so being cheerful, optimistic and smiling all the time is a huge crime? at least it was nice having a new type of Red once in awhile. I'm sick of screaming Reds and cocky Reds. Arata is one of the best Reds and just because he looks like a little boy doesn't mean he sucks. and really? the Goseigers have terrible looks? I think you're looking at a different cast.

Last edited:
Who you gonna call?
so being cheerful, optimistic and smiling all the time is a huge crime? at least it was nice having a new type of Red once in awhile. I'm sick of screaming Reds and cocky Reds. Arata is one of the best Reds and just because he looks like a little boy doesn't mean he sucks. and really? the Goseigers have terrible looks? I think you're looking at a different cast.
No, I wouldn't have had any trouble with Alata acting the same way if he was portrayed better on screen. I'm not personally putting the blame on the character, just on the acter. And yes, I'm reaffirming that Chiba wasn't the actor that Alata needed or was suited to be. I bet another actor would have made Alate more likeable. In fact, Goseiger would have been overall better with a different cast than what we got.

And the attractiveness of somebody depends of an entirely personal view. No, I don't like how the Goseiger cast looks, the same way you might not like another cast I personally like.

eh, what's done has already been done and over with, no point looking back and ranting about it. I initially thought Chiba-chan was going to make a bad impression as a Red because of his looks, but he turned out great. if you want to know what's creepier, get this: he acted the same way as Arata when I met him in person.

I understand everybody have their own taste of good looks, but since I've met Niwa-chan a few times and I'm quite close to her, it hurts whenever I see people calling her ugly. it's like hearing my loved one being badmouthed. :sweat:

Who you gonna call?
I know I sounded too harsh, so sorry if you've felt offended.:sweat:

And in my opinion Niwa made a good portrayal of Moune and she also got nice focus episodes, they're among my favorite episodes. She might not be one of my favorite Super Sentai actresses (Kinoshita Ayumi-San <3), but she made a good job with Moune.

Poor Agri got the short stick in the focus department...

nah, it's cool. :) yeah, I liked her as Mone as well, I can't imagine any other actresses portraying her. but I just wished her "pfft, you guys suck! I'll only respect Onii-chan because to me, he's number one." image stayed throughout the series. I dunno if she found the character too hard to portray or something. she suddenly became a complete different character after Epic 3.

I remember reading somewhere on the forums that Ebisawa was having problems portraying Gunpei as a cool detective and the script writers helped by changing his character up a bit.

as for Aguri... I have no idea what sort of character he was going for. he's either always arguing with Mone or just being angry with any enemies he meet. :laugh: I liked Goseiger too, everything about it was great. I really like the cast members, but their characters were just... sigh! what did they do to deserve such roles?

my reasons for liking Kiva is just about the same, the characters were sigh, but the story and designs were interesting. why do I always end up loving series which the entire fandom despises? :laugh:

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
er; I disagree: even if Gou had a peripheral role, I felt that he brought nice stuff into the series; first, because he was among Rio's friends before Rio left Geki Juken Beast arts, and a part of Rio's past, and not just Retsu's brother; the fact that Rio completely forget him, and is obsessed by Jan doesn't change that; Gou's failure as Rio's rival helps us understand Rio more; that said, Lazy, I agree about Ken: probably one of the most pointless sentai hero ever in the franchise; to be fair, even if Long is defeated in the final, Ran and Retsu are still somewhat sidelined in the series.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Maybe the series would have been OK with just four Rangers; it worked for JAKQ after all. I agree that with his backstory Gou at least contributed more to the show than did Ken

By the way, Lazy; one question I had in mind since your comment about the Gobuster animals and the fact that the girl had the rabbit instead of a badass animal; is the fact that both female heroines in those series ( Gaowhite and Gekiyellow ) did have badass animals as mechas (tiger, elephant and deer for Gaowhite; cheetah, elephant (okay, a penguin too) for Gekiyellow) one of the reasons you can enjoy Gaoranger and Gekiranger?

Partly, yes, but I'd think the rabbit was lame no matter which character got it. If Blue had the rabbit and Yellow the gorilla, I'd say "why is Blue being shafted?"

I have to say that I don't see how Alata was creepy. Being smiley and cheerful in an innocent way (i.e. not the manic grinning psycho out of a horror movie) isn't a bad thing. I think that a lot of people's problem with Goseiger is that they think being an adult involves a cynical and "realistic" outlook, and thus see the Goseigers as at best childish and at worst unnatural. That would probably still be true even with the best actors in the roles

Who you gonna call?
My problems with Alata don't steem from his cheerfulness and innocence (it was actually welcomed somebody vital and optimist that didn't leave you deaf). I just believe that Chiba could have done a better job or maybe another actor would have worked better as Alata. I don't know, but there are many escenes I cringe with Alata and can't help to think that another actor wouldn't have caused in me the same sensation even if he acted and said the exact same lines. It's just a personal appreciation, I'm not saying Chiba is helplessly a terrible actor or utterly ugly, just that I feel he wasn't the ideal actor for Alata.

Those who are more knowledgeable about Japanese actors, do you know other actors who could have played Alata's role?

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Watanabe Shu :D

He pulled the "genki, genki" hero quite well, IMHO.

Would that leave Chiba as OOO? :laugh:

I sadly don't watch a lot of Jdramas so I can't think of anyone off the top of my head, but there has to be someone out there

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Maybe the series would have been OK with just four Rangers; it worked for JAKQ after all. I agree that with his backstory Gou at least contributed more to the show than did Ken

in my opinion, the worst offender in "pointless hero addition" is Liveman; BlackBison and Green Sai are the best example of "wasted potential" (and I LOVE Liveman); of course, the fact that they are the siblings of the students slain by Kemp at the beginning was a good idea,and their intro arc was great but they were completely put aside after; Yuusuke, Jou and Megumi were still at the center of the series and the plot; the two others had very little focus, especially Tetsuya