I feel that Sakamoto's recent stint doing sentai and Rider stuff might have caught on a bit. Now Gokaigers seems to have a fair bit of out of suit fighting (and funny enough Samurai has pretty few no suit fighting).

Are you for or against out of suit fighting? Sure it looks all cool and makes the characters 'believable' (Let's face it, a lot of modern toku actors don't look like they can win a fight against anything), but it creates a weird disconnect when some eps rangers can take on mooks without a problem while others they have to henshin.

Maybe do a toku show with no suits vs rubber monster suits? Could be rad ;P

MagiFanboy
Well, it depends on the premise of the series; with something like Mahou Sentai Magiranger where the characters are untrained civilians without their powers, or Kamen Rider Ryuki where they need the suits just to be able to survive the Mirror World much less its monsters or the other riders, it wouldn't make much sense at all for the characters to go on fighting out of their suits. On the other hand, you have something like Gokaiger or Maskman, where the characters have significant fighting experience, so having them fight out of suit helps to sell that.

That said, my preference is for in-suit fighting; if you have super-powers, and there's no real limiting factor on your ability to use them, why would you ever fight the super-powered forces of evil without them? Granted, this comes from my experience watching Power Rangers as a child, and just rolling my eyes every time they tried to fight the mooks off without their powers knowing damn well that they were going to have to morph before the end anyway.

Altair
Unless you are at some kind of disadvantage being in-suit, you might as well transform.

ooh yeah. Also when you see real people get the **** kicked out of them from dudes in rubber monster suits. My brain can never comprehend that correctly ;P

Can't help from laughing ^^

"Let's DRIVING!!!!!"
I would have to agree with Cypsiman2 for this argument. It depends on what actual experience, the person has in combat with or without the suits.

Examples:
-Maskman
-Gokaiger
-Gekiranger
-Gaoranger
-Gingaman
-GoGo-V
-Hurricaneger
-Dekaranger
-Dairanger
-Kakuranger

Some of the few with the best combat experience out-of-suits based on their tactics and fighting styles.

Maskman even goes to lengths (i.e. "Power level above 9000!" lengths) to show that the main characters are supposed to be superhuman level and use fighting as a form of training their power.

In those types of shows, it wouldn't make sense for them to instantly transform while just fighting grunts. In most other cases, though, especially where the main characters are normal people thrust into the role, in-suit fighting would be more appropriate.

Some kind of Beast mode
Yay, yay, and yay for out of suit/civilian fighting in Sentai NOW. Back in the day, there was a lot, which is great but they lacked much creativity. When I say back in the day, I mean the 70's and 80's. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because of the time period (if that is a valid excuse for this subject) but it is, what it is.

The 90's also fell into a boring pattern, but they did progress. Then coming into the decade it started to die. It never went completely non-existent, but it wasn't consistent either.

From Shinkenger on is were Sentai civilian fights really started to flourish. There were a good amount and very well choreographed.

It really depends. A martial arts themed Sentai such as Gekiranger SHOULD have had a good amount of out-of-suit battles.
But then again, if the actors are not trained in martial arts, they might as well not do it, because it gets REALLY obvious sometimes when you can obviously see that they are using stuntmen with wigs.

In older Sentai shows, they actually had a couple of actors who could fight. Kenji Ohba (DenjiBlue) comes to mind. I believe he even did some of the in-suit fighting as well.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Are you for or against out of suit fighting? Sure it looks all cool and makes the characters 'believable' (Let's face it, a lot of modern toku actors don't look like they can win a fight against anything)

I don't follow you? It looks more believable when characters kick ass out of suit even though they don't look like they could do it?