?

Last edited:
"DJEmpress, Motorola allowed iTunes onto their phones for a bit before the iPhone. With new leadership, maybe they'll let Ninnie connect to iTunes in a sweet deal?"

Keywords: BEFORE the iPhone. Apple had no hardware to control and no interest in the industry so they had nothing to lose. Apple now sees the iPhone and iPad as serious gaming machines and thus considers Nintendo direct competition so they would never give an advantage to someone they see as a threat. Plus Motorola is not Nintendo, the companies are light years different. And who the hell is Ninnie?

Last edited:
It's Judgement Time!

whoa! So, can you name me at least 10 that are not from Nintendo? Hell, include Nintendo. Im placing bets on which games you'll list.

I've owned up to 60 good games on the 360 over the years. I respect that you like the Wii but cmon. There was nothing for the Wii outside of a few NIntendo and Ubisoft games. Nothing...

If the Wii U comes out at launch for $300-$400 bucks then I'm in. If it's more than that then it'll depend on the launch line up to see if I'm game. $600 bucks is the absolute limit though and that's really pushing it for me, but like many others have said I HIGHLY doubt it'll be that much or for that matter any where near that much at launch.

Graphics, playability, diversity in games, as well as controller usability.

The highlighted text is the only objectively true part of that statement. The 360 and PS3 both have more raw horsepower and there's no denying that. Everything else is utterly subjective.

And yet again you categorize me as a hardcore gamer, lol. I am not even close to a hardcore gamer, I'm looking at it through the eyes of a logical consumer.

Except what you're saying isn't logical (especially since you keep mentioning things that YOU feel is "wasted" about the Wii as absolutes that others might not come to) and implies that the only way to come to a decision about a system is through your own personal needs for gaming.

If you're going for a cheap quick fix that is not explored in its potential , the Wii is good.

This is the kind of subjective logic and leading statements people calling themselves "hardcore gamers" tend to deal in so it does confuse me a bit that you claim to be otherwise.

Sorry to burst your bubble, in the long run, it did once the prices of the other consoles came down and adopted either their own shelved earlier motion controls (Sony) and the failure of adoption of Kinect.

That's kind of a key part of things to consider. "In the long run" the Wii had sold so many there was bound to be a point sales dropped out just due to the massive pre-existing install base. The 360 and PS3 are starting to only reach that point now.

That still hasn't stopped the Wii from selling RIDICULOUSLY well this Black Friday though (some sales reports have even indicate it beat out the PS3 and 360 by a surprising margin).

You can also blame the 3DS for part of that becuase of 3D's perception as a ripoff gimmick, but that's an entirely spearate topic.

The initial flop of the 3DS is pretty much the main reason Nintendo's stock dropped as hard as it did. Personally, I don't have one and don't plan on getting one until the inevitable improved second edition and games I might actually want come out.

whoa! So, can you name me at least 10 that are not from Nintendo? Hell, include Nintendo. Im placing bets on which games you'll list.

Okay. I'll walk you though my Wii library (which is, incidentally, currently twice as large as my 360 and PS3 libraries COMBINED, though the former is slowly catching up).

NOTE 1: I am willing to concede some of these choices are subjectively good... but then, all game preferences are subjective in the end.

NOTE 2: I will highlight any Nintendo First Party titles because... I've actually never counted before and am kinda curious of the ratio myself (even if I'm not sure why "because Nintendo made them" suddenly means they don't count as good games).

NOTE 3: I'll leave out Gamecube and VC games because that would be cheating. :p

CUT FOR TEXT WALL

[HIDE]
  1. Wii Sports
  2. Wii Sports Resort
  3. Excite Truck
  4. Excite Bots: Trick Racing
  5. Super Paper Mario
  6. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
  7. Super Swing Golf
  8. Geometry Wars: Galaxies
  9. The Monkey King: The Legend Begins
  10. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
  11. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  12. Kororinpa: Marble Madness
  13. Boom Blox
  14. Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
  15. Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
  16. Resident Evil 4
  17. Super Smash Bros Brawl
  18. Soul Calibur Legends
  19. Endless Ocean
  20. The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return
  21. The House of the Dead Overkill
  22. Octomania
  23. Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
  24. Ghost Squad
  25. Sonic Unleashed
  26. Sonic Colors
  27. Heavenly Guard
  28. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves
  29. Warioland: Shake It!
  30. Punch-Out
  31. No More Heroes
  32. No More Heroes 2
  33. Rabbids Go Home
  34. Baroque
  35. Kirby's Epic Yarn
  36. Kirby's Return to Dreamland
  37. Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight
  38. Madworld
  39. Data East Arcade Collection
  40. Tatsunoko VS Capcom
  41. New Super Mario Bros Wii
  42. Gunblade NY/LA Machineguns: Arcade Hits Pack
  43. Okami
  44. Tournament of Legends
  45. Mad Dog McCree: Gunslinger Pack
  46. Dragon's Lair Trilogy
  47. Sam & Max: Season 1
  48. Final Fantasy: The Crystal Bearers
  49. Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Dungeon
  50. Little King's Story
  51. Cursed Mountain
  52. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
  53. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
  54. A Boy and his Blob
  55. Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~
  56. Trauma Team
  57. Secret Files: Tunguska
  58. Spectrobes: Origins
  59. Batman: The Brave and the Bold: The Video Game
  60. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventures
  61. Fragile Dreams ~Farewell Ruins of the Moon~
  62. Wii Fit
  63. Wii Fit Plus
  64. EA Active: Personal Trainer
  65. Golds Gym: Cardio Workout
[/HIDE]

Yes, I'm counting the Exercise Games because they're Exercise GAMES and I enjoy playing them as games as well as for their health benefits.

So... yeah. Quite a bit more than 10 games on there (and I'm not even counting my Wiiware games like the excellent Lost Winds and NyxQuest). A good number of them not from Nintendo or Ubisoft. :p

Last edited: