I liked him when he wasn't a god
in my opinion, the worst offender in "pointless hero addition" is Liveman; BlackBison and Green Sai are the best example of "wasted potential" (and I LOVE Liveman); of course, the fact that they are the siblings of the students slain by Kemp at the beginning was a good idea,and their intro arc was great but they were completely put aside after; Yuusuke, Jou and Megumi were still at the center of the series and the plot; the two others had very little focus, especially Tetsuya

The only thing people seem to remember Green Sai and Black Bison for is the mpreg episode, which is not exactly a stellar legacy :sweat: I think that three-man teams that increase to five or six do a better job developing the additional heroes if those characters are introduced early on and join the team later (Hurricaneger, Abaranger) than if they are introduced as new characters halfway through (Liveman, Gekiranger)

I remember Tetsuya for the "my robot friend" episode if anything. I try to forget Junichi's moronic pregnancy.

Or forget the robot episode. Their debut with LiveBoxer should be worth something.

The only thing people seem to remember Green Sai and Black Bison for is the mpreg episode, which is not exactly a stellar legacy :sweat: I think that three-man teams that increase to five or six do a better job developing the additional heroes if those characters are introduced early on and join the team later (Hurricaneger, Abaranger) than if they are introduced as new characters halfway through (Liveman, Gekiranger)

speaking of Aba and animal mechas, Lazycoconut; how do you feel with Ranru having the pretty light Ptera as a mecha compared with the heavier mechas of the boys? and what do you think of her? and mpreg? (male pregnancy I guess)

二番目の翻訳者
I think that three-man teams that increase to five or six do a better job developing the additional heroes if those characters are introduced early on and join the team later (Hurricaneger, Abaranger) than if they are introduced as new characters halfway through (Liveman, Gekiranger)

I wish we'd see that approach more often with sixth rangers (and secondary Riders) for that matter. Not that I really have a complaint about any of the sixths or seconds we've had in recent years, but I don't like how "set in stone" it feels that we'll always get a new actor and a new Ranger/Rider in the same episode, usually without any sort of foreshadowing or buildup, to leave all the plot dump to happen after they're introed.

Mad Skillz
I wouldn't mind the set in stone episode number if they just actually bothered to foreshadow the introduction of a new ranger. It always feels to me like the cast chemistry gets shaken up so much and it takes episodes for it to rebound because of the way they're tossed into the show so suddenly.

speaking of Aba and animal mechas, Lazycoconut; how do you feel with Ranru having the pretty light Ptera as a mecha compared with the heavier mechas of the boys? and what do you think of her? and mpreg? (male pregnancy I guess)

I've always liked Ranru. I think she was great fun as a character, and it's interesting that she gave up the very common dream of being an idol singer because she wanted to be a mechanic instead. I think Ptera fit well with her

I don't enjoy mpreg in fanfic, but while the Liveman episode was a little strange to say the least, I still love that show

二番目の翻訳者
I wouldn't mind the set in stone episode number if they just actually bothered to foreshadow the introduction of a new ranger. It always feels to me like the cast chemistry gets shaken up so much and it takes episodes for it to rebound because of the way they're tossed into the show so suddenly.

That's what I was referring to (sorry, in retrospect I realize my wording was ambiguous).

Cast chemistry issues aside, making it so the new hero must be a new character takes a lot of the mystery out of things. People can speculate about Miura or Shun or whoever being the Second Rider all they want, but we know it's not going to happen because That's Not How Rider Does Things Anymore. Even OOO, which was setting up so hard to buck this trend and sorta-kinda eventually did, felt like it kind of chickened out by turning Date into a regular and saving Goto-Birth for so late in the series.

I don't really get why they can't change it up sometimes. They've done it in the past and PreCure still does it consistently, so it can't be like it never occurred to them.

Well having the new Rider/Ranger be a new character increases the novelty factor, so I guess Toei thinks it's more marketable. Whereas with an established character it's more of "oh, finally"

Nice post!!
In fact, Goseiger would have been overall better with a different cast than what we got.

The show's cast was pretty problematic. Not in terms of being bad actors, I think, but they didn't have a lot of presence. They didn't know how to stand like heroes or talk like heroes when the script called for it. I think it really damaged the 90s throwback thing the show was going for.

Even the goofiest of the 90s casts, like Carranger, Megaranger, or Kakuranger, knew how to carry themselves like real heroes when it was time for the fight scenes to start. If something serious happened, they could look serious for a bit. I'm not sure the Goseiger cast ever really got beyond looking like idols playing with toys, though Niwa could put in a pretty good effort when the script gave her something to work with.

That said, I think Yudai Chiba deserves some credit for trying really damn hard by the end of the series to be a proper out-of-suit Red. There's a stunt they do toward the end of the show where they stuff his team jacket with explosive packs and set it off while he falls to his knees and does a hammy NOOOOOO that was one of the better out-of-suit stunts I'd seen in Sentai in years when it first aired.

Yudai Chiba also gets through an out-of-suit fight with Gosei Knight that's pretty credible toward the end of the show, and I've seen suit actors fail to keep up with Jiro Okamoto in top form (and Gosei Knight played to all of his strengths). I know someone else suggested Watanabe Shu as a Yudai Chiba replacement, but I can't see him pulling off either of those stunts credibly.

I certainly didn't see anything top those Goseiger action scenes for out-of-suit stuntwork until Gokaiger brought Junya Ikeda into the cast. Every time they give that kid out-of-suit stunts to do, I'm just blown away. He even kept up with Keiichi Wada in a fight scene worthy of Dairanger! If they just wrote him into every show for the next ten years, I would be okay with that.

One of the major appeals of Majiranger was the family aspect (not the first series to do this). I felt the actors did an excellent job of making many of us, who enjoyed the series, believe they were a real, loving family. And honestly, I don't see why people refer to this as a Harry Potter sentai, because Harry Potter was about an orphaned boy and his adventures at Hogwart`s. Majiranger is far, far from this.

Again, this is the internet. Don't believe everything you read. Experience a series for yourself.