二番目の翻訳者
... yes? The Zyu main characters all use entirely typical color-coded Sentai personality archetypes.

Geki: Strong Red (Compare to Shinken Red, Vul Eagle)
Goushi: Strong Black (Compare to Gosei Black)
Dan: Cool Blue (Compare to Gosei Blue)
Boi: He's kind of unusual as Sentai goes, he got the archetype of being the strict, traditional guy. Sentai doesn't deal in this character type a lot as one of the main rangers, more often reserving it for a mentor type. There are points of comparison for him, though; look at Mega Black or Shinken Blue for more recent ones.
Mei: The Girl (in an all-male team, this is genuinely a personality archetype; compare to Houou Ranger)

I think you may have gotten the characters a little mixed up. Geki, Goushi, and Mei are correct, but Dan and Boi are pretty off. Dan is a bit of a reckless, irresponsible punk, while Boi is the youngest member of the team and tends to be friendly but also impulsive. He does scold Dan and take him to task, but it sort of comes off in the way bossy little kids will "scold" their older brothers.

Personally I find all the ZyuRangers pretty memorable and distinct so far, with the only one lacking being Goushi. That has less to do with him lacking a personality and more to do with the fact that he barely gets any focus episodes in the ones I've seen; he's usually hanging out back on base with Geki and Mei while Dan and Boi are off doing something insane, or else the five of them are appearing as a group.

Goushi is explicitly the oldest member of the team, though, so I imagine the personality he's supposed to be getting is of the mature, cool-headed one. While Geki is explicitly the leader he often seems to overestimate his own abilities and does some stupid **** propelled by his own yosha (like trying to pull out the demon sword after it had already possessed Dan once).

Nice post!!
Dan is a bit of a reckless, irresponsible punk, while Boi is the youngest member of the team and tends to be friendly but also impulsive.

Ah, memory makes fools of us all (but mostly me).

Still, it sounds like my basic point holds, just with Dan as a Rival Blue and Yellow as a different sort of oddball character. Actually, the description of him puts me in mind of Fiveman, though I don't remember enough about Fiveman to recall which character he reminds me of.

As for GOushi, he does get his own episode in the second half when he befriends a girl who does Kendo. My favorite episode is Mei's Shichi Henge in which we get to see Laime disguised as a civilian.

Zyuranger at the time was trying to do something totally different and was in a very experimental stage. Those qualities would only evolve when it's main write was still on staff to do other installments.

D

Dr Kain

For me, Episode 11-16 really brought down Zyuranger ...Those 6 episodes bored the hell out of me and it felt very out of place ... I would most probably lay the blame on the writers for not knowing what to write prior to the Burai Arc

Is one of those episodes the one with the traveller who makes friends with a kid and they start shrinking a variety of places and things and puts them into a bottle? I cannot remember what episode number that was, but that one is probably the worst episode in the series.

I agree with an earlier post that Zyuranger tends to range from really boring to really awesome, depending rather the show is focusing on the children or Burai. Zyuranger does have a lot of cool things like awesome weapons, mechas, fight scenes, theme song, exc. This is what partly made MMPR so fun to watch.

As far as the characters, the only ones I really enjoyed were Burai, Geki, and to an extent Mei. The rest of the characters were pretty bland and lacked development. Most of the character development in Zyuranger went to the child of the week. As far as Zyuranger being childish, I think the whole fantasy aura had a childish tone to it, and the child of the week syndrom got grating really fast. Though to be honest, this is my personal taste preference, and I did like another childish Sentai, Go-Onger.

However, Burai's story arc is awesome and is IMO what keeps Zyuranger from becoming another Goseiger. I also loved his sibling relationship with Geki. However, it's ashame that Burai has very little screentime between the first and second part of his story arc. Bandora was a descent villain, which I think also helped Zyuranger. Overall, Zyuranger is ok. It's awesome when the story arcs happen, but boring during the filler episodes (except for the Punks episode, that was awesome).

Red Falcon
Is one of those episodes the one with the traveller who makes friends with a kid and they start shrinking a variety of places and things and puts them into a bottle? I cannot remember what episode number that was, but that one is probably the worst episode in the series.
Episode 14 is what you're referring to and i agree with you that was Zyuranger's worst episode ... I mean, i have seen wacky episodes of Sentai but 14 was just straight out whacked IMO

Eye See You
The thing about the kiddie zyuranger stuff is it still wasn't as whacky as Tokusatsu can get these days or maybe it is but it was just done better back then.

I think it was.

The thing about the kiddie zyuranger stuff is it still wasn't as whacky as Tokusatsu can get these days or maybe it is but it was just done better back then.

It's not as wacky as more recent Sentai, but I personally prefer the wackiness over Zyuranger. Wackiness at least shows the writers and producers are trying to have fun with the show, and it can be pretty funny IMO. With Zyuranger, the child of the week syndrom got old and tiring really fast.

二番目の翻訳者

I think it's not as wacky as modern toku can be. I'm up to episode 14 and so far most of the wacky in Zyuranger is just stuff being whimsical due to the setting. The characters themselves are not terribly wacky -- even Dan and Boi always have some amount of dignity -- and even the weirdest, silliest stuff always has some sense of danger or tragedy behind it. I would just chalk this up to the difference in timeslot and the considerations of the adult audience being taken more into account.

I know that a lot of people don't like the kid of the week plotlines, but I'm really enjoying that aspect of this show. It clicks with everything about the setting and a lot of the individual done-in-one plots are pretty clever and perceptive about the sorts of relationships children have. For instance, as weak as the first half of episode 14 was, I really liked how it tied together into the lesson in the end of how small and afraid children can feel when adults get angry at them. A good lesson for the families watching the show.

(Also, the fight scene between Toshio and DaiZyuJin was hilarious and awesome.)

and you do understand that even though something is aimed towards children the show its self doesnt have to be extremly childish? eg Dairanger aimed towards children but not entirly childish *yes it does have its moments*

To be honest with you KingRanger I have no idea why you posted that, besides to try and raise problems? no where have I denied that its for children ive just stated that its childish

want a more english example ... Doctor Who thats aimed at children but its not childish

Annnnnd Kingranger leaves the thread! Classic stuff:laugh: