Every month, Pop Geeks looks through the extensive entries to Steam Early Access – some of which we may have already reported on – and brings you some of the best indie games that are worthy of your attention, all in a listicle form counting down to our favorite. From horror games, to RPGs, and puzzle solvers to adventure games, these are some of the best indie entries to Steam Early Access. If you see one that tickles your fancy, why not head over to the games Steam Greenlight page and give it helpful hand? Not see some of you favorite entries? Let us know in the comments below!
For The King
Weave your own unique tales in an epic single or co-operative RPG adventure that spans across the realms. Trek across perilous badlands, trudge though poisonous swamps, brave the high seas and shifting mystical forests. The land is in chaos and the odds are stacked against you. Answer the call and help bring peace back to the land.
For The King is a challenging blend of Strategy, JRPG Combat, and Roguelike elements. Each play through is made unique with procedural maps, quests, and events. Brave the relentless elements, fight the wicked creatures, sail the seas and delve into the dark underworld. None before you have returned from their journey. Will you be the one to put an end to the Chaos? Fight and die as a party in fast paced and brutal turn-based combat using a unique slot system for attacks and special abilities. Find and gather herbs for your trusty pipe to heal your wounds and cure your maladies. Set up safe camps or brave the horrors that nightfall brings.
Hellion is a fusion of survival and space simulation genres that pits players against the deadly environment and one another. Survive in the harsh conditions of space and scavenge for air, fuel and other items necessary for survival. But keep in mind, you are not the only one out there. There are others, but will they help, or will they throw you to the void without a second thought? Remember, no matter how brutal space may seem, it cannot hold a candle to man. Describing the game, the developers have said:
“Hellion is a solar system several thousand lightyears from Earth. Despite its distance, it is the target of the first interstellar colonization mission during the 23rd century. Almost a million colonists, suspended in cryogenic hibernation, leave Sol on a journey that would take many decades. However, when they wake up, almost a century later, they find themselves trapped inside a nightmare. Instead of living in a manmade paradise, they are forced to fight for survival surrounded by deserted stations, incomplete orbital habitats and derelict warships.”
The Exiled is a social sandbox MMORPG where survival strategy meets skill-based PvP combat. Cooperate or conquer, craft or combat; every decision is critical as you seek to flourish in a forsaken valley. A classless system means you shape your character to fit your style of play. With no grind, full loot and unrestricted PvP clashes, you must constantly balance risk and reward as you decide how to interact with the world and your fellow players. Craft equipment, construct your settlements and build alliances, as you explore challenging open world environments with unique geography and features. Each skirmish and siege will define your fate, as you vie to win your freedom from The Exiled. The game offers skills based combat with:
- Full friendly fire: Make sure your fireballs hit the enemy and not your allies.
- Line of sight: Hide behind a bush to ambush your enemies – and look behind you!
- Footsteps: Every player leaves them behind – want to be a bounty hunter?
Dimension Drive is a Dual-Battlefield space shooter with a teleportation mechanic. It seamlessly combines shooting and puzzle mechanics. Dimension Drive will teleport you into a comic book styled sci-fi space opera set in a multidimensional universe. The Ashajuls, a cruel multidimensional alien race, are attacking our universe. Fight as Jackelyne Tywood (a.k.a. Jack) in The Manticore, a legendary ship capable of teleporting across space and dimensions. Uncover the mysteries of your past and the origin of the Dimension Drives with your trusty friend and A.I., “V.E.R.A.”, at your side.
- A New Type of Shoot’Em Up: Dimension Drive is a Dual-Battlefield vertical Shoot’Em Up with a focus on smart, quick teleporting.
- Rich Sci-fi Adventure: Unfold the secrets of the Dimension Drives and your past, teleport across the multiverse fighting the ultimate threat, and meet new races and allies!
- Clever Mix of Mechanics: A seamless combination of levels focusing on strategic shooting and real-time puzzles will make you question what you know about shoot’em ups.
- 2 games on your screen: Dimension drive is a unique shoot’em up where you’re fighting two battle fields at once.
- 4 difficulty modes: Normal, Hard, Extreme and WTF! Offer different challenges for different play styles. Play with shields in Normal, or go to the old-school route with one hit kills in Hard and Extreme. If you are up for the challenge try WTF! and try your luck at beating the game with one single hit.
- Single player and local co-op: Play solo or enjoy our unique take on 2 player mode: total cooperative where both players share everything down to their lives, play as a team or die.
- Comicbook art style: Video game meets comic. Experience the story of Jack through the motion comics and awe at the colour rich in-game comic art style. Who said space was black?
Rogues Like Us
Rogues Like Us combines hack ‘n slash combat with rogue-lite dungeon crawling into a fast-paced adventure full of monsters, mayhem, and endless loot! Become a Rogue and make your way through procedural dungeons, fighting waves of enemy constructs and powerful bosses in an effort to survive increasingly dangerous dungeons and find the treasures hidden within.