HEROW
For me, after growing up with Sentai and seeing it in the US, it always feel like just a try-hard copy of the 1st.

I mean, Hollywood can make their own Sci-Fi action show, they don't really need to adapt foreign shows and make it their own.

@MattComix: Loving your 009 avi! :buttrock:

Friendship and the Cosmos.
I think they really pulled it off well in TimeForce, which it completely took from Timeranger, but it added its own twist to it (Like Ransik), and in the end it was its own little interpretation of Timeranger's ending.

SPD, I don't remember Deka all that well. I just remember the plots about Kat and Doggy in Dekamaster's debut.

But I give them a little slack because they are confined to the Sentai footage.

I do give credit though, when PR does its own thing. Like, the Samurai episode in NinjaStorm, a lot of DinoThunder, the Titanium Ranger arc in LightSpeed, those are some good stuff.

There is no excuse for bad acting however. Oh, well, REALLY bad acting.

I agree with the medicine thing, I get that, but no Power Rangers has not always been corny. Thats a silly stereotype from the first couple of seasons. MMPR up through turbo was corny. In Space - Time Force was NOT corny. Jungle Fury and RPM, while funny, were NOT corny. You cant just say the series as a whole is corny when it just straight up HASNT BEEN.

The writing on this show is just so stiff. I dont understand how it can get through any kind of QC. The acting is wooden, except maybe Jayden at times, and Mia, and Daiyu. Everyone else just feels like they're acting a part instead of being these characters. It lends absolutely NO dramatic tension to anything.

Plain and simple, the show is lazy.

先生
I agree with the medicine thing, I get that, but no Power Rangers has not always been corny. Thats a silly stereotype from the first couple of seasons. MMPR up through turbo was corny. In Space - Time Force was NOT corny. Jungle Fury and RPM, while funny, were NOT corny. You cant just say the series as a whole is corny when it just straight up HASNT BEEN.

The writing on this show is just so stiff. I dont understand how it can get through any kind of QC. The acting is wooden, except maybe Jayden at times, and Mia, and Daiyu. Everyone else just feels like they're acting a part instead of being these characters. It lends absolutely NO dramatic tension to anything.

Plain and simple, the show is lazy.

And even then Daiyu's actress is only doing voice acting. They ALREADY HAD the footage for that character.

pictures of fish
I don't see people bashing it for being like Shinkenger, I'm seeing people bashing it for being cheesy

I for one don't mind and like it as it is. I have a feeling it's gonna be one of those "meh" series

Whomp, whomp!
I understand why people find this "annoying", but it goes both ways. I hate when people come in and complain just for the sake of putting PR down. What respect is that showing to those who either watch Sentai in moderation or not at all, like myself? All you guys who defend Sentai to no end do is make each episode discussion into a PR vs. Sentai discussion...which is pointless.

Maybe we should have a separate stickied discussion thread to compare each series when the PR counterpart (in this case Samurai) is airing. I think it would clear up a lot of unnecessary posts and avoid arguments amongst fans.

先生
I understand why people find this "annoying", but it goes both ways. I hate when people come in and complain just for the sake of putting PR down. What respect is that showing to those who either watch Sentai in moderation or not at all, like myself? All you guys who defend Sentai to no end do is make each episode discussion into a PR vs. Sentai discussion...which is pointless.

Maybe we should have a separate stickied discussion thread to compare each series when the PR counterpart (in this case Samurai) is airing. I think it would clear up a lot of unnecessary posts and avoid arguments amongst fans.

No one is putting Power Rangers down just to put it down. Most of us watched it as kids, some of us still religiously follow it. The thing is though that it is IMPOSSIBLE to differentiate Samurai from Shinkenger when Samurai is an Americanized copy of it.

Toku Webcomic Artist
I get that, but no Power Rangers has not always been corny. Thats a silly stereotype from the first couple of seasons. MMPR up through turbo was corny. In Space - Time Force was NOT corny. Jungle Fury and RPM, while funny, were NOT corny. You cant just say the series as a whole is corny when it just straight up HASNT BEEN.

With both In Space and RPM, remember that the studio didn't care at all what the writers did. It's gonna be the last season anyways, so just go do what you want. Turns out they were some of the best. Now, here's the flipside. In Space had many fans growing up with the show. It complimented them well, and it's remembered for being a great season. RPM had barely anything behind it, and so nobody "grew up" with it. RPM failed in that sense, and while it's one of the best shows in the series, it just didn't get anywhere until a bit later. Part of that is Disney's marketing of the show (or lack thereof) but some is just the show in general. Samurai wants to reclaim those MMPR days. I can't blame them for trying it this way, in fact I respect them a whole lot more for it. MMPR was corny, you said it yourself. But the silliness got us into it as kids. I won't lie: When I was 7, I loved Bulk and Skull. They had nothing to do with the show, and were cardboard cutouts of bullies without being able to do anything, but I enjoyed it. A bit of cheese in the show actually added to its memorability. I think bringing that back, even though a few places they might be over doing it, is why it's gaining in popularity. I wish the EPs would listen though, when I say "Let the writers do their job! You get a better product!" I don't think Samurai is bad at all, but the flaws I see are all because writers probably didn't have enough freedom.

Saban is trying to do two things: Recapture the corny magic of MMPR and adapt Shinkenger, into one season. IMO, the writers are doing it, well, but in MMPR feel season obviously doesn't work for the majority of the older fans anymore, especially when it "tarnishes" what Shinkenger was.

To me, it is a homage to Shinkenger and MMPR and I enjoy it as such. And to be honest, I enjoyed episode 6 and 5 more so than their Shinkenger counterpart. Hopefully, the tone of the show will get darker as we go deeper into the season, like MMPR became decent over the course of three seasons so then, it is able to capture the tone of Shinkenger better. OMFG, the first season of MMPR is a nightmare to sit through, now.

I love Shinkenger but I easily can differentiate Samurai from it. I guess I have become easy going like that.

To make the show more popular among older fans, Saban should have saved his MMPR remake for Goseiger and went all out with Shinkenger, but who knows if he gives a fig about the older fans. But what do I know? I am an adult and I am enjoying the samurai ride, with the bumps in the road not bothering me too much.

Last edited: