Abandon Ship, a single-player PC game where you take command of a ship and her crew, exploring a diverse, procedurally generated world, taking on quests and dealing with random events, has been announced. The game has also gotten an announcement trailer, which you can see below. Frequently, you will end up engaging other ships in combat, the player having to employ their best tactics in order to out-maneuvre and out-gun the enemy. The game focuses on “Age of Sail” ships in a Fantasy setting, framed in an Art Style inspired by classic Naval Oil Paintings.
In Abandon Ship, you reap what you sow. Explore a fantasy world that reacts to your actions. Quests may drastically change the environment. Make decisions that create friends or enemies that may later come back to help or hinder you. The game is set to have a number of features upon its Steam release, including:
- Tactical and Savage Combat. Each battle is hard-fought, always on the edge of defeat. Your only chance of overcoming the odds is to employ every advantage you can and utilise all the tools at your disposal.
- Ship Destruction is not the End. Life in the world of Abandon Ship can be brutal. Death is permanent. But the game doesn’t end if your vessel is destroyed. You are the Captain, and as long as the Captain is alive, there is always hope. By escaping to a Lifeboat, or even being stranded, alone in the water, there is still a chance to survive and fight your way back to the top.
- Explore a procedurally generated world from Tropics to Arctics. Engage in quests or deal with incidental events on your journey to save the world from a Doomsday Cult.
- A Personal Adventure. Customise and upgrade your Captain, Ship and Crew. Build yourself to be worthy of any foe, whether that be human or otherwise. But be prepared to make moment-to-moment life-or-death decisions for you and your crew.
- Take on adventures in a world that reacts to your actions. Quests may drastically change the environment. Make decisions that create friends or enemies that may later come back to help or hinder you.
Speaking about making the game, developer Fireblade Software said:
“Abandon Ship exists for two reasons. The team want to make their own games, beholden only to themselves and the Games-Playing public. But also because they want to make games that they would play themselves in their own time. We always wondered why a game didn’t exist that combined the Tactical combat of games like FTL with the exploration mechanics of titles such as Sunless Sea, all wrapped up in an Age of Sail setting.”