I think there was a musical number in there somewhere, too.

There were several, all courtesy of the villains. Matched their personalities well, and helped make them fun and memorable, at least in my eyes. Reminded me quite a bit of the songs the villains in Time Bokan would do every now and then.

speaking of how super sentai show entertainment and make me smile, Fiveman and Goonger never failed to it. They are humorous shows.

But I agree Ohranger somehow failed, it was just too serious.

Goseiger is ok, and taking that it is a newer show, the production, costume and villain designs are great.

Eye See You
As bad as Zyuranger is no matter what I do whenever I watch an episode I get MMPR nostalgia, it cannot be stopped.

Kuuguitar
What's happened with Gaoranger's reception is pretty interesting. The show was absolutely detested when it debuted, because it had the misfortune of following fan favorite Timeranger. Where Timeranger was seriously pushing the boundaries of what storytelling in Sentai could be like, Gaoranger opted for a more traditional story and instead focused on pushing effects.

Over time, Gaoranger's traditional aspects were viewed more favorably as Sentai progressively became sillier and less concerned with even basic narrative storytelling. Once the show was fully subbed by GSF, a full-blown second wave of fandom for it erupted. For a lot of younger fans, Gaoranger is the most old-school thing they've been able to see and completely understand.

Not to mention that Gaoranger's gimmicks with the loads of Mecha Expansion Packs in the form of the extra animals was partially a response to Timeranger's mediocre toy sales, or that's the impression I'm getting.

Ole! Ole! Ole!
One of the big complaints about Gekiranger on the Japanese side was too much time spent on Rio and Mele. (I think I've seen this phrased sarcastically as, "Why are Rio and Mele the main characters of Gekiranger?")

Every time I see this listed as a con about Gekiranger it pisses me off to no end. I get that Ran and Retsu's development suffered as result but really, those two weren't the most exciting characters. Those two existed to be disciplined and contrast (and learn) from Jan. Even then, Retsu's relevance rose with the introduction of Gou and the story's stressing on the triangle. Hell, Ran was probably one of the more powerful and legitimate females in all of Sentai.

Anyway (pardon the digression), if fans cannot recognize why Rio was given so much spotlight in Gekiranger they really must have not paid much attention to Long's story. Rio and Mele were main characters because they were more than villains. Jan and Rio were pitted against each other out of Long's amusement. They were both victims in Long's twisted plan.

tl;dr, Rio was given so much focus because he was just as important to the story as Jan.

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get that off my chest.

Back to the thread now.

I have only seen pieces of Timeranger but I have no idea why Sentai fans would hate Gaoranger just because it followed it. I would go as far to say that it is overrated but I shall reserve judgment until a group does the deed that everyone is waiting for.

Kuuguitar
Every time I see this listed as a con about Gekiranger it pisses me off to no end. I get that Ran and Retsu's development suffered as result but really, those two weren't the most exciting characters. Those two existed to be disciplined and contrast (and learn) from Jan. Even then, Retsu's relevance rose with the introduction of Gou and the story's stressing on the triangle. Hell, Ran was probably one of the more powerful and legitimate females in all of Sentai.

Anyway (pardon the digression), if fans cannot recognize why Rio was given so much spotlight in Gekiranger they really must have not paid much attention to Long's story. Rio and Mele were main characters because they were more than villains. Jan and Rio were pitted against each other out of Long's amusement. They were both victims in Long's twisted plan.

tl;dr, Rio was given so much focus because he was just as important to the story as Jan.

Sorry for the rant, I just had to get that off my chest.

Back to the thread now.

I have only seen pieces of Timeranger but I have no idea why Sentai fans would hate Gaoranger just because it followed it. I would go as far to say that it is overrated but I shall reserve judgment until a group does the deed that everyone is waiting for.

Western fan myopia?

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Every time I see this listed as a con about Gekiranger it pisses me off to no end. I get that Ran and Retsu's development suffered as result but really, those two weren't the most exciting characters.

Don't you think they might have been more interesting had they been given some proper development and not sidelined in favour of Rio and Mele?

Really, Gou's role was so peripheral that it could have been reduced to a two-part episode just to bring some closure to Retsu's brother-issues. Since it was made clear that only Jan, Ran and Retsu could defeat Long, there was really no purpose to Gou or Ken at all

Don't you think they might have been more interesting had they been given some proper development and not sidelined in favour of Rio and Mele?

Really, Gou's role was so peripheral that it could have been reduced to a two-part episode just to bring some closure to Retsu's brother-issues. Since it was made clear that only Jan, Ran and Retsu could defeat Long, there was really no purpose to Gou or Ken at all

er; I disagree: even if Gou had a peripheral role, I felt that he brought nice stuff into the series; first, because he was among Rio's friends before Rio left Geki Juken Beast arts, and a part of Rio's past, and not just Retsu's brother; the fact that Rio completely forget him, and is obsessed by Jan doesn't change that; Gou's failure as Rio's rival helps us understand Rio more; that said, Lazy, I agree about Ken: probably one of the most pointless sentai hero ever in the franchise; to be fair, even if Long is defeated in the final, Ran and Retsu are still somewhat sidelined in the series.

By the way, Lazy; one question I had in mind since your comment about the Gobuster animals and the fact that the girl had the rabbit instead of a badass animal; is the fact that both female heroines in those series ( Gaowhite and Gekiyellow ) did have badass animals as mechas (tiger, elephant and deer for Gaowhite; cheetah, elephant (okay, a penguin too) for Gekiyellow) one of the reasons you can enjoy Gaoranger and Gekiranger?

Last edited:
Without Ken they would've been wiped out by the Kenma. He was the only one who could've unlocked the Beast Power Bloom.

Who you gonna call?
I wouldn't call GoseiRed vulnerable at all. He was a courageous, determined, focused and skilled Red.

The problems come when he turns into Alata.

Alata creeped the hell out of me. Always cheerful, always optimist, always friggin' smiling! Reds are supposed to be the ones to keep the team's morals high and even inspire them, but Alata turned it up beyond the scale that he crossed the uncanny valley and creepied me out.

I liked GoseiRed a lot, but Alata made me cringe. It's like they were two completely different characters for me and both in the opposite sides of the likeable balance.

I enjoyed Goseiger quite much, but I must admit that for me the bane of Goseiger was its terrible cast. And don't mean it only in terms of looks, they were terrible actors which coupled with poor characterizations from part of the guionists.

And MagiRanger was a series the majority of people liked. Was it perfect? Far from it, but it was enjoyable and its elements worked well together. It has its faults, sure, but it's still a solid series and I find it one of my personal favorites (it's obvious).

And that "magic doesn't fit with Super Sentai" is so... erm... so stupid argument that I don't know where the hell you heard it and I won't even comment it.