Despite early bad reviews from critics, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice has pulled of one of the biggest openings in movie history both globally and domestically.
In the US, the film pulled off an amazing $170.1 million. Which is only behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, the two Avengers films, and Iron Man 3. It beat all previous DC Comics movie openings, including the Dark Knight trilogy and Man of Steel.
Globally, the film made an astounding $424 million, making it the biggest superhero movie debut of all time, and 4th all time in global openings. With only The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 doing better.
This achievement will no doubt give a boost to the DC Comics Extended Universe, many of which were teased in Batman V Superman. Next on the slate is Suicide Squad, with Wonder Woman coming out next year. To see our thoughts of Batman V Superman, check out our review.
Numbers provided by Rentrak:
1. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice $170.1 million
2. Zootopia $23.1 million
3. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 $18.1 million
4. The Divergent Series: Allegiant $9.5 million
5. Miracles From Heaven $9.5 million
6. 10 Cloverfield Lane $6 million
7. Deadpool $5 million
8. London Has Fallen $2.9 million
9. Hello, My Name Is Doris $1.7 million
10. Eye in the Sky $1 million