[DISCUSSION] Ranting on FaceBook. Is it Bad or is it Nothing to be Bothered about?

I don't have low self esteem.
Hello HJU!!

This isn't quite a rant, it's a discussion about ranting but overall it's just one of these silly and fun discussions. No Drama and nothing major.

And in this case, this is about ranting on FaceBook, or MySpace or Twitter or any of these kind of sites..

So anyway, it started when a former friend of mine on FaceBook (who's name shall remain anonymous) decided to delete me from his friends list, because I was having a good old rant. At first I was kinda worried that I was gonna end up ruining my reputation on FaceBook, considereing that I'm always having rants. And I was also thinking about even deleting my FaceBook.. but after talking with some of my other friends, they told me that we all have these rants now and again.. so then I decided "Fine, if that guy want's to delete me let him!! He's nobody special and won't be missed!!".

So moving swiftly on, I just today came across this picture..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And I though, "What a load of nonsense!!" Because.. well, this is Facebook, not shutthefuckup.com. People should be allowed to post whatever they want and express their own opinions. Whether it be ranting about their own personal lives, or some TV show or video game or pop band sucks, or whatever.. I always thought that was the magical thing of FaceBook.

Sure ranting on Facebook will never solve your problems (or at least are less likely to solve your problems) but I personally see ranting on FaceBook as similiar to punching your fist against a wall. It's pointless but at least it can temporarily releave you of your stress.

But that's all just my take on it. What do you think? Should people "stop whining" even on their OWN FaceBook page? Should people only be limited to posting positive stuff like "Certain TV show is really awesome" on their own FaceBook page? Or do you think telling people what then can or can't post of FaceBook is like telling people where they should put their own furniture in their own house? In other words, telling people what they're allowed and not allowed to do with their own stuff?

DISCUSS!!

Actually back this time
You're free to post whatever you want on your own page, but if it annoys people they'll probably just ignore or delete you. In other cases people will tell you to shut up, and this is ok too.

It's kinda silly to be bothered by it either way. I tend to just laugh at people posting stupid things.

Digital Artist
I go on a little rant at times and I think it's okay to only do it sometimes. Not every single post should be a rant. After that, your reputation is kinda ruined. I still don't find rants to be as annoying as girls constantly complaining about their relationship problems. Now that's annoying.

二番目の翻訳者
I think ranting can be a great way to blow off stress, but there are two things to remember:

1.) A lot of things we do to blow off steam will not come off to the outside world as just blowing off steam, and Facebook is a very public forum. To use your analogy, I understand that punching a wall is something a lot of people do when they're mad, but if I saw someone punching a wall, especially in a public space, my first instinct wouldn't be "oh, that guy's just blowing off steam; he's probably okay," it would be "that guy is terrifying; I'd better get out of here." People might be taking the same view of your publicly-posted rants.

2.) A lot of the things we think we're doing to blow off steam aren't actually all that healthy, so always take a minute to ask yourself if what you're doing is actually going to make you feel better, or if it's just going to piss people off and cause you to stew on the issue even more. If it's getting to the point where people are putting you on ignore, it might be time to ask yourself if the ranting is really helping you deal with things that bug you, or if it's just leaving you with a broken hand and even more problems than before.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
I think the main problem there is that people hate repetivity & there are a lot of people who either don't share the same views as you, or (as per online) they're people you don't know all too well & who don't care all that much.

Now, put 200 of those people together to ***** about their problems all day &/or say random **** just for the sake of saying it. It gets pretty damn annoying. (I don't know if I explained that well, but oh well)

I know on my Facebook, I get people repetitively posting knockoff wisdom they got from a song/ book/ tv show, people bitching & ranting, or people playing stupid little party games with each other online- yes, it's pointless & repetitive, but it's amusing & it's better than raging at real life objects, sometimes.

KouAidou, I know exactly what you're talking about lol. If anyone has actually caught me in a bad mood on here, you know that I literally start behaving like an insane person (blaming inanimate objects for doing things on purpose & acting like they can self fix their problems, swearing every other word, labeling people as a group & claiming they're all conspiring to piss me off, & that's only what I actually say/ write out loud) so, yeah, I try to keep my ranting to a minimum, especially on Facebook.

My only problem with Facebook rants is obvious passive-aggressiveness. If your rant is very obviously targeted at a single person and you don't name them then you have issues you need to work out between the two of you. If your rant is about the world in general or something you can't control then I agree that it's just blowing off steam and is perfectly fine.

So to make it short; If it's a personal beef then take it up face to face, if it's a general rant then rant away.

Eye See You
I've also deleted RX from fb. Watching a guy rant and fight with himself with each status message and nobody replying yet he continues to have these conversations with himself was just :sly: to me.

It made me think of a pro wrestler in the ring doing the moves to himself.

I don't have low self esteem.
I've also deleted RX from fb. Watching a guy rant and fight with himself with each status message and nobody replying yet he continues to have these conversations with himself was just :sly: to me.

It made me think of a pro wrestler in the ring doing the moves to himself.

Well I'm sorry that you think this way about me Forever Knight..

But.. really I was just ranting just like anybody else would on FaceBook. Also you're pretty wrong about "nobody replying" because a few actually did. I wasn't asking much for sympathy, I was only ranting. Maybe some advice would be welcomed but it's not essential and it's not guaranteed to solve all my problems.

But, if you just want to delete me just because I was constantly ranting then fine. While it does suck to lose friends, at the same time I'm not missing much, you're only one person and apart from that I've gradually moved on.

Good day sir.

Last edited:
The Meteor has landed
.....I can see why that friend of yours removed you.

Anyway, I never seen any of friends ranting about something (mostly because my friends are the quit type or never on :redface2:) but, it's facebook. What are gonna do about it?

If someone didn't like your rants about...whatever then, it's their problem. And since when, removing of friends on FACEBOOK became a problem? If they don't want to be your friend anymore, then they should say it to your face, not on.....facebook