Lurker
With ebay, it's easier to have incredibly rare items pop up, but yeah. It's kinda neat perusing Famicom fan forums and reading about just which rare games actually are worth all that much.

Then you have this. From what I understand that game is nearly impossible to find even cart only.

Rare games are neat to read about 'n stuff.

They can definitely be fun to read about, though in a lot of cases the rarer the game the crappier it is. You'd have a hard time finding a game that's worth over 500 dollar that's actually worth playing. Except for a few Neo Geo games of course. However, 100 dollar or so is obviously still expensive for a game and I can list quite a few games that I think might be worth that and are worth playing.

But like I said, this is turning into a lists topic and those are quite boring. Tekken Hybrid just came out so I kind of doubt that's rare even if it's the Limited edition. The turtles games for nes are by no means rare, not even obscure (I have to admit I've never seen a copy of 3 but that's because it's never seen a EU release). Just to name a few examples of games people have been listing here.

But like I said, this is turning into a lists topic and those are quite boring. Tekken Hybrid just came out so I kind of doubt that's rare even if it's the Limited edition. The turtles games for nes are by no means rare, not even obscure (I have to admit I've never seen a copy of 3 but that's because it's never seen a EU release). Just to name a few examples of games people have been listing here.

Honestly, I actually was kinda winging the PS3 and Retro games. :p My PS1 and PS2 games a bit more rare (With the exception of Street Fighter: The Movie. :p). ^_^

Actually back this time
They can definitely be fun to read about, though in a lot of cases the rarer the game the crappier it is. You'd have a hard time finding a game that's worth over 500 dollar that's actually worth playing. Except for a few Neo Geo games of course. However, 100 dollar or so is obviously still expensive for a game and I can list quite a few games that I think might be worth that and are worth playing.

To be honest... really the only game I'd spend over 100 dollars on would be Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'd be shelling out at least 250+ on it, but I've played it before... and if I ever get into a situation where I wouldn't feel guilty about purchasing it, I'm gonna frickin' buy it. I have a friend who spent 210 dollars on mint copies of Suikoden and Suikoden II. I like both of those games well enough, but I... don't like them that much.

Lurker
Honestly, I actually was kinda winging the PS3 and Retro games. :p My PS1 and PS2 games a bit more rare (With the exception of Street Fighter: The Movie. :p). ^_^

There actually are some rarish ps3 games though, Assasin's Creed LEs tend to get harder to find surprisingly fast, the EU and US LE of Demon Souls, the EU version of Tales of Vesperia. The GTA IV LE. Again, a lot of these are hard to find/expensive rather than rare though.

To be honest... really the only game I'd spend over 100 dollars on would be Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'd be shelling out at least 250+ on it, but I've played it before... and if I ever get into a situation where I wouldn't feel guilty about purchasing it, I'm gonna frickin' buy it. I have a friend who spent 210 dollars on mint copies of Suikoden and Suikoden II. I like both of those games well enough, but I... don't like them that much.

The english versions of Saga got a rather small print if I recall correctly because of the Saturn failing everywhere except for japan so that actually is quite a rare game. Not that hard to find if you have the money for it though.

And yeah, 210$ for both Suikoden 1 and 2 US version sounds about right. Good thing I can just buy the EU release of 1 for about 40 euro if I ever want it =P

Rare has been overused so much for games that are so easy to find that it has very little meaning anymore. When you see that games like FF VII (one of the best selling games on ps1) sells for more than most of the games mentioned in this topic while also being called rare I think you can see what I mean.

Which is kinda what I was trying to say but in fewer word.

Like I consider games like Robopon and Robon Cross as rare games while someone else might see it as something not to marvel over kinda like with a couple of the PS2 games I have like Eureka Seven Vol. 1 & 2 and D.I.C.E. might be considered rare in themselves.